Everything posted by alien superstore
-
Beyoncé
Even real teases by Bey sometimes don't amount to anything (4K Videos, Met Gala, Renaissance Visuals, etc) but we'd be fools to claim Bey and Jay aren't clearly teasing a joint Super Bowl moment. my feelings are mixed on this - I don't know if it'll be the kind of thing that will give Bey goodwill? That being said, here's one thing I do know to be true... if they're doing the Super Bowl, they're releasing new music for it. IF they announce The Carters x Super Bowl, then I would feel confident betting they'll simultaneously drop a The Carters album alongside the performance announcement. no other major stars are releasing anytime soon, Taylor's come and gone, and dropping now clears the way for Act III after the Super Bowl.
-
Beyoncé
"she kept singing" in all honesty that must have been very stressful. I'm intrigued to see if she'll fly less in act iii's tour, considering the last time she flew she whacked her knee and this time ended up almost falling while having to pretend to lip sync!
-
Beyoncé
i dont think this has always been the case tbf. maybe post-2021
-
Beyoncé
It's not always through her music... Her instagram statement about the EndSARS movement in Nigeria: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGmD76aH4mp/ Her instagram statement on the California wildfires: https://www.instagram.com/p/DEyxvGYx8aB/ Her Clinton and Harris rally appearances: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/arts/music/beyonce-political-hillary-clinton-dixie-chicks.html Her GLAAD Awards speech dedicated to the queer people lost to HIV/AIDS: https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/03/beyonce-jay-z-shangela-glaad-media-awards?srsltid=AU7gw4WMwMHRfVLDCMmbz0vTfmuWM2Nm2IGX7gEOKBoLnrGibv66LJHx I could go on. Her silence isn't just disappointing, it's out of character from the woman we understand her to be, or rather, who she presents herself to be.
-
Beyoncé
Given Bey has publicly spoken out about multiple overseas disasters and catastrophes, I am ashamed that even BeyGood has been silent about support for Palestine. I believe she is a good person who cares about suffering, and I wouldn't be shocked if she's donated to the cause in private, but something public - even if it's through her foundation - should have been shared by now (in my opinion). That being said, this Kraft story seems to indicate that American stadium owners don't like to see advocacy for Palestinians, and stadiums are her venue of this current moment, so I guess that could explain her silence? Regardless, she's powerful enough that I'm sure if she wanted to, she could do something. And maybe she already has! But it would be nice if it was bolder.
- Beyoncé
-
Beyoncé
Good on Pitchfork for calling out the ridiculous capitalist ploy that was the merch package
-
Beyoncé
One thing she could also lean on are stunts. She still has a few feasible collaborations under her belt that - if she chose to make them - would be instant culture shifters and chart smashes. Beyonce x Ariana Beyonce x Adele Beyonce x Rihanna Telephone Part II etc
-
Beyoncé
I think it's been a genius way to keep her relevant for another decade, and make her work feel essential to the general music landscape. I think her logical next step is a back-to-basics RnB album, featuring collaborations with her husband, kids and Destiny's Child, but a project like that would risk putting her squarely in the I Look To You (whitney), Caution (mimi), Golden (kylie) chapter of her career (a.k.a 50 year old beloved legacy act). There's a chance it could be her Mayhem (a.k.a her back to basics return-to-form?) but I'm not sure what that would even sound or look like beyond a return to nostalgic collaborations that fundamentally cement her in a mode of 'looking backwards' that might not feel essential to a new generation. She and Jay will also likely release another The Carters project to try and redeem their EiL era, but as capitalism continues to cripple the masses I think they'll have to radically change up their whole Mr and Mrs Moneybags deal and just focus on making bops. And judging by the way Jay got on the sultry, smooth Donk remix to moan about Twitter I just don't think he has it in him anymore. So yeah, I think its kinda brilliant that this trilogy is lasting so long, because it's really elongating her career, but I'm also confused as to what she could do next that would keep her fresh and relevant. More likely, she takes a step back in her 50s and comes back in her 60s a la Cher, Madonna to have a few final victory laps? It's weird to think about it, but we just haven't really had a major pop star continue to dominate critically and commercially in their 50s without something slipping (either the commercial interest lacks like J-Lo or the critical establishment mocks them like Madonna). Maybe, just maybe, we'll get a RENAISSANCE II someday.
-
Beyoncé
some people here think Start Over is a forgotten masterpiece... Loooove everything you've said here. And yes, I don't consider 4 a flop era, and I don't consider CC a flop era, but I do think both could be acknowledged as in-some-way-lesser
-
Beyoncé
But I agree withe spirit of what you're saying @Cbreezy - if there was any indication that Bey isn't above losing her cool in the sight of underperformance, it was the instagram spamming during OTRII and the subsequent ABC special she made for the Gift (which still made no noise but whatever, she tried)
-
Beyoncé
I The hint of another 4? Yes, Texas was a huge hit, but Cowboy Carter was a 4-scale project for her tbh. The streaming-era opening weekend boost that sent Jolene and II Most Wanted up the charts was a lovely surprise, but to be frank the GP are cooler on CC as an album than they ever were on 4, which had multiple modest hits with BTINH, LOT, 1+1 and RTW, as well as impactful live performances like Glasto and the VMAs. Cowboy Carter had the NFL Halftime which was enjoyable but not culture shifting, a tour that was great fun but not cited in the same league as RWT or FWT, and a selection of album tracks that struggled to take hold (save for the intro of Tyrant which went viral in spite of the full track).
-
Beyoncé
Best Thing I Never Had was a smash here in the UK, as was Ego. Real ones get it. Rule Brittannia!
-
Beyoncé
I do think it's interesting that they wanted to affirm that Bey is a visual artist and pioneer. I definitely think we'll get something visuals-wise for the trilogy when all's said and done.
-
Beyoncé
My money's on March tho
-
Beyoncé
Also, I'm not expecting anything, but I dont think this BDay re-issue indicates we're 'not getting Act III anytime soon' - I do think it'll be December earliest, but she did release CC like 8 weeks after the RWT film, so she's not a stranger to back-to-backs
-
Beyoncé
It seems fairly clear to me that Act III will be a blend of Rock, Funk and R&B Bey has had Wetter Cuff It, Plastic, Desert Eagle and 2H2H on acts i and ii - there'll defo be an R&B jam on act iii
-
Beyoncé
Come to think of it, did Resentment ever get a video?
-
Beyoncé - 'B'Day (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)'
This is so cool to see visualised. Are you able to upload a lossless remaster from this re-release for comparison?
-
Beyoncé
Lemonade, The Gift and Homecoming were all all-caps, too.
-
Beyoncé
CIWY has been put on NMF UK at number 5
- Beyoncé
-
Beyoncé
I wanna agree with you but I can't imagine they've made seventeen versions of Morning Dew just to not perform it Tbh given its her birthday I could see her doing three or four songs Morning Dew -> Welcome to Hollywood -> Upgrade U -> Deja Vu
-
Beyoncé - 'B'Day (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)'
The Donk Mix eats
-
Beyoncé - 'B'Day (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)'
Listen is so iconic ugh. Who was it that was saying Listen hasn't been properly remastered/is still super lossy? I don't hear that at all?