Pitchfork drags Texas Hold 'Em; calls it "car-commercial music"

favorite crime

14 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Surprised P4K has something bad to say about her

Huh? Are you acting like their prior praise for her wasn’t their actual opinion or something? Why would you be surprised that critics have … critiques? They’ve criticized her before. Check IASF 

• Like 1

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• QueenBLadyG

• GraceRandolph

• suburbannature

3 minutes ago, Cain said:

I gave the two songs a listen but idk why she’s talking about being underpaid and working 9-5 and stuff. It actually feels really writercamp’d cause like… you’re Beyoncé, no one relates to you singing that

Many country songs are storytelling songs about other experiences though, just sung from a first person perspective.

I mean Reba’s most famous song is a cover about being a prostitute. :skull: 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

I-

That's true though.

If I said that apple almost looks like an orange, I did not say that the apple is an orange.

Saying that something is close to the border doesn't mean it IS that thing.

If I said that someone's art abstract art is close to the border of being photorealistic, is it photorealistic?

Edited by swissman

1 minute ago, CaptainMusic said:

Many country songs are storytelling songs about other experiences though, just sung from a first person perspective.

i dont get why people think she cant sing from someone else's perspective :rip: lemonade fried ppls brains 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, JawBreaker said:

I doubt GP will eat up this album. Rennaisance underperformed but atleast it had a hit and a mini hit and the album tracks did well too

Be ready to be surprised how www this project does 

1 minute ago, PrettyHurts said:

i dont get why people think she cant sing from someone else's perspective :rip: lemonade fried ppls brains 

this.

And even in Lemonade, there is clearly uses of metaphors. Did her Daddy really tell her to shoot Jay-Z in Daddy Lessons?

• Like 3

Pitchfork: [the song] veers dangerously close to the border of Lumineers car-commercial music

ATRL: Pitchfork drags Texas Hold 'Em; calls it "car-commercial music"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

Huh? Are you acting like their prior praise for her wasn’t their actual opinion or something? Why would you be surprised that critics have … critiques? They’ve criticized her before. Check IASF 

Obviously they have bias (like almost every critic)

Especially if they liked My House, which deserves the drags that Texas Hold 'Em is getting

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cain said:

I gave the two songs a listen but idk why she’s talking about being underpaid and working 9-5 and stuff. It actually feels really writercamp’d cause like… you’re Beyoncé, no one relates to you singing that

I haven’t analyzed the song too much,  but I believe the “underpaid and overwhelmed” line was referring to when she was 15 and just starting out in DC. She has previously said she didn’t get paid for her contributions to their early work. 

Later in the song she fast forwards 38 years and the line changes to “overworked and overwhelmed”. 

Regardless of all that, she’s allowed to sing about not just her life. I am personally overwhelmed and underpaid and I appreciate having music to listen to to reflect on my life and my past. 

• Like 7

AOTY incoming then :duca:

3 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

Well yeah, Daddy Lessons is obviously not bibliographical (Matthew isn’t dead), but it felt very genuine to Bey

I personally found that the two songs didn’t

• Like 1

Are we all forgetting when she was raising Jay’s 3 kids in her home in 2003 :coffee2:

The review doesn't read as a drag, they just don't want to offer a strong opinion on it without the context of the album. Kinda similar to how they reviewed BMS and then ended up in their top 100 tracks for the year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rev8 said:

Obviously they have bias (like almost every critic)

Especially if they liked My House, which deserves the drags that Texas Hold 'Em is getting

There's such a thing as a song growing on you with time. My House was one of those songs for me. It could've been for the reviewer as well. 

Just now, Cain said:

Well yeah, Daddy Lessons is obviously not bibliographical (Matthew isn’t dead), but it felt very genuine to Bey

16 Carriages seems to be a narrative of feelings she may have felt being 15 and on the road with Destiny's Child. The carriages are her caravan of tour buses. She's working hard, not being paid enough, her father quit his job to manage her, her mother is supporting the whole family, they sold her childhood house, she's having to watch her parents sacrifice for her career, and having to contend with the fact that all the sacrifices her family made were so that she could follow her dream. That's a lot on a young teen, and the song expresses this very clearly, I thought.

• Like 9

Someone check her purse!! We need to make sure she’s carrying hot sauce AT ALL TIMES 

Pitchfork dragging Beyoncé? oh this is bad BAD, where are the people who said this was going to be acclaimed by critics? If even p4k of all publications are not feeling it... :redface:

I think she was trying to emulate Dolly Parton's style of writing to attract the country audience. I don't know how she expected people to not laugh at the under paid and middle class struggles part tho :snowball:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cain said:

16 carriages is about her feeling overworked on tour and questioning why she sacrificed so much for her career. It’s a very common and relatable trope for any musician. 

and THE is about…………..dancing 

You’re allowed to have your opinion I just don’t see where she’s venturing into uncharted territory 

Edited by PrettyHurts

Wtf? This track is full of personality and paying homage to her roots. this is not radio filler at all. pitchfork coming through with their shitty opinions again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, swissman said:

That's true though.

If I said that apple almost looks like an orange, I did not say that the apple is an orange.

Saying that something is close to the border doesn't mean it IS that thing.

If I said that someone's art abstract art is close to the border of being photorealistic, is it photorealistic?

Serving Gaga giving an explanation in 2014 :rip: 

• Haha 2

This just like Break My Soul. In the album it will make sense. A lead single is supposed to attract a new audience and, in this case, also introduce a new sound to an existing audience. That is to say, a more commercial sounding song is strategic.

I think we all know 16 CARRIAGES will be the SOTY-winner.

3 minutes ago, swissman said:

16 Carriages seems to be a narrative of feelings she may have felt being 15 and on the road with Destiny's Child. The carriages are her caravan of tour buses. She's working hard, not being paid enough, her father quit his job to manage her, her mother is supporting the whole family, they sold her childhood house, she's having to watch her parents sacrifice for her career, and having to contend with the fact that all the sacrifices her family made were so that she could follow her dream. That's a lot on a young teen, and the song expresses this very clearly, I thought.

1 minute ago, PrettyHurts said:

16 carriages is about her feeling overworked on tour and questioning why she sacrificed so much for her career. It’s a very common and relatable trope for any musician. 

and THE is about…………..dancing 

You’re allowed to have your opinion I just don’t see where she’s venturing into uncharted territory 

Thanks for the explanations, I’ll give them a few more listens with that narrative in mind 

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.