• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inverted

• A.R.L

• Stankonia

• Yes, AND

3 minutes ago, AMIT said:

For someone who recently claimed they don't take pop girls too seriously this type of heated response is... interesting. Keep your assumptions about me to yourself. You know nothing about my life. 

No and if you knew how to read or wasn't arguing in bad faith you could understand what I mean. I said that people see through her fake "I'm from the block!!" not because it's exclusive to her, but because it also reinforces the, again, false notion that people can just hustle their way out of poverty. Such notion has dangerous implications when you consider the inverse: that people are where they are because of both 1) they deserve it; and 2) they haven't ''worked hard enough'' to better their situation.

Capitalism creates wealth AND poverty. They are both sides of the same coin. One cannot exist without the other. Not everyone can be Jennifer Lopez, or Beyoncé, or Taylor Swift. Not because most people are not as talented, but because the system only allows a few individuals at the top. It is by design. I am not gonna go back and forth on this with you because you will just deny this and continue to believe whatever you want.

If J. Lo herself knows how hard it is... then that works for my point, not against it, lol. It comes accross as tone deaf (at the very least) and she should know better.

I completely understand what you mean and I don't disagree with any of the points you made in bold or your main idea that meritocracy isn't a real thing for most people who don't  even have the opportunity to participate. What I disagree with is demonizing any person (whether they're a pop girl or not; you downvoted me in another thread about another person who became rich) who was lucky enough to get out of poverty and to discredit them for working their asses off to do so. Not wanting to demonize a person for their success doesn't equate to diminishing others and believing others don't deserve anything. That's a systemic issue and those people who got lucky are just participants. 

As for J.Lo acknowledging how hard it is, I'm not sure how that's tone deaf. I highly doubt she would ever agree that her parents, the friends she grew up in Castle Hill, or those women at her own JLLL events mentioned in that article did not "work hard enough" or didn't "deserve" it and she deserved it more than her own sisters and mother. They just didn't have the opportunities she had whether it's luck or just her plain desperation.

Finally, regarding the assumptions made about your personal life, you're right so I apologize (very tacky of me). That said, from my personal experience with the DSA and other groups, I honestly DO NOT believe that the vast majority of people who are vocal about the false idea of meritocracy truly believe in fairness for other people. I think it's self-motivated just like people like J.Lo constantly hustling.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AMIT said:

I'm not trying to justify the hate against J. Lo. I mentioned and argued for in the post you quoted where the sorce of the backlash for that part of her documentary might be. You can dismiss what I said if it doesn't fit your narrative I guess. 

I guess people are all just mentally ill for some reason (not that you actually care) and just like to hate on J. Lo and every other celebrity/public figure. Beats me. 

wendy-williams-this-bitch-say-what.gif

I think the issue here is the isolation to one person is beyond stupid and you can see in this very thread the mental gymnastics some people are doing to justify it. Every celeb we follow is a capitalist. Some like JLO had poor beginnings. The fact people are focusing on JUST HER cuz she's successfully doing her own thing is just wild.

(Not an attack on you just saying)

• Like 3

This thread is so messy, like there's no real justification to be so nasty to one person in JLo's case, but watching people try to justify it anyways is :deadbanana4:

Just say that JLo was randomly deemed a permissible celebrity to use as a punching bag for the strange desire that the stan world has to hate on people, because she has a much smaller fanbase to defend her (unlike other girls) and the narrative around her was to make her the butt of the joke so now people have it in they're heads it's okay to take out their unhinged desire to hate on JLo. Like that's really all it is. She doesn't deserve it at all but somewhere down the line everyone collectively agreed she does and never let it go. 

I know a lot of y'all are feeling hit right now, and if you're offended by someone saying that hating on someone who doesn't deserve it is a bad thing, then you really have to ask yourself why you feel that statement is so offensive to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Weld_E said:

Now post her recent album stats.

When someone moves the goalposts like that you know they've been clocked :gaynetcat1:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

This thread is so messy, like there's no real justification to be so nasty to one person in JLo's case, but watching people try to justify it anyways is :deadbanana4:

Just say that JLo was randomly deemed a permissible celebrity to use as a punching bag for the strange desire that the stan world has to hate on people, because she has a much smaller fanbase to defend her (unlike other girls) and the narrative around her was to make her the butt of the joke so now people have it in they're heads it's okay to take out their unhinged desire to hate on JLo. Like that's really all it is. She doesn't deserve it at all but somewhere down the line everyone collectively agreed she does and never let it go. 

I know a lot of y'all are feeling hit right now, and if you're offended by someone saying that hating on someone who doesn't deserve it is a bad thing, then you really have to ask yourself why you feel that statement is so offensive to you. 

You hit the nail on the head :clap3::clap3:

2 hours ago, Funnyfatty said:

I also have one question to people who live in america. Wtf does it mean when you mention your city you are born into? 

I'm born in The Netherllands Nijmegen. YES AND? :D 

should i spread my legs and act weird and mention YEH DUD i'm frOm NiJmegn :juanny:

Gaga is a troll about being italian and i laugh at that but jlo makes it so crignge BROnX :juanny:

idgaf if you remember where you came from lol i would never go to the city i'm born if i was a millionaire. This “i'm just like you dude (puts her hands on her cap)” behaviour is cringe as f. 

The United States is an incredibly diverse country compared to The Netherlands. I was born and raised in the Southwestern US which has a strong Latino/Hispanic population. Someone born in the Northeast would have a completely different background and experience than me despite the fact we live in the same country, one that everyone from there can most like share and relate to. Meanwhile, The Netherlands is a lot less ethnically and culturally diverse overall, being a smaller, more homogeneous country.

If you don't like people using their hometown in the US as a cultural marker… fine I guess? That's your opinion. But it's very weird to permit a white woman to do it then lash a Latina woman who does the same. Like every single critique of JLo is always rooted in some weird reason, with absolutely no logic behind it.

:juanny:indeed.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

The Netherlands is a very small country. New York City and Long Island (two parts of New York state) alone have a total population that's basically the same as the Netherlands. It only takes like 3-4 hours to drive across the country. That's how long it takes to drive across two cities here. :deadbanana2:

Americans often mention the state or city they're from (unless they're ashamed) because the US is a huge and very diverse country. Atlanta, LA, NYC, Miami, Chicago, etc. are all completely different from each other and there's even a big difference in two different parts of a city if it's a big one. As mentioned in my post in the previous page, the part of New York City J.Lo is from (especially back then) is not anything like the rest of NYC or the rest of the country. :rip: 

Also, this is not just an American thing. You'll see this phenomenon in people from other big and/or diverse countries. For an example, Indians always mention their state because it's related to their ethnic group. Someone like Nikki Hayley is not the same as someone like Mindy Kaling.

Finally, Gaga is definitely not trolling. She, Madonna and other Americans with even distant Italian ancestry claim "Italian." Many Irish descendants here do also even if they're only partially Irish.

I mean Whitney always referenced the fact that she was from a rough part of Newark. What's the problem with JLO doing it. 

I mean why are the haters, who claim to want nothing from her, even checking out her doc in the first place. 

Jealousy i fear. They know JLO stomps on their faves on stage on any given day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He made some points.

51 minutes ago, Weld_E said:

Is your dad part of the elite, privileged millionaires living a lavish lifestyle that most people will never be able to experience? Bffr.

So you really hate JLO cos she is rich and you're not ? Maybe you can move on now. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Yes, AND said:

I mean Whitney always referenced the fact that she was from a rough part of Newark. What's the problem with JLO doing it. 

I mean why are the haters, who claim to want nothing from her, even checking out her doc in the first place. 

Jealousy i fear. They know JLO stomps on their faves on stage on any given day. 

The Dutch user I responded to isn't even a real hater. He praised TIMN in other threads and even defended J.Lo against the hate train.

He genuinely does not understand why Americans refer to their city or state when they talk about their background because of cultural/geographic differences. Again, I think perception rules over reality here. People just don't understand what they're confused about and then many automatically make false assumptions (always assuming the worst) instead of trying to understand the issue. It is completely normal to say you're from the Bronx/NY, Newark/NJ, Atlanta/Georgia, Miami, etc.

1 hour ago, Weld_E said:

Is your dad part of the elite, privileged millionaires living a lavish lifestyle that most people will never be able to experience? Bffr.

No, but your fave is, isn't she? And doesn't she reference Houston and Texas often? Your arguments earlier in the thread were:

(a) J.Lo references her home town all the time - nope, not really,

(b) she doesn't give back to the Bronx - already debunked.

Let's avoid double standards and stick to facts.

Edited by Inverted
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

When someone moves the goalposts like that you know they've been clocked :gaynetcat1:

There was no goal post sis, you're the one who randomly brought her one streaming stat up ignoring all her recent failures :rip:

14 minutes ago, Inverted said:

No, but your fave is, isn't she? And doesn't she reference Houston and Texas often? Your arguments earlier in the thread were:

(a) J.Lo references her home town all the time - nope, not really,

(b) she doesn't give back to the Bronx - already debunked.

Let's avoid double standards and stick to facts.

1. Jlo being from the Bronx is a huge part of her brand. Beyonce being from Houston adds nothing to her brand. If she never mentioned it, her career would be exactly the same. The same cannot be said about Jlo.

2. Beyonce doesn't mention Houston to be relatable to the average joe the way Jlo does when bringing up the Bronx, which again, is the main reason people are irritated by her. What she said in that clip has absolutely no substance and is obviously injected into that part of the documentary to remind us that she's “just like the average person" at the end of the day which people can see through.

3. Beyonce has given back to Houston for over 2 decades. Jlo has done the bare minimum for the Bronx for much she mentions it. Multiple people who live there have called her out for her lack of contribution and have spoken about the horrid reputation she has with the residents of said block.

• Confused 2

The Mariah twinks have been put on NOTICE

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Weld_E said:

1. Jlo being from the Bronx is a huge part of her brand. Beyonce being from Houston adds nothing to her brand. If she never mentioned it, her career would be exactly the same. The same cannot be said about Jlo.

2. Beyonce doesn't mention Houston to be relatable to the average joe the way Jlo does when bringing up the Bronx, which again, is the main reason people are irritated by her. What she said in that clip has absolutely no substance and is obviously injected into that part of the documentary to remind us that she's “just like the average person" at the end of the day which people can see through.

3. Beyonce has given back to Houston for over 2 decades. Jlo has done the bare minimum for the Bronx for much she mentions it. Multiple people who live there have called her out for her lack of contribution and have spoken about the horrid reputation she has with the residents of said block.

1. Weird comparison. J.Lo being from the Bronx is an integral part of her and is unique. It's no different from people referencing that Ricky Martin is "Latin" or "Puerto Rican" when he's introduced or someone calling Priyanka Chopra a "Bollywood" or "Indian" actress. It's a fact. On other hand, Beyonce being from a middle class family in Houston, Texas is completely unnoteworthy and not anything special. It would like Sarah Jessica Parker saying she's from Ohio. As for J.Lo never mentioning it, that would never be possible. All non-white POC get the "where are you from?" question and it's pretty obvious from the accent that she still can't get rid of.

2. First of all, there is nothing relatable about being from Houston. It's just a city to most people. Also, I'm not sure how you're interpreting J.Lo mentioning the Bronx in the documentary as an attempt to be relatable. There is absolutely nothing "relatable" about being from the Bronx. For the last time, the vast majority of Americans DO NOT live in a part of city that's like the Bronx in the 1960s-1980s. :skull: In fact, most Americans and definitely all non-Americans won't even understand what "the block" means. I've already mentioned this in my previous response, but you didn't address any of my points. Finally, if you actually watched you the doc (no, you didn't), you'd understand why the topic came up.

3. Jennifer Lopez has given back to the Bronx since the 2000s. I'm not sure how creating two organizations including one that quietly gives forgivable loans to lower income non-white women to achieve their dreams of financial independence qualifies as the "bare minimum" as opposite to publicized PR checks that give you tax write offs. And again, you're always relying on comments from "multiple people" that you just googled on the Internet. Try asking someone who's an actual resident of the Bronx and had to educate you about Castle Hill (an area you probably still can't locate on the map; don't lie) instead of your Google education. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Weld_E said:

There was no goal post sis, you're the one who randomly brought her one streaming stat up ignoring all her recent failures :rip:

Are you slow? My post which you quoted was in response to a user wrongfully stating that "no one wants anything from [J.Lo] anymore, the GP and the world has moved on." and included stats that clearly dispove this delulu narrative and you did move the goalposts by asking me to specifically post album stats thinking you were doing something as if her album flopping changes anything to the fact that J.Lo remains a successful actress and that her recent movies generated significant GP interest

Do you need more? :gaynetcat3:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I completely understand what you mean and I don't disagree with any of the points you made in bold or your main idea that meritocracy isn't a real thing for most people who don't  even have the opportunity to participate. What I disagree with is demonizing any person (whether they're a pop girl or not; you downvoted me in another thread about another person who became rich) who was lucky enough to get out of poverty and to discredit them for working their asses off to do so. Not wanting to demonize a person for their success doesn't equate to diminishing others and believing others don't deserve anything. That's a systemic issue and those people who got lucky are just participants. 

As for J.Lo acknowledging how hard it is, I'm not sure how that's tone deaf. I highly doubt she would ever agree that her parents, the friends she grew up in Castle Hill, or those women at her own JLLL events mentioned in that article did not "work hard enough" or didn't "deserve" it and she deserved it more than her own sisters and mother. They just didn't have the opportunities she had whether it's luck or just her plain desperation.

Finally, regarding the assumptions made about your personal life, you're right so I apologize (very tacky of me). That said, from my personal experience with the DSA and other groups, I honestly DO NOT believe that the vast majority of people who are vocal about the false idea of meritocracy truly believe in fairness for other people. I think it's self-motivated just like people like J.Lo constantly hustling.

I understand how it can be frustrating to have your fave's hard work discredited like that. We all have our biases, but I agree that we should at least make the effort to keep it consistent. I personally think we should always scrutinize people that manage to get to certain levels of wealth, though. There are degrees to this, of course, and I'm not saying the average person hating on her is coming from that place lol, just that we should not throw it all in one basket because there are nuances to it and some criticism might be valid. There is misogyny at play, of course, she's an easy target for that and other reasons, but reducing all the hate and criticism to that is, well, reductive. 

I wasn't saying that her acknowledging how hard it is is tone deaf, I meant that her whole "I started from the bottom now I'm here" marketing schtick (which, again, is not exclusive to her) is tone deaf and it paints a very specific picture about the whole ''success'' narrative that is not actually reflective of the reality we're in and that is worth criticism. Okay, Jennifer worked hard and that's part of the reason she is where she is today, but that is never going to be the case for most people, yet she profits from people thinking otherwise. 

I appreciate the apology and I wouldn't say I disagree with that, most people don't actually have a principled stance on stuff like that and only use it when it's beneficial for them, but that's largely because most people think that they lose something if another person gains something. Either way that's a topic for another day. 

• Thanks 1

the jlo slander is so annoying and forced . video made points!

Edited by Cult Leader 𐕣𐕣
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Inverted said:

A performance on SNL and a commercial are definitely promo.

4 hours ago, Into The Void said:

Her label will want her to sell and succeed it's business

Thank you for admitting that this is more of a commercial album than just something for fans, instead of the excuse that some of you are using to downplay her failure again for not being able to sell her new song/album AS SHE TRIED HARD TO DO. 

First of all, it's from her own TV show that she was the executive producer. If she was so ashamed of it, she would have asked them to delete it. 

I don't give af what she thinks about this, to be honest, or what happens next, neither anyone else of the people who find this behaviour so cringy.

It is in her own way or approaching that man at that specific moment NOT presenting herself from the beginning, pointing her finger like that at someone who was standing inside his property, that tell a lot about her as a person, if I were her, I would really remove that to avoid embarrassment, but she added it to sound like a down to earth woman from bronx that she clearly is not.

He does know who cricket players and Bollywood stars are. Are we going to pretend they're bigger international names than Jennifer Lopez? :rip: 

Yes, there are Bollywood stars who are certainly bigger names than jlo :rip:

Edited by A.R.L
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, Weld_E said:

It's your prerogative not to care, but it's a valid reason for others to dislike her for. Just because you don't care about how a celebrity acts or how rude they are to others, doesn't mean other people shouldn't. If people don't want to support someone for having a sh!tty reputation after hearing countless stories about them being unnecessarily rude throughout the years, they shouldn't . Call it fragile or whatever you want, but people have different expectations and standards. You might be okay with Jlo treating you like trash, but others don't. So you can keep supporting her and Madonna and who ever you want, and others can keep calling out her phony attempts at being relatable and humble when she's nothing of the sort.

No actually I think a person's artistry and their character are completely separate (as long as they're not doing anything illegal obviously). This whole weirdo bandwagon witch hunt that has been happening over JLo lately is because she's rude? Do you expect famous people to be nice? Why does it matter for you to enjoy their art? It's so parasocial and weird. Newsflash: the people that have the drive and ego to get to that level of fame and success aren't nice, they're cutthroat and demanding. Taylor Swift, the biggest nicey nice fake celebrity is the most ruthless, greedy capitalistic monster in the history of showbusiness.

The conversation about the bullshit hustle culture that's going on is interesting. I agree it's a toxic narrative that capitalism has constructed to wring people dry while it feeds them the lie that they too can become ultra rich if they just work a little bit harder which is obviously completely false and exploitative. I don't think Jennifer participates in that maliciously though, she was just the lucky 0,00001% that actually made it but the vast majority of people just burn out and never actually become rich, no matter how much they hustle. 

Edited by Jay07
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 2:56 PM, Mandalore said:

This year has been very weird about women and we're not even 3 months in yet. First Taylor (lol that flopped) then Ariana and now this J.Lo slander all over the media. Literally playing roulette with these girls for no reason. :celestial5:

How is Taylor flopping in what world?

On 3/18/2024 at 3:11 PM, Mariya Takeuchi said:

He's doing the very thing he's complaining about in this video :coffee2:

Expressing an opinion is now complaining? Wtf

On 3/18/2024 at 3:16 PM, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Flopping tremendously = misogyny now? Ppl use that word too losely

The woman in your avi would know a thing or two about what Jennifer is experiencing. And yes it is misogyny. People keep coming at her looks, relationships, age and now dissecting every little thing that she does. I've been a fan of hers for a long time but the hate train is getting out of control.

On 3/18/2024 at 3:14 PM, Pheromosa said:

is this you? you're so pretty but wrong

No he's not actually 

On 3/18/2024 at 3:57 PM, glitch said:

Not that gay that used to live in the BestofGrindr comment section

The same way you gays live on this site? What's the issue? We all use social media 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 hours ago, Weld_E said:

Now post her recent album stats.

If you don't like her then why do you care and **** like this? Find a hobby or swallow glass seriously 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

35 minutes ago, SchmoodRing said:

How is Taylor flopping in what world?

The attempt flopped, not her. 

The Toxicity she gets online isn't really reflected amongst the general population.

The absolute shite people will say about her and run with is Cringe, like How her tour dates that was cancelled was due to low ticket sales, anyone with half a brain would know that's not how it works and what artist in the history of music would cancel a couple of shows 4-5 months away because of low ticket sales! :rip: for one her tour is selling just fine, and it's already reported that it's set to be her highest grossing tour of her career.

On the music side Her album tanked but was anyone really expecting a Smash? She's nearly 55 years old, she hasn't put out a studio album in 10 years, and this album was the first studio album of hers to be released in the streaming era, she's done absolutely 0 international promotion since may 2013 when she performed live it up on Britain's got talent! They time between albums & hasn't promoted her music outside the US for 11 years was always gonna hurt her music success with this release, alot of the general public who don't follow online Pop culture wouldn't even beware of her new album, as sadly as it's been such a long time most people who maybe used to buy her music back in the day stopped checking for her as the years and years passed with no album.

That aside, she's still doing amazing things with her career, Her Netflix Documentary "Halftime" did amazing and all her films have done amazing on streaming.

Her album flopped but her Tours selling great, her Music drama film and Documentary on Amazon pulled pretty decent viewing numbers and became number #1 on the Platform, her album didn't sell amazing because of lack of streams, But still she had the #1 number best selling album in physical/paid downloads of the release week in the US, the album managed to be top10 in US/Germany/UK/Switzerland/France/Spain etc In Physical and paid downloads in its release week! Doesn't matter how big or little the numbers were her album still managed to land in top10 in physical sales in multiple countries.

Anyways Jennifer doesn't really feel the need to get her PR to reach out to these media/gossip platforms & YouTubers etc to remove all the bullshit hate they spread, we know it bothers her but she just doesn't let it bother her professionally and just keeps paying dust to it, probably why the haters keep it going Jens always gonna continue paying it dust it's not important enough to her to feel the need to address it.

In the last 5 years,

Jennifer has received critical acclaim, her movies she's produced have been number 1 on streaming platforms, her last few movies she's produced in the last 5-6years have grossed nearly £350 million at the box office her movies Shotgun wedding,Marry me,The mother were massive Streaming hits that was number #1 around the world

her tour in 2019 did amazing and grossed $67 million in North America alone (She also had the second highest Female attendance in history at Tel Aviv, she also broke Madonna's gross record in Miami).

People act like JLo is some struggling little C-lister :rip: when she's doing amazing things with her career, Her Skin care line pulled in the figures, Her "Deloa" cocktail line is selling amazing, Her Fragrances Promise & the One (exclusively released nationwide in the UK) are top sellers.

people will just jump on anything to down play this womens accomplishments and success, I mean 30 years later her movies are Still doing amazing, not many actresses are still seeing back to back hit movies 30 years deep in there careers.

Anyways people are always gonna talk straight up Bare **** about Jennifer Lopez just for the sake of it, they will push Fake agendas and False narratives without any thoughts! It's never gonna change Jens gonna keep on going regardless.

The woman's worth $500+ million

Has sold over  100 million records worldwide, has multiple number 1 multi Platinum albums and singles on every continent, she's grossed nearly $4 billion at the box office, has 10 number #1 movies at the US box office, has a top selling fragrance line, has over 30 billion music streams, Hold multiple records in both music and Film, she has the second biggest selling remix album of all time! She's still the only artist to have a number #1 movie and album in the same week.

She was the first artist in Billboard history to have a number #1 Remix album, has a $100 million grossing Vegas residency 

She has the massive success and receipts to boot, she's worth a ******* Fortune! 

She has absolutely nothing left to prove to anyone she's Made it and now it's been there done that, everything else is just because she can and wants to.

She's earned that.

Edited by DanceAgain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The hate she gets is so damn unhinged especially recently. I don't care there is definitely misogyny at play here.

One of the more viral hate videos about her this week was literally made up :deadbanana:the person who made it literally admitted that she never met JLo and only went to her school years later.

also people that weren't even born when Jenny From the Block came out talking about “which block??” as if she wasn't talking about her childhood in the Bronx in the documentary which would have been over 35 years ago! 

Edited by FantasyRide
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.