Music opinions ATRL would cancel you for?

Solaria

Spice Girls cursed UK girl groups as international novelty acts and is the reason why none were able to breakthrough since.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• Gladiator

• Katamari

• Stankonia

ATRL will disagree but I think it’s better to be big in US and a flop in Europe/Australia than the other way around. 

It’s a bigger market, you’ll reach more people and sell more, and honestly don’t cancel me but I feel like they have better taste.

I like the US only acts like Dixie Chicks/TLC way more than people like Kylie/Kate Bush/Bjork. 

• Like 2

Lorde just isn't a compelling artist, sorry. Her hype relied A LOT on the age narrative around her being this young prodigy, and everyone gassed her up, but aside from Melodrama which has some good songs (oh it's hardly the pop opus some of yall claim it to be) her discography just isn't all that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

Charli XCX has never not once released a good song

• Thumbs Down 2

Most flop albums from mainstream pop stars are not underrated, some of you are just fatigued from listening to your fave's best records way too much and associate any different sound as a positive

Taylor is hella overrated

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

All of the faves/MPGs going back to Madonna, Janet, Taylor, Beyonce, Mariah, Gaga, etc. aren’t these musically “groundbreaking” artists y’all give them credit for. They’re corporate entities with full teams behind them who know how to properly market their sound and image, which is *partly* pulled from various sources across the underground/several music subcultures (sustained by hundreds of hardworking artists doing the same kinda music/imagery across the globe). 

this tea 

Folklore is not even in Taylors Top 5

Male artists are more interesting and more fun to stan then girls

Pop girls are overrated

3 hours ago, Love Again said:

Oh yeah speaking of Kylie: I think she’s a massive faghag and her discography is afwul. She only had 1 good album and I loathe her voice. It’s a sugar overdosis. Recipe for diabetes type 2

finally someone says it

i started bursting out laughing hearing padam on the radio then i realised that’s the song ATRL’ers thirst over:snowman:

and then they claim that song is a hit when it doesn’t even have 150M streams and genuinely believe she’s having her hung up moment

• Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Curaga said:

Gaga has the worst lyrics of any MPG. Love early Gaga to death, but even back then, some of her lines were total word salad or just sounded lame. 

Just Dance: “Don't slow, drive it, clean it, Lysol, bleed it” 

Boys Boys Boys: “Love it when you call me legs, in the morning buy me eggs”

Speechless: “He's gonna get you and after he's through / There's gonna be no love left to rye” (Rye isn’t a verb……?)

So Happy I Could Die: “I touch myself all through the night / And when something falls out of place / I take my time, I put it back” (Rubbed her cl_t clean off!)

Judas: “Judas, kiss me, if offenced / Or wear ear condom next time” (I used to think this was so funny, but now it just bugs me idk) 

1000 Doves: “When your tears are falling, I'll catch them as they fall”

Gaga was the first and only artist I would say only that I ever stanned. I was so intrigued by her aesthetic and image when she debuted. But I agree about her songwriting. Apart from a few songs, I find her lyrics rather lackluster and as I have gotten older, I seem to have shifted how much emphasis lyricism has in the music I listen to. 

• Like 3

The emphasis on songwriting and ~artistry~ is tired. Bring back the pure vocalists that used to dominate - singers like Frank Sinatra never wrote, or pretended to write their own music. We need to stop expecting these people to be jacks of all trades

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Orsay said:

The emphasis on songwriting and ~artistry~ is tired. Bring back the pure vocalists that used to dominate - singers like Frank Sinatra never wrote, or pretended to write their own music. We need to stop expecting these people to be jacks of all trades

I'm quoting this because I just replied above about how I care about lyrics, but I agree with this. While I do care about lyricism with songs, I don't think the artist that's singing it has to be the one who writes it. I think a lot of artists who write their own music would benefit greatly from never touching a pen again and instead having people who can write write music for them. 

• Like 7

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Delirious said:

"On My Mind" is probably my favourite song by Ellie Goulding:redface::gaycat7:

@OnlyYou @Element

Bop!! I support you

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I'm quoting this because I just replied above about how I care about lyrics, but I agree with this. While I do care about lyricism with songs, I don't think the artist that's singing it has to be the one who writes it. I think a lot of artists who write their own music would benefit greatly from never touching a pen again and instead having people who can write write music for them. 

And I’m guessing Gaga is one of those artists who would benefit in your opinion :eli: 

I stan Gaga to this day but I will say, I see the point you’re making, though in my opinion Gaga’s sometimes clunky and simplistic songwriting is endearing/does have its moments where it works really well. I also just respect the fact that she obviously is writing most of her own stuff when she claims to do so; there’s an obvious signature to her style that’s apparent on most of her songs (for better or worse). Meanwhile a lot of pop girls now claim to write their own stuff, or somehow work their name into the credits when it’s pretty clear they don’t actually figure centrally into the writing process. Which, to go back to my original point, is fine - its more of a larger issue in the industry where everyone is expected to write their own stuff or they’re “less talented,” “less authentic” etc 

I think it’s created this scene where pretty much every new act “writes” their own stuff when that shouldn’t even be an expectation to begin with. We should be smart enough to recognize that all of these pop stars we consume, even the “true” songwriters like Taylor Swift, are 100% products manufactured for consumption. Authenticity isn’t something we should search for in mainstream musicians, unless we want to delude ourselves! (Sorry for the essay oops)

Edited by Orsay
  • Like 4

Melanie Martinez is the best songwriter and most creative pop girl of all the alternative girls. :cm: 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

Kylie is extremely overrated, especially Padam

• Like 1

All female rappers are atrocious. They are just rapping about their ******* and money in 99% of their songs. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

7 minutes ago, Orsay said:

And I’m guessing Gaga is one of those artists who would benefit in your opinion :eli: 

I stan Gaga to this day but I will say, I see the point you’re making, though in my opinion Gaga’s sometimes clunky and simplistic songwriting is endearing/does have its moments where it works really well. I also just respect the fact that she obviously is writing most of her own stuff when she claims to do so; there’s an obvious signature to her style that’s apparent on most of her songs (for better or worse). Meanwhile a lot of pop girls now claim to write their own stuff, or somehow work their name into the credits when it’s pretty clear they don’t actually figure centrally into the writing process. Which, to go back to my original point, is fine - its more of a larger issue in the industry where everyone is expected to write their own stuff or they’re “less talented,” “less authentic” etc 

I think it’s created this scene where pretty much every new act “writes” their own stuff when that shouldn’t even be an expectation to begin with. We should be smart enough to recognize that all of these pop stars we consume, even the “true” songwriters like Taylor Swift, are 100% products manufactured for consumption. Authenticity isn’t something we should search for in mainstream musicians, unless we want to delude ourselves! (Sorry for the essay oops)

Yeah, Gaga is the one I am thinking of specifically with that comment. My biggest issue with her lyricism is just how repetitive and rudimentary (I'm not sure if that is the right word?) a lot of the songs she's released are. On the other hand, she does have the strength of having catchy melodies that are also somewhat intricate, at least in comparison to the lyrics - and melody is probably the single most important part of a song for me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Yeah, Gaga is the one I am thinking of specifically with that comment. My biggest issue with her lyricism is just how repetitive and rudimentary (I'm not sure if that is the right word?) a lot of the songs she's released are. On the other hand, she does have the strength of having catchy melodies that are also somewhat intricate, at least in comparison to the lyrics - and melody is probably the single most important part of a song for me. 

Melodies are definitely her strong suit, and I agree she would benefit from being more open to collaborating with and sometimes handing the reins to other songwriters/producers. But I think she is in this place where she feels that if she does this, she’s sacrificing her integrity as an artist.

anyway LG7 seems to be coming soon! So we’ll see :duca: 

Sad (teenage) girl self-written lyrics are not the holy grail of artistry unlike most of this forum will have you believe. 

• Like 5

If Morgan Wallen's 'Last Night' was a track on Gaga's Joanne, ATRL would never shut up about how amazing it is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hunter_13 said:

Beyonce should be worshiped, she is the epitome of talent, absolutely. She can write, play instruments, and her vocals are top tier. No one can compare, if we're being honest.

Not to mention she’s an amazing dancer. Her music is stunning and the output of her impeccable discography has been largely unparalleled. :giraffe:

well why did you think we’d be mad at that?

spacer.png

- Britney and Rihanna has zero  musical talents

- Gaga is a bad actress

- Red is not a very good album as many people claim

- Carly Rae Jepsen made better music than most of ATRL's faves

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Katamari said:

It’s normal for ppl to not like your favs 

no need to make a big deal about it 

the original x hater thing is funny tho :dies: 

Agree. Lol. Why people so angry their faves are disliked lmao

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.