Lady Gaga popularized fandom names. Surprised?

BrandNewBrandon

Whether she did or didn't, why is this something to be proud of? 

• Haha 2

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrandNewBrandon

• GraceRandolph

• suburbannature

• JO1s

Why are people mad at Gaga for having some sort of impact :deadbanana2:

• Like 2

Barry Manilow did it in the 90s...

The Fighters and Lambily exist before the Little Monsters. The Beliebers made it a trend.

• Thumbs Down 1

I don't think people get the point of the title. Yes, there were obviously other stars before her that came up with the idea but she popularized it, her peers started also coming with fandom names to stay relevant. Stop being haters 

• Like 1

All this just to end up selling thongs and migraine pills, CTFU :ahh:

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

48 minutes ago, Frappucino said:

I don't think people get the point of the title. Yes, there were obviously other stars before her that came up with the idea but she popularized it, her peers started also coming with fandom names to stay relevant. Stop being haters 

Telling people to stop being haters yet you say other artists need fandom

names to stay relevant? Do you guys not hear yourselves?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, JO1s said:

Telling people to stop being haters yet you say other artists need fandom

names to stay relevant? Do you guys not hear yourselves?

But in this same thread people attest to fandom names being a thing before Gaga yet there was a surge of fandom names after Gaga's peak, so what are you not hearing? 

Just now, Frappucino said:

But in this same thread people attest to fandom names being a thing before Gaga yet there was a surge of fandom names after Gaga's peak, so what are you not hearing? 

Well first off artists didn't need fandom names to stay relevant before Gaga and they wouldn't need them after.

Secondly K-pop artists popularized it no matter which way you xenophobic monsters try to spin it.

Little monsters weren't a thing till 2011

Lady Gaga performed in Korea in 2008

On a music show with heavy fandom culture at the time where every other artist had fandom names for their fans.

Do monsters enjoy being habitual liars or something?

All the pressed souls in here :deadbanana:

You can hate her & her fanbase all you want but you can't deny the massive impact she had on stan culture, Her global influence during her prime was huge by any measure and it has influenced today's pop & stan culture whether you like it or not...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JO1s said:

Well first off artists didn't need fandom names to stay relevant before Gaga and they wouldn't need them after.

Secondly K-pop artists popularized it no matter which way you xenophobic monsters try to spin it.

On a music show with heavy fandom culture at the time where every other artist had fandom names for their fans.

If they didn't need them why did Gaga's peers started coming up and promoting fandom names? To create a sense of community, come on now :deadbanana: The point and context of the matter is Gaga in the west popularized fandom names and I actually don't understand why something so trivial and silly would upset people when it's encouraging more artists to reach out to their fans. We can both agree that fandom

names existed but if we were to credit people to popularizing it you'd really say kpop as a whole deserves more credit when kpop really started picking more traction in the US after Gaga started declining commercially? 

Oh this is absolutely true. Lady Gaga did that. 

Lambs existed before thougg

• Thumbs Down 1

monsters will turn anything into an accomplishment but i know the op fumed when chatgpt mentioned taylor

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

People in here not knowing the meaning of 'popularized'.

Popularized = / = Being the first, Inventing.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

BrandNewBrandon
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JO1s said:

What is it you STILL don't understand? 

K-Pop invented it (or had it before Gaga) but they are not the reason why US superstars started naming their fandoms excessively in 2009-10. So even though K-Pop used it before Gaga, it is NOT the reason why fandom names blew up in America. It was the impact of Lady Gaga's massive popularity at the time that made every other popstar and their labels go "we should do that too." Mariah's fandom name did NOT do that and neither did Barry Manilow or The Grateful Dead's fandom names. And neither did K-Pop. You could argue that Gaga was in Korea and saw the acts there use fandom names and took it with her to America, sure. Nobody is saying she invented it. But it's HER that popularized it in the US and made it a trend. It's exactly like rock'n'roll music. Elvis copied it from someone else but it's still Elvis who popularized it and made it a trend.  

Edited by BrandNewBrandon
  • Like 2

Kinda surprised the OP is being contested in here. The facts speak for themselves - Gaga undoubtedly popularized fandom names.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:26 AM, ricardoazevedo said:

By the 80s Madonna fans were the Wannabe....

Madonna fans were also at one point called Iconers (after Madonna's official fan club, Icon), though it may have been limited to only members of her fan club. I'm also pretty sure I've heard the term "Madders" a couple times.

• Like 1

Yea, sure. Let's go with it.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

I don't know if Gaga popularized the trend but is it really something to brag about? It's like bragging about popularizing crocs.

Lady Gaga 100% popularised it.

If you were on the internet at that time, you should know that. 

There were a few fanbases with names but it wasn't a common thing. It wasn't until Gaga started actively calling her fans Little Monsters literally everywhere and other artists and their labels saw the connection that fostered, they started to do the same. 

I'm not surprised - she was kinda the biggest act in the world around 2009 when every pop girl suddenly gave their fanbase a nickname !

I'm not she's the blueprint

Well thanks to Gaga I call certain fanbases Little [insert name here] even if they have a different official name so she had some impact here :clap3:

8 hours ago, Benji124 said:

Madonna fans were also at one point called Iconers (after Madonna's official fan club, Icon), though it may have been limited to only members of her fan club. I'm also pretty sure I've heard the term "Madders" a couple times.

Yes it`s true.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.