Pitchfork drags Texas Hold 'Em; calls it "car-commercial music"

favorite crime

I don't see a "drag"

Based on that review they didn't like Break My Soul yet it ranked in their top 100 songs of 2022?

I guess we will see Texas Hold' em in their year-end too  :alexz3:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• QueenBLadyG

• GraceRandolph

• suburbannature

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

She probably assumed that most people would have the critical thinking skills needed to understand that songs don’t have to be autobiographical to connect with audiences. 

Again anyone who is familiar with Beyonce's celebrity power would not take that seriously

31 minutes ago, burninredhot said:

Again anyone who is familiar with Beyonce's celebrity power would not take that seriously

So she has to sing about being rich and powerful because that's what she is right now?

14 minutes ago, swissman said:

And yet that's not what the thread title suggests they said though... is that not clicking?

Saying something is dangerously close means it is almost that, but it's not. And yet the title says they said it IS that.

I'm not saying they offered something so far away and completely different, I'm just saying that this thread has purposefully omitted certain words in order for the "drag" to feel more important. That's misleading and factually an incorrect quotation and an incorrect interpretation of their words.

And yet no one cares

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Revolution said:

we will wait for fantano's judgement

Can’t you make up your mind for yourself?

spacer.png

• Haha 6

That song is not very good sorry, regressing after Ren, sad.

3 minutes ago, Green said:

So she has to sing about being rich and powerful because that's what she is right now?

The gag is, when she does that they get mad too LOL

Well, despite her latest projects being critically acclaimed, Beyoncé has always been a big successful commercial artist, so what now?

d2l7qkj.gif

both songs are boring and mid coming from the masterpiece that was rena

Texas is not that good,16 Carriages however is. At the end Daddy Lessons is still better than both .

• Like 1

I literally thought the same thing. They didn't lie at all

the basement they currently run pitchfork out of is quite literally collapsing in on itself. nobody cares about pitchfork in 2024 :toofunny2:

• Thanks 1

ok but we need the bumpkins to dance

make them have a hoe down or whatever 

19 minutes ago, Green said:

Why not? Isn't Beyonce supposed to be Queen Bey and not relatable? That is exactly what her PR has tried to prove for the last 20 years

• Thumbs Down 1

they also dragged Break my Soul and Rena ended up acclaimed and their AOTY. Take it with a grain of salt

• Thanks 2

I said the EXACT same thing about the whistle part, easily my least favorite bit of both new songs :rip: I mean I thought the rest of Texas is cute (and 16 Carriages is great) but that whistle bit, smh.

Well, THE is not even close to the type of excellence Bey displayed on her last three albums. This is really underwhelming. 

16 carriages is much better. I still have complete and total faith for the album though, I don't think Bey can disappoint on that front. 

Honestly, true. It sounds like a country parody to me as well.

16 Carriages is fantastic, though.

32 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Wildly incongruous to the point of parody to have them on the same record - is an opinion some are allowed to have.

But others feel that the desire from some of the general public to have everything be autobiographical as opposed to inspirational (as already mentioned here) is absurd.

I lean more to the former than the latter.

What are the lyrics in Texas Hold 'Em that are so incongruous? The fact that she mentioned "Lexus"? That she said she's not in Texas?

16 Carriages is a song about the sacrifices made to reach your dreams, and outlines how she's left home. Texas Hold 'Em acknowledges that she's not in Texas anymore, but strives to still "boogie" and have a hoe down with her love interest, kind of implying the "You can take the girl out of Texas but not Texas out of the girl" thing. What's the issue exactly?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, secretgarden said:

the basement they currently run pitchfork out of is quite literally collapsing in on itself. nobody cares about pitchfork in 2024 :toofunny2:

I mean, clearly we do…

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Klein said:

Well, THE is not even close to the type of excellence Bey displayed on her last three albums. This is really underwhelming. 

16 carriages is much better. I still have complete and total faith for the album though, I don't think Bey can disappoint on that front. 

To me it feels like the CUFF IT of the album, the sort of generic "everyday" kind of song.

Karma for not touring Brazil.

:suburban:

2 minutes ago, swissman said:

To me it feels like the CUFF IT of the album, the sort of generic "everyday" kind of song.

Now, let's not insult the good sis Cuff It by comparing it to THE. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

I mean, clearly we do…

do you think ATRL & the hundred or so gays who still think forum sites are relevant represents the general public at large? :ryan3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.