Pitchfork drags Texas Hold 'Em; calls it "car-commercial music"

favorite crime

8 minutes ago, swissman said:

Pitchfork: [the song] veers dangerously close to the border of Lumineers car-commercial music

ATRL: Pitchfork drags Texas Hold 'Em; calls it "car-commercial music"

Why you arguing over pointless semantics?

spacer.png

• Like 1

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• QueenBLadyG

• GraceRandolph

• suburbannature

Well it's true. The songs were just not anything special. It doesn't have to  be good just because it's Beyonce..

Well cause it sucks im sorry to say

Loved 16 Carriages but didn't enjoy Texas at all. Daddy Lessons is one of my fave Bey songs so I need more of that.

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Why you arguing over pointless semantics?

spacer.png

It's not pointless it's literally the entire point of this thread, to share that Pitchfork called it "car-commercial music" which it really didn't.

Pitchfork is a publication that was just gutted, laid off 70% of their staff and then folded into GQ.

Of course they're going to publish inflammatory click-bait in a desperate attempt for attention. 

22 minutes ago, Cain said:

I gave the two songs a listen but idk why she’s talking about being underpaid and working 9-5 and stuff. It actually feels really writercamp’d cause like… you’re Beyoncé, no one relates to you singing that

You're confused. 16 Carriages is about her upbringing, how she left home to pursue music and what she sacrificed in the process. She was very much overworked and underpaid in a girl group at 15 years old. 

• Like 3

They both sound like a generic wallen - Sam Hunt Song you find on hot country Spotify playlist.

Still shocking Pitchfork is honest and didn't write It's something will change the face of contry music forever. :ninja:

Maybe poptism is over for them after what happened recently. 

It Is over for pop girls? 

:ihype:

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

They put a white person on this and let them classify it as Pop / R&B…

No wonder pitchfork is shuddering, the people who centered their personality around their opinions are looking real silly now

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

Serving Gaga giving an explanation in 2014 :rip: 

Ok I have no idea what that means for this.

If you say something is "close to" something, it is not saying that it "IS" that something. If you go even further to say "it's close to the border" of something, then again, it's not that thing.

Literally all this thread title needs is the proper quotation, but what they've done is omitted key words to make it sound worse than it is.

8 minutes ago, 305 said:

Well it's true. The songs were just not anything special. It doesn't have to  be good just because it's Beyonce..

The only person who needs convincing of that is you. These narratives her detractors create...

Edited by QueenBLadyG
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, swissman said:

It's not pointless it's literally the entire point of this thread, to share that Pitchfork called it "car-commercial music" which it really didn't.

It said it veers dangerously close to that, which is pretty bad. What’s not clicking?

spacer.png

How TF does 16 carriages get to excuse the lyrics of Texas Hold ‘Em? Because she’s new wealth and had to work to get where she is now?

There’s plenty of black working class people that resent those with new wealth, including Jay-Z and Beyonce so the excuses are BS.

• Like 1

I prefer 16 carriages and so does everyone else it appears. I do like THE as a song and I feel like the obsession for people needing the artist to relate to every song is getting out of hand. 

Do you guys think Beyoncé & DC4 were relating to cheating on their boyfriends or having affairs when they were 18???

I did peep the Lexus promo though (the way she promoted Tiffany & Co on Renaissance). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

It said it veers dangerously close to that, which is pretty bad. What’s not clicking?

spacer.png

And yet that's not what the thread title suggests they said though... is that not clicking?

Saying something is dangerously close means it is almost that, but it's not. And yet the title says they said it IS that.

I'm not saying they offered something so far away and completely different, I'm just saying that this thread has purposefully omitted certain words in order for the "drag" to feel more important. That's misleading and factually an incorrect quotation and an incorrect interpretation of their words.

Edited by swissman

4 minutes ago, ImpressMeMuch said:

They put a white person on this and let them classify it as Pop / R&B…

No wonder pitchfork is shuddering, the people who centered their personality around their opinions are looking real silly now

It's even labeled Country on iTunes and Apple Music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also Pitchfork categorizing the song as R&B/Pop is exactly while their staff is standing in soup line kitchens for their next meal

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, burninredhot said:

I think she was trying to emulate Dolly Parton's style of writing to attract the country audience. I don't know how she expected people to not laugh at the under paid and middle class struggles part tho :snowball:

She probably assumed that most people would have the critical thinking skills needed to understand that songs don’t have to be autobiographical to connect with audiences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Espresso said:

How TF does 16 carriages get to excuse the lyrics of Texas Hold ‘Em? Because she’s new wealth and had to work to get where she is now?

There’s plenty of black working class people that resent those with new wealth, including Jay-Z and Beyonce so the excuses are BS.

Yes and they will probably not listen to or like this. What's the point?

This is why they’ll all soon be unemployed :bird:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

She probably assumed that most people would have the critical thinking skills needed to understand that songs don’t have to be autobiographical to connect with audiences. 

They're talking as if Beyoncé literally "just quit" her job :skull:

Just now, swissman said:

Yes and they will probably not listen to or like this. What's the point?

Wildly incongruous to the point of parody to have them on the same record - is an opinion some are allowed to have.

But others feel that the desire from some of the general public to have everything be autobiographical as opposed to inspirational (as already mentioned here) is absurd.

I lean more to the former than the latter.

we will wait for fantano's judgement

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.