Madonna, Celine, Taylor - only female artists to move 200m+ album units?

Jjang

21 minutes ago, Alexz said:

Nobody knows hoy many "units" Madonna sold in Africa, Asia and LATAM before streaming so these "estimations" will always be wrong because now the entire market is open with exact numbers and that makes the biggest streaming acts like Taylor look bigger or equal to the pioneers of 30 years ago. It's very simple actually.

I mean, sure. We can never for 100% know what the precise numbers are and maybe today’s artists have the advantage in terms of clarity esp. when talking about Asian units but in terms of global SPS units estimator CM feels like the closest thing we have to an all time adjusted list. 

Edited by Jjang
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spree

• stevyy

• WildHeart

• Lemon

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Jjang said:

I mean, sure. We can never for 100% know what the precise numbers are and maybe today’s artists have the advantage in terms of clarity esp. when talking about Asian units but in terms of global SPS units estimator CM feels like the closest thing we have to an all time adjusted list. 

But Madonna had 32 years of a massive career before streaming was ever invented. How can you possibly compare?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, spree said:

But Madonna had 32 years of a massive career before streaming was ever invented. How can you possibly compare?  

Chartmasters is not the truth, but nothing will ever be. They’re estimations and nothing more, but it’s still fun to use for discussion.

2 hours ago, =NEX= said:

I don't think I wanna be on atrl for the fumes when Taylor passes Madonna's units :skull:

According to Chartmasters :rip:

altho they still cause conversation, but for the wrong reasons these days

at least half of the forums knows that they aren't super reliable tho

• Thanks 1

Where’s Nana Mouskouri aka the best selling female artist ever? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Where are these 180 million albums Taylor has sold? Considering her biggest selling album is at 10 million, and that includes streaming figures… and according to wiki: in terms of pure sales, tallied 37.3 million in the United States and 3.34 million in the United Kingdom. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If I can “buy” an album by listening to free music at home, can I also “buy” a TV by watching 1500 Best Buy ads? Or does that sound ridiculous?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Chartmasters include fraud.

They do not weed out fraudulent streams, nor does Spotify. So Taylor’s numbers are not real.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 10

6 minutes ago, KOMH said:

Yes. No fads who couldn't make it to their 5th era allowed

E933FB1E-ABB9-4A26-BB3E-FCEE5A239341.thu

Drag the girl who bombed with Reputation and Loser, Queen :clap3: 

OT: Can someone post Taylor’s global sales outside of the U.S.? I wanna see how it comped to Mariah’s Japanese-only sales.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, unclefloprry said:

:sleep:

Can ATRL delete all threads related to that unofficial and biased .org site?

As long as we have no other official source to compare all artists this is all we have so you either find another source or just shut up :coffee2:

4 hours ago, Chartman said:

Later in our life Rihanna and Adele should joint the 200M female club. From their strength of catalog units. 

As for Taylor she has much bigger plans than 200M career units. She will be at this mark in the first half of the next year.

Rihanna & Adele have a long way to go and considering they barely release I doubt they'll get there 

5 hours ago, =NEX= said:

I don't think I wanna be on atrl for the fumes when Taylor passes Madonna's units :skull:

Its chartmasters. Not something official anyway lmao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Rihanna could've done it if she didn't go on hiatus, Adele probably will but if she keeps taking 6 years off no one will care, Mariah will get to 200M thanks to Christmas, Whitney is going to be a slow climb to 200M since she's not alive and I doubt people are rushing to listen to her new music that's being dropped by her family/company. Everyone else is irrelevant outside of the women mentioned plus the Top 3 :heart:

Edited by FightDragonsWithMe
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Eternium said:

OT: Can someone post Taylor’s global sales outside of the U.S.? I wanna see how it comped to Mariah’s Japanese-only sales.

I wonder what that makes the girl who doesn't have one album to spend more weeks on the BB200 than Reputation

E933FB1E-ABB9-4A26-BB3E-FCEE5A239341.thu

OT: Love how all women on this list are multi-Grammy winners :clap3:

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Punky Rooster said:

Where are these 180 million albums Taylor has sold? Considering her biggest selling album is at 10 million, and that includes streaming figures… and according to wiki: in terms of pure sales, tallied 37.3 million in the United States and 3.34 million in the United Kingdom. 

She only sold 3 million in the UK? She had a big career before streaming this number is low.

1 hour ago, spree said:

If I can “buy” an album by listening to free music at home, can I also “buy” a TV by watching 1500 Best Buy ads? Or does that sound ridiculous?

Even worse these people buy an album and then they play it 1500 times on Spotify and that counts as a sale. Nobody knows hoy many times I played Baby One More Time and it is not credited with 50 million.

1 hour ago, Eternium said:

Chartmasters include fraud.

They do not weed out fraudulent streams, nor does Spotify. So Taylor’s numbers are not real.

201 days playing Taylor :chick2:

8 hours ago, Jjang said:

According to ChartMasters' methodology. 

1. Madonna - 248,676,000

2. Celine - 199,585,000

3. Taylor - 183,481,000

------

4. Mariah Carey - 178,165,000

5. Whitney Houston - 159,138,000

Both Celine & Taylor will most likely get there next year. However, do you think any other female can join their company, or is this trinity forever

Céline already reached 200M units in ChartMasters metric long ago, they judt have yet to update the pure sales of her last two studio albums (Encore un soir and Courage).

2 hours ago, Eternium said:

Drag the girl who bombed with Reputation and Loser

Both of these albums you just called bombs moved more units than any album released by your fave after the Bill Clinton administration :rip:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

Both of these albums you just called bombs moved more units than any album released by your fave after the Bill Clinton administration :rip:

Drag them. They should be focusing on book sales and stay out of actual pop conversations :bird:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, spree said:

Is sounds ridiculous because you made a false equivalency :rip:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Punky Rooster said:

How is her biggest selling album at 10 million when she has 2 albums with at least 10 million in the US alone? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eternium said:

Bombed with reputation and, especially, Lover? :laugh2:
I hope your favorite artists get bombs like those two. :wave0:

Anyway, people who whine and cry about physical sales and streaming, hopefully do realize today’s artists don’t have advantage of massive pure sales, but that’s why we have relative measurments. However, Taylor is doing great on both fronts, which is even more impressive since the adjustment to all formats is fantastic. :smitten2:

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.