All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

8 minutes ago, Jorq said:

Woah :eek: didn't know he had that many hits

I didn't know who he was before starting this project but listening to his songs I like all of them and so many of them are solo written. :jonny5:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

9 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

BTW thanks for all the compliments guys, it definitely makes posting these more fun.

:heart2: :kiss:

OT: David Foster looking like a Daddy in that pic :jonny5:never knew he looked that good before

Surprised P!Nk didnt make it

Also Kandi Burrus 

Shooketh at Michael not having any sorts of songwriting credit on Thriller :deadbanana2:

Honorable Mention - Mick Jones

photos.medleyphoto.2961546.jpg

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

272m - I Want To Know What Love Is (Foreigner)

84m - Waiting For A Girl Like You (Foreigner)

74m - Cold As Ice (Foreigner)

66m - Juke Box Hero (Foreigner)

31m - Hot Blooded (Foreigner)

Table of Points

4kBcLSp.jpg

Wow, I knew Michael didn’t write Thriller but assumed the OTW album was all him. Crazy that they stopped working together after three classic smashes.

8 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Kandi Burruss

2378m - Shape of You (Ed Sheeran)

497m - break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored (Ariana Grande)

421m - No Scrubs (TLC)

401m - SOS (Avicii)

76m - Bills Bills Bills (Destiny's Child)

Didn't realize her writing glory was so short lived. Wonder why she suddenly stopped writing big records.

But hey, apparently ppl can't help but sample/interpolate her things and whatnot so she better get all her coins forever :clap3:

3 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

66. Rod Temperton

272m - Thriller (Michael Jackson)

147m - Rock With You (Michael Jackson)

54m - Give Me The Night (George Benson)
32m - Off The Wall (Michael Jackson)

29m - Hey Lover (LL Cool J)

Alright 100% creds on Thriller and Off The Wall...I need to get into his gig!!! :jonny6:

Pink - she's so close ugh. Amazing considering she's always being written off for the likes of Christina and Britney. So happy she almost made it :clap3: 

Mick Jones - damn also so close. I Want to Know What Love Is is one of my most favorite songs EVER and I'm elated to see him write this song solo! Ugh if only songs from the 70s to 90s have more longevity on charts, the Foreigner songs could have had more points. Still a very class act :clap3: 

If I haven't said this yet, thank you so much @Ash12345 for all of this! Love reading every bit of the countdown. :hug:

3 hours ago, Mr. Duff said:

Pink - she's so close ugh. Amazing considering she's always being written off for the likes of Christina and Britney. So happy she almost made it :clap3: 

Mick Jones - damn also so close. I Want to Know What Love Is is one of my most favorite songs EVER and I'm elated to see him write this song solo! Ugh if only songs from the 70s to 90s have more longevity on charts, the Foreigner songs could have had more points. Still a very class act :clap3: 

If I haven't said this yet, thank you so much @Ash12345 for all of this! Love reading every bit of the countdown. :hug:

Yeah, the charts were different back then. Now the big hits chart longer, but there's fewer of them and they often peak lower.

Like even though there was quite a lot of turnover for the #1 spot in the second half of 2019, there were still only fifteen #1 singles this year, and only 53 top 10 singles and 98 top 20 singles. To compare, here's how many songs there were that peaked at various positions for two other years.

#1s

1966: 27

1984: 19

2019: 15

Top 10s

1966: 121

1984: 89

2019: 53

Top 20s

1966: 197

1984: 137

2019: 98

You'll see the impact of this with the next reveal. That songwriter gets a huge number of points from one of their mega-hits, and also gets a lot of points from a couple other mega-hits, but also has some songs that didn't do much on the Hot 100 despite being from the artist's peak era and having solid streams because they were in the shadow of those mega-hits. Like I know The Beatles were the artist of the century, but I think even the artist of the 21st century, wouldn't be able to release as many hits (as in singles, not album tracks from album bombs) as The Beatles did in 1964. The A-listers of today usually still only have 5-6 singles per year as a lead artist. Meanwhile these were The Beatles' hits in 1964...

#1 She Loves You

#1 Can't Buy Me Love

#1 Love Me Do

#1 A Hard Day's Night

#1 I Feel Fine

#2 Twist and Shout

#2 Do You Want To Know A Secret?

#3 Please Please Me

#4 She's A Woman

#10 P.S. I Love You

#12 And I Love Her

#14 I Saw Her Standing There

#17 Matchbox

#19 Ain't She Sweet

#25 I'll Cry Instead

#25 Slow Down

#35 Thank You Girl

#41 From Me To You

#45 All My Loving

#48 You Can't Do That

#53 I Should Have Know Better

#53 If I Fell

#68 Roll Over Beethoven

#74 There's A Place

#92 Four By The Beatles (EP)

#95 I'm Happy Just To Dance With You

#97 She Liebt Dich (She Loves You)

You also have a lot less cover songs that become hits today. Like Lieber & Stoller got 5715 points and 106 weeks from Stand By Me if you include all the covers. In the 60s-80s you'd have dozens of covers per year that would chart, while nowadays I think you only get 1-2. Back then I think a lot of the time people didn't get enough of a certain song before radio pulled it, so it could chart again as a cover a couple years later. You do have samples now, but I think artists usually wait longer before using those to give the GP a chance to miss those songs. They usually sample 20+ year old songs.

66. Ed Sheeran

2371912240946611107_4875448.jpg?20191224

One of the most successful singer-songwriters to debut this decade, Ed Sheeran lead a wave of more folksy acoustic pop singer-songwriters that attained success in the 2010s. His first experiences with music were singing in a church choir and playing guitar. He started recording songs in his early teens, and spent his late teens building up a local following by releasing several EPs and independent albums and performing at small venues and as an opening act. In 2011, he got a record deal and released his album "+", which had his first hits "The A Team" and "Lego House", and helped him develop a large international following over the next two years. As he gained recognition, he started writing for other artists such as One Direction and Justin Bieber, and bringing on big name producers such as Benny Blanco for his follow up album "x", with smash hits "Photograph" and "Thinking Out Loud". He had even bigger hits with "%", which dominated streaming and lead to a recording breaking international stadium tour. At the end of the decade, he collaborated with Benny Blanco again, co-writing "Eastside" for him, and with Justin Bieber and other artists on his "No. 6 Collaborations" album.

2379m - Shape of You (Ed Sheeran)

1914m - Perfect (Ed Sheeran)

1458m - Thinking Out Loud (Ed Sheeran)

1316m - Love Yourself (Justin Bieber)

1275m - Photograph (Ed Sheeran)

Table of Points

Uezt54g.jpg

TzWbQY6.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

Edited by Ash12345

7m from 100% of Perfect. I-

6 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Yeah, the charts were different back then. Now the big hits chart longer, but there's fewer of them and they often peak lower.

Like even though there was quite a lot of turnover for the #1 spot in the second half of 2019, there were still only fifteen #1 singles this year, and only 53 top 10 singles and 98 top 20 singles. To compare, here's how many songs there were that peaked at various positions for two other years.

#1s

1966: 27

1984: 19

2019: 15

Top 10s

1966: 121

1984: 89

2019: 53

Top 20s

1966: 197

1984: 137

2019: 98

You'll see the impact of this with the next reveal. That songwriter gets a huge number of points from one of their mega-hits, and also gets a lot of points from a couple other mega-hits, but also has some songs that didn't do much on the Hot 100 despite being from the artist's peak era and having solid streams because they were in the shadow of those mega-hits. Like I know The Beatles were the artist of the century, but I think even the artist of the 21st century, wouldn't be able to release as many hits (as in singles, not album tracks from album bombs) as The Beatles did in 1964. The A-listers of today usually still only have 5-6 singles per year as a lead artist. Meanwhile these were The Beatles' hits in 1964...

#1 She Loves You

#1 Can't Buy Me Love

#1 Love Me Do

#1 A Hard Day's Night

#1 I Feel Fine

#2 Twist and Shout

#2 Do You Want To Know A Secret?

#3 Please Please Me

#4 She's A Woman

#10 P.S. I Love You

#12 And I Love Her

#14 I Saw Her Standing There

#17 Matchbox

#19 Ain't She Sweet

#25 I'll Cry Instead

#25 Slow Down

#35 Thank You Girl

#41 From Me To You

#45 All My Loving

#48 You Can't Do That

#53 I Should Have Know Better

#53 If I Fell

#68 Roll Over Beethoven

#74 There's A Place

#92 Four By The Beatles (EP)

#95 I'm Happy Just To Dance With You

#97 She Liebt Dich (She Loves You)

You also have a lot less cover songs that become hits today. Like Lieber & Stoller got 5715 points and 106 weeks from Stand By Me if you include all the covers. In the 60s-80s you'd have dozens of covers per year that would chart, while nowadays I think you only get 1-2. Back then I think a lot of the time people didn't get enough of a certain song before radio pulled it, so it could chart again as a cover a couple years later. You do have samples now, but I think artists usually wait longer before using those to give the GP a chance to miss those songs. They usually sample 20+ year old songs.

Wow, this is so informative. And yeah, it's relative since someone like Ed Sheeran probbaly could have had a little like The Beatles' trajectory on having a lot of HUGE hits in a span of a year or two if he released in the 1960s (considering he's hypothetically as big today as in the 1960s) but due to the nature of how the charts work these days, his mega massive songs like Shape of You, Thinking Out Loud and Perfect overshadow other could-have-been mega hits like Castle on the Hill, Photograph and Happier.

4 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

66. Ed Sheeran

2371912240946611107_4875448.jpg?20191224

One of the most successful singer-songwriters to debut this decade, Ed Sheeran lead a wave of more folksy acoustic pop singer-songwriters that attained success in the 2010s. His first experiences with music were singing in a church choir and playing guitar. He started recording songs in his early teens, and spent his late teens building up a local following by releasing several EPs and independent albums and performing at small venues and as an opening act. In 2011, he got a record deal and released his album "+", which had his first hits "The A Team" and "Lego House", and helped him develop a large international following over the next two years. As he gained recognition, he started writing for other artists such as One Direction and Justin Bieber, and bringing on big name producers such as Benny Blanco for his follow up album "x", with smash hits "Photograph" and "Thinking Out Loud". He had even bigger hits with "%", which dominated streaming and lead to a recording breaking international stadium tour. At the end of the decade, he collaborated with Benny Blanco again, co-writing "Eastside" for him, and with Justin Bieber and other artists on his "No. 6 Collaborations" album.

2379m - Shape of You (Ed Sheeran)

1914m - Perfect (Ed Sheeran)

1458m - Thinking Out Loud (Ed Sheeran)

1316m - Love Yourself (Justin Bieber)

1275m - Photograph (Ed Sheeran)

Table of Points

Uezt54g.jpg

TzWbQY6.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

Damn. He is really HUGE. And he did it in such a short span of time and not even really focusing that much in the US - he is massive WW!

11 minutes ago, Mr. Duff said:

Wow, this is so informative. And yeah, it's relative since someone like Ed Sheeran probbaly could have had a little like The Beatles' trajectory on having a lot of HUGE hits in a span of a year or two if he released in the 1960s (considering he's hypothetically as big today as in the 1960s) but due to the nature of how the charts work these days, his mega massive songs like Shape of You, Thinking Out Loud and Perfect overshadow other could-have-been mega hits like Castle on the Hill, Photograph and Happier.

Damn. He is really HUGE. And he did it in such a short span of time and not even really focusing that much in the US - he is massive WW!

Castle On The Hill and Photograph were still decent sized hits in the US, but I was also thinking of songs like Galway Girl, Bloodstream, Sing, Tenerife Sea, I See Fire, Dive, Supermarket Flowers and Lego House that if they were singles were only minor hits that didn't get much of a radio push, or album tracks that were popular enough that maybe they could've worked at singles but just stayed album tracks. Ed Sheeran was huge from 2013 to 2018 but he only had a small handful of singles that got a proper radio push during that period compared to a lot of popular acts from the 60s and 70s. It's not just The Beatles, a lot of the other top acts from that period would release 5-10 singles per year for multiple consecutive years, compared to 4-5 singles per 2 year album cycle today.

Anyways, yeah, we saw that there were already a few songwriters from the last 20 years that managed to score huge amounts of points from self-written smash hits with Ed Sheeran, Calvin Harris and Alicia Keys, and there's still a few of those left. That's something that the current producer-writers and rappers don't have going for them, because they rarely have solo written hits.

Honorable Mention - Floyd Nathaniel Hills (Danja)

nhxckn3a2g9lhsbvgvfs.jpg

374m - The Weekend (SZA)

327m - SexyBack (Justin Timberlake feat. Timbaland)

322m - Say Something (Justin Timberlake feat. Chris Stapleton)

249m - Promiscuous (Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland)

158m - What Goes Around... Comes Around (Justin Timberlake)

Table of Points

dHvV3VS.jpg

@deGonzz

64. Jim Steinman

JimSecondNight.jpg

Jim Steinman's career started out writing music for theatre in college in the late 60s, and that dramatic style of songwriting carried over when he started writing pop and rock music. In 1977, he was able to get a record deal to release an album called "Bat Out of Hell", performed by one of the actors from his musicals, Marvin Lee Aday (aka Meat Loaf). It became the top selling solo-written album of all time, with 14m certified sales in the US and millions more worldwide.

His next big commercial music success was with Bonnie Tyler in 1983, he produced her album "Faster Than The Speed of Light" and wrote it's biggest hit, "Total Eclipse of the Heart". He wrote songs for several other artists around that time, and then in 1993 he wrote the songs for Meat Loaf's come-back album, including smash hit "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That). His last major hit was "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" for Celine Dion in 1996. During his time as a successful songwriter, he also wrote music for soundtracks, and continued to work in theatre into the 2000s.

331m - Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler)

139m - Holding Out For A Hero (Bonnie Tyler)

82m - I'd Do Anything For Love (Meat Loaf)

72m - Making Love Out Of Nothing At All (Air Supply)

60m - It's All Coming Back To Me Now (Celine Dion)

Table of Points

cQTiZ01.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

2 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Floyd Nathaniel Hills (Danja)

nhxckn3a2g9lhsbvgvfs.jpg

374m - The Weekend (SZA)

327m - SexyBack (Justin Timberlake feat. Timbaland)

322m - Say Something (Justin Timberlake feat. Chris Stapleton)

249m - Promiscuous (Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland)

158m - What Goes Around... Comes Around (Justin Timberlake)

Table of Points

dHvV3VS.jpg

@deGonzz

That list of hits is hot.

13 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

64. Jim Steinman

JimSecondNight.jpg

Jim Steinman's career started out writing music for theatre in college in the late 60s, and that dramatic style of songwriting carried over when he started writing pop and rock music. In 1977, he was able to get a record deal to release an album called "Bat Out of Hell", performed by one of the actors from his musicals, Marvin Lee Aday (aka Meat Loaf). It became the top selling solo-written album of all time, with 14m certified sales in the US and millions more worldwide.

His next big commercial music success was with Bonnie Tyler in 1983, he produced her album "Faster Than The Speed of Light" and wrote it's biggest hit, "Total Eclipse of the Heart". He wrote songs for several other artists around that time, and then in 1993 he wrote the songs for Meat Loaf's come-back album, including smash hit "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That). His last major hit was "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" for Celine Dion in 1996. During his time as a successful songwriter, he also wrote music for soundtracks, and continued to work in theatre into the 2000s.

313m - Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler)

139m - Holding Out For A Hero (Bonnie Tyler)

82m - I'd Do Anything For Love (Meat Loaf)

72m - Making Love Out Of Nothing At All (Air Supply)

60m - It's All Coming Back To Me Now (Celine Dion)

Table of Points

cQTiZ01.jpg

I loved the Wagnerian rock sound. 

Honorable Mention - Tom Petty

Tom%20Petty.jpg

1062m - Stay With Me (Sam Smith)

564m - Free Fallin' (John Mayer)

110m - I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty)

105m - Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

92m - Runnin' Down A Dream (Tom Petty)

Table of Points

mFAKBDG.jpg

rWYEXDQ.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

Holy Jim is so talented writing all those songs solo.

4 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Tom Petty

Tom%20Petty.jpg

564m - Free Fallin' (John Mayer)

110m - I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty)

105m - Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

92m - Runnin' Down A Dream (Tom Petty)

81m - You Got It (Roy Orbison)

Table of Points

jWPjkID.jpg

rWYEXDQ.jpg

Tom Petty is also officially recognised as a songwriter on Stay With Me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stay_with_Me_(Sam_Smith_song)

You can confirm this on Spotify desktop client just by searching for the song and checking the credits.

5 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

Tom Petty is also officially recognised as a songwriter on Stay With Me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stay_with_Me_(Sam_Smith_song)

You can confirm this on Spotify desktop client just by searching for the song and checking the credits.

Yeah, thanks, updated.

63. Keith Richards

GettyImages-984676068-696x442.jpg

Keith Richards is the main guitarist and secondary vocalist for the Rolling Stones, and wrote the band's songs with lead vocalist Mick Jagger, coming up with much of their iconic guitar riffs. He picked up guitar from his jazz musician grand-father as a young boy, and sang in his high school's choir. He became a big fan of Chuck Berry and learned to play many of his solos. The band's first few hits were covers, but they soon started writing their own songs. Keith Richards and Mick Jagger's first hit as song-writers was actually "That Girl Belongs To Yesterday" recorded by Gene Pitney (#49 in 1964), which was followed by "Tell Me (You're Coming Back)" released by The Rolling Stones (#24 in 1964) a few months later.

The next year, they had their first #1 with Satisfaction and collected a total of eight #1 singles in the 60s and 70s. They had more top 10 hits in the 80s, and a few minor hits in the 90s. His last major chart hit was "Bitter Sweet Symphony" in 1997, which sampled a Rolling Stones song without their permission, which lead to The Verve getting sued and being forced to credit Mick Jagger and Keith Richards as the sole songwriters. The Rolling Stones continued to release music in the 2000s, but by that point they were a legacy act and only a few covers charted on the Hot 100.

413m - Bitter Sweet Symphony (The Verve)

382m - Paint It, Black (The Rolling Stones)

278m - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones)

255m - Sympathy For The Devil (The Rolling Stones)

246m - Gimme Shelter (The Rolling Stones)

Table of Points

vWKhzLW.jpg
ngmofzS.jpg
chneIdo.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.