Lady Gaga popularized fandom names. Surprised?

BrandNewBrandon

Not at all. I guess it was the first fanbase that I heard of. Swifties was next tbh

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrandNewBrandon

• GraceRandolph

• suburbannature

• JO1s

Nicknaming your entire fanbase like is so silly and infantilizing, I'm glad she and everyone else moved away from it. I just cringe everytime I hear one of those names now.

Do people enjoy being referred to as a hivemind that will mindlessly do their leaders bidding?

Edited by Jay07
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pisuke said:

Y'all talking as if it wasn't an embarrassing and infantilising thing to do. There is nothing to be proud or cocky about. 

100%

The way this topic is so deep and profound for Liddos :rip: 

• Haha 3

i'm like Mariah and her lambs say hi

12 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

It is though. 

Mariah came before Lady Gaga but most acts in the 90s did not have a fandom name. Most acts in the 2000s did not have fandom names. Then, post-2009 after Gaga everyone did. But anyway, the articles are there, Mariah was already given credit in the OP. Do you guys not read the entire thing :suburban:

Give up.

There is no evidence Gaga is singularly responsible for popularizing fanbase names. Period.

First of all "Beliebers" predates "monsters". The original was "little monsters" and that one came exactly around the same era as "Beliebers", right at the turn point of the decade (2009 — 2010).

16 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Popularizing it as in making it a trend. It wasn't a trend because of Mariah or the Grateful Dead. 

1970: The Grateful Dead dubs their fans "Deadheads". Michael Jackson fans are still "Michael Jackson fans". Barbra Streisand fans were "Barbra Streisand fans". 

1999: Mariah Carey dubs fans "Lambs". Britney fans are still named "Britney fans". Christina Aguilera fans are still named "Christina Aguilera fans". Michael Jackson fans were called "Michael Jackson fans".

2009: Lady Gaga dubs her fanbase "Little Monsters". Britney fans are called "Army". Christina Aguilera fans are now "Fighters". Michael Jackson fans are now called "Moonwalkers". 

Like, it's about popularizing. Not inventing. 

By the 80s Madonna fans were the Wannabe....

• Thumbs Down 1

I think Mariah did it first. I remember either Gaga or Biebs popularized it for this generation. Mainly cause they wouldn't shut up about it in every interview/appearance lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The glazing lmfao

17 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

As for Lambs YES. But not Beyoncé. Nowhere did she call her fanbase the Beyhive pre-2009:

The Bey Hive is the name given to the fan base of American R&B singer, songwriter and actress Beyoncé Knowles. The name originated in 2011 when Knowles acknowledged the fans on her official website, previously titled as the Beyontourage, a portmanteau of Beyoncé and entourage. After creating and publishing her alternate website, Knowles officially referenced her fans as the BeyHive, a dubbed title used by fans following Knowles second studio album B'Day (2006) and the heavy use of the concept of bees. 

The fan base name was absolutely being used in 2009 already. :skull:

• Thanks 1

Embarrassing thread :toofunny2:

18 hours ago, JO1s said:

Moving the goalpost.

18 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

WTF. You RAN in here misreading the entire thread. 

K-Pop did not popularize fandom names outside of K-Pop. K-Pop wasn't even a thing outside of Asia in 2009 :toofunny2: The moment Gaga splashed onto the scene is when it started taking off in the US. No one is discrediting K-Pop, it's just that it wasn't a thing anywhere but Asia until Gaga. 

they kinda ate you up there :deadbanana2:

The thread reminded me of this popular post from tumblr

spacer.png  spacer.png

The backfire. :rip: 

It was Lambs and Mariah

I agree that she popularized it but the Rihanna Navy became a thing a bit before Gaga released her first song

I love Mariah but I don't agree that she "popularized" fandom names. There was a long time gap between her naming her fandom "Lambs" and Gaga coming up with the term "Little Monsters", and then literally within like a year of the latter every other popstar started giving their fandoms names too. You aren't going to sit there and tell me that Katy, Kesha, Bieber etc. were inspired by Mariah's usage of "Lambs" a decade after she first used the term when it's more likely that they were inspired by Gaga in this case based on proximity. 

• Like 2

This being what Lidl Monsters have to resort to in 2024 :rip: 

20 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

WTF. You RAN in here misreading the entire thread. 

K-Pop did not popularize fandom names outside of K-Pop. K-Pop wasn't even a thing outside of Asia in 2009 :toofunny2: The moment Gaga splashed onto the scene is when it started taking off in the US. No one is discrediting K-Pop, it's just that it wasn't a thing anywhere but Asia until Gaga. 

Until Gaga what? popularized K-pop too?

12 hours ago, Jay07 said:

Nicknaming your entire fanbase like is so silly and infantilizing, I'm glad she and everyone else moved away from it. I just cringe everytime I hear one of those names now.

Do people enjoy being referred to as a hivemind that will mindlessly do their leaders bidding?

Pop stans are to gays as sports fans are to straights

22 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

Pop stans are to gays as sports fans are to straights

Do sports fans get cutesy nicknames like Katycats and Selenatrors?

BrandNewBrandon
5 hours ago, Lovett said:

The fan base name was absolutely being used in 2009 already. :skull:

Pre-2009. That's what I wrote. Which means 2008, 2007, 2006, 2003 etc. 

You gave me a tweet from 2009 after Gaga had already popularized fandom names. Exactly the whole point. Most artists didn't have fandom names and then post-2009 everyone did. 

BrandNewBrandon
4 hours ago, KOMH said:

The backfire. :rip: 

It was Lambs and Mariah

Is the backfire in the room with us? :deadbanana2:

Mariah didn't popularize it. She invented it in 1997 but NO OTHER ARTISTS did that afterwards. We had Britney, Xtina etc. and none of them had fandom names. Then came Gaga in 2009 and everyone started naming their fanbases, even the ones that came before such as Britney and Xtina :rip: You cannot tell me that Mariah popularized it when it took 10 years for the others to follow suit. Gaga coined Little Monsters and in the span of a couple of months we had fandom names for every single pop star. There are literal articles about it and anyone with half-a-brain living back then remembers the shift. Anyways, most people on here agree on this so you can take your disproven logic and cry about it elsewhere :suburban:

old ass mariah fans out in full force right now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.