Madonna, Celine, Taylor - only female artists to move 200m+ album units?

Jjang

7 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Imagine pretending free streams and fraudulent tactics actually count the same as actual sold albums because some made up site says so and you're too desperate for validation for your vanilla fave.

Now imagine invalidating time people spent to listen to and consume to something that can be also tracked in real time now. Not to mention, no one weighs “free plays” as heavily, but you knew that. :wave:

• Like 1

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spree

• stevyy

• WildHeart

• Lemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Lemon said:

Now imagine invalidating time people spent to listen to and consume to something that can be also tracked in real time now. Not to mention, no one weighs “free plays” as heavily, but you knew that. :wave:

Again, that you are trying to use made up "units" from a made up site to make some sort of point about legends from 40 years ago is either delusional or in bad faith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Jay07 said:

Again, that you are trying to use made up "units" from a made up site to make some sort of point about legends from 40 years ago is either delusional or in bad faith.

I am not using anything nor do I have to make points about anything. Official reports don’t stray that away from this information, so yeah. :smile:
You downplaying methods official organizations measure consumption of music ( or any other media ) is something definitely done in bad faith with a dash or two of delusion indeed. :wave:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lemon said:

I am not using anything nor do I have to make points about anything. Official reports don’t stray that away from this information, so yeah. :smile:
You downplaying methods official organizations measure consumption of music ( or any other media ) is something definitely done in bad faith with a dash or two of delusion indeed. :wave:

Are you not reading the OP? Why are you in this thread then?

45 minutes ago, LOTF said:

Madonna was already a legend by the time Taylor was eating **** from her diapers so obviously the younger one is gonna have an advantage in streaming.

By the way, as per Pollstar and TIME and Billboard, Madonna and Taylor ARE in the same league 💋

I’m not sure why being younger would have any impact on streaming.  This is ATRL where it is bad to factor in context of the music industry.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jay07 said:

Are you not reading the OP? Why are you in this thread then?

I am here to support claims in the OP, because that also objectively aligns with the real world by accident or not - it still turns out to be valid/correct. :smile:
You dismissing OP’s basis/methodology doesn’t significantly change point made. :wave0:

I have to digress a bit here though, because the biggest irony of this “units criticism” displayed in this thread ( some of it off topic at that ) is that even if we go by pure sales only in current landscape, Taylor would still prevail, while current pretty relevant musicians wouldn’t be such a big thing like one of the user has perfectly pointed out on the last page. :celestial:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lemon said:

I am here to support claims in the OP, because that also objectively aligns with the real world by accident or not - it still turns out to be valid/correct. :smile:
You dismissing OP’s basis/methodology doesn’t significantly change point made. :wave0:

I have to digress a bit here though, because the biggest irony of this “units criticism” displayed in this thread ( some of it off topic at that ) is that even if we go by pure sales only in current landscape, Taylor would still prevail, while current pretty relevant musicians wouldn’t be such a big thing like one of the user has perfectly pointed out on the last page. :celestial:

So weird. You got upset about a post that said that "units" cannot be equated to actual sales by saying we should respect people's "time" (lol),  then you claimed you weren't trying to make a point and now you're comparing Taylor to her contemporaries. I think you're confused.

By the way, can you point me to the official body that puts Taylor's sales at 180 million worldwide like you claimed?

1 minute ago, Jay07 said:

So weird. You got upset about a post that said that "units" cannot be equated to actual sales by saying we should respect people's "time" (lol),  then you claimed you weren't trying to make a point and now you're comparing Taylor to her contemporaries. I think you're confused.

By the way, can you point me to the official body that puts Taylor's sales at 180 million worldwide like you claimed?

“Upset” :laugh2:

Point made in the OP’s reflects reality. Mine or your support in that is irrelevant, but here you are disproving everything just like that basing Taylor’s consumption on “free streams”. I am afraid burden of proof is on you since you have dismissed OP’s data in the first place by making it out to be about… “free and fraudulent streams”. :wave0:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lemon said:

“Upset” :laugh2:

Point made in the OP’s reflects reality. Mine or your support in that is irrelevant, but here you are disproving everything just like that basing Taylor’s consumption on “free streams”. I am afraid burden of proof is on you since you have dismissed OP’s data in the first place by making it out to be about… “free and fraudulent streams”. :wave0:

Your support is irrelevant but yet you are here replying to every user to... support the OP? You weren't making a point but now you're making a point but it's irrelevant?

The reality is that sales are not the same as consumption because in your own words, one takes actual money and the other free time and a free Spotify account. Still waiting on the official body that puts Taylor's sales at 180 million worldwide. Until then, stick to comparing her to Bad Bunny or whatever.

• Like 1

Imagine trying to discredit units as a valid measurement of success because of “fReE sTrEaMs” as if Billboard themselves don’t use the same units concept week after week after week after week. Like, literally open up any Billboard article written in the past decade that says anything about numbers and there they are. Those “free” streams still generate revenue - that’s literally what ads are for! Music consumption has changed since the 80s, this is not news!

Anyway. What Taylor has achieved is nothing short of unprecedented. I think there is still a chance another artist gets up there someday, but it’s telling that Taylor will be just the second or third woman to pass that threshold. A legend on her way to the very top. :clap3:

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Your support is irrelevant but yet you are here replying to every user to... support the OP? You weren't making a point but now you're making a point but it's irrelevant?

The reality is that sales are not the same as consumption because in your own words, one takes actual money and the other free time and a free Spotify account. Still waiting on the official body that puts Taylor's sales at 180 million worldwide. Until then, stick to comparing her to Bad Bunny or whatever.

Reality is that industry ( not just music one ) has changed indeed, but it still didn’t prevent us from tracking traction of various type of media relative to the current era(s) and in comparison to the past through equivalent measurements. If you want to disprove current measurements, you can do that freely, but that’s just on you. 

Anyway, provide us and this thread with correct/valid number(s) and statistics then, will you? :celestial6:

Until then, enjoy your free time better than spending it on something you dislike and blindly negate ( sincere advice ). :wave:

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2023 at 12:24 PM, Jjang said:

According to ChartMasters' methodology. 

End of the thread.

• Like 2

album units?

7a26d0a3862b37036ad187749d624f4e46a2f216.gif

literally no1curr about a "unit".

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

7 minutes ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

album units?

Yeah that’s why it’s the way the whole ******* industry measures success and has for the last decade

5 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Yeah that’s why it’s the way the whole ******* industry measures success and has for the last decade

that's the industry and they had to adapt terms because of streaming. I obviously mean the public not caring about such useless language. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

that's the industry and they had to adapt terms because of streaming. I obviously mean the public not caring about such useless language. 

You are right, but “useless language” for everyday conversation is also Methcillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, but public is still aware of irrational use of antibiotics - an example just to highlight how different industries and professions have their own terminology indeed not necessarily important to be known to us like that, but we can still be informed. 

And just like that, public doesn’t care about hard or digital copies either, but they sure adapt to the knowledge of who is prevalent in different circles. And in this case, people are aware where Taylor stands without specifically knowing she has accumulated this amount of - terminology alert - album equivalent units/or any similar terms used by official organisations . :smile:

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:01 PM, Klein said:

I honestly find it insane that Taylor is already up there while still being at her absolute career peak. 

It is insane(ly impressive)!

I was at a party last night and we were debating Taylor’s success!

The worst opinion was ‘I don’t like her music but yeah she’s globally massive’

The best comment was about Taylor being even ‘bigger than Beyonce’

And you have to understand for the GP Beyonce is huge.

13 hours ago, Jay07 said:

Imagine pretending free streams and fraudulent tactics actually count the same as actual sold albums because some made up site says so and you're too desperate for validation for your vanilla fave.

Some made up site = Bilboard, IFPI, RIAA :deadbanana2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Taylor will definitely surpass Madonna at some point considering she gets an insane amount of catalogue streams every year, but I don’t think that they are comparable at all considering the environment both of them grew up in. Madonna didn’t have streaming and such easy access to music like Taylor does now, and she also was releasing music in a climate where there wasn’t as much emphasis on the singer songwriter sound as there is now. SEA also changed the game completely. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Again said:

Taylor will definitely surpass Madonna at some point considering she gets an insane amount of catalogue streams every year, but I don’t think that they are comparable at all considering the environment both of them grew up in. Madonna didn’t have streaming and such easy access to music like Taylor does now, and she also was releasing music in a climate where there wasn’t as much emphasis on the singer songwriter sound as there is now. SEA also changed the game completely. 

You are on point, but let’s not dismiss 1980s and, especially, the 1990s being the peak of physically consumed media as in pure sales of any media within and outside of music. Taylor also didn’t have a chance to sell like musical acts of that time, but she still has managed and manages ( so far ) to garner interest in that department too, which is definitely substantial ( selling 3 million copies in 2020 is definitely not the same as selling them in the 2000 or even 2010, but that’s just shows how remarkable the achievement is ). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Y'all arguing this hard over a fan site's made up numbers (by their own admission).

People argue over it because it paints an accurate picture. 

Would you say that someone OUT of the top 3 actually deserves to be there over the names included in the OP? 

:suburban:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

album units?

We're in 2023. What do you think people care about? Pure sales? Every chart organization on earth uses equivalent units :rip:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

Every artist does including the queen in your avi whose last album wouldn't even scan platinum in any country without those "units"

Edited by Wolf Alice
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.