Madonna, Celine, Taylor - only female artists to move 200m+ album units?

Jjang

20 minutes ago, Feanor said:

How is it ridiculous when that's exactly what the IFPI is also doing? Their annual Top Artists list is based on SPS units. Just because they closely guard their numbers does not mean those numbers don't exist. All Chartmasters does is to try to give all of this more transparency.

each market has a different SPS formula, RIAA has one methodology, UK has another, ARIA another.

CM applies the RIAA formula of 1500 = 1 unit to global streams.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spree

• stevyy

• WildHeart

• Lemon

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for Taylor to become #1. It's only a matter of time. Only the biggest artist ever :WAP:

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Finkypop said:

I can't wait for Taylor to become #1. It's only a matter of time. Only the biggest artist ever :WAP:

Honestly, it's probably going to happen even sooner than most of us expected when this thread initially opened, since she's moving so quickly still. She's about 13 days from reaching 200m units at her current pace. With TTPD, more rerecordings, and more of the Eras tour yet to come, I can't imagine it takes her more than a year and a half to take the lead at this rate. Maybe two years if year 2 of full Taylor Mania is a little less intense than 2023 was.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:38 AM, LittleStarmen said:

with this random methodology?

I just saw that BTS is higher rabking than Backstreet Boys...

BSB were bigger than bts ever been...

Really? I don't follow chartmasters, but this is not it.

5 minutes ago, Mandalay said:

Really? I don't follow chartmasters, but this is not it.

The Backstreet Boys released 4 albums in their peak. BTS released 10 and another bunch of eps, singles, and compilation records.  So BTS with all their releases only just now surpassing the Backstreet Boys if anything supports that the Backstreet Boys were bigger.  

9 hours ago, LittleStarmen said:

1000 streams is something someone listening to one artist could do in 2 days. such nonsense metric

It would be much easier for that person to just bulk buy a few albums like back in the day :) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, byzantium said:

It would be much easier for that person to just bulk buy a few albums like back in the day :) 

No because that would cost them 50 bucks or more

With your 9,99 spotify you have have unlimited plays lol

8 hours ago, Poncho Barlliams said:

Please don't act like this is something very difficult to achieve, Taylor in 2023 had 26 billion streams on Spotify alone.

Imagine on other platforms such as YouTube, Amazon Music, Pandora, Apple Music etc... we can assume that in just 1 year it she generated flows that Madonna took years to sell with 1 album.

You act like doing 26 billions Spotify streams in a year is easy to do, and not the all time record that was boosted by 2 rereleases, a late 2022 album and the biggest tour of all time accompanied by the biggest tour film. :rip:

And my point remains, Madonna wasn't just selling 1 album at a time. People were buying different albums, that's why she would accumulate catalogue sales, the same way people are streaming different Taylor Swift albums today, allowing her to accumulate album units. 

4 hours ago, Klein said:

You act like doing 26 billions Spotify streams in a year is easy to do, and not the all time record that was boosted by 2 rereleases, a late 2022 album and the biggest tour of all time accompanied by the biggest tour film. :rip:

And my point remains, Madonna wasn't just selling 1 album at a time. People were buying different albums, that's why she would accumulate catalogue sales, the same way people are streaming different Taylor Swift albums today, allowing her to accumulate album units. 

Global population:

1980: 4,4 billion (Madonna / Celine debuted in 1983 and 1981 respectively)

1990: 5,3 billion 

2000: 6,1 billion (Physical music media began to decline in 2002, the physical single was already dead).

2010: 6,9 billion

2014: 7,3 billion (Streaming became the dominant music consumption platform)

2020: 7,8 billion

2023: 8,0 billion

Then add to that inflation.

Furthermore: Madonna and Co... debuted more than a decade pre-the alltime physical sales peak. 

In 2023 the music industry reached a new alltime peak in revenue. Over 20 years after the previous peak. 

Physical music media went out of print. Digital music media didn't. The audience of all music artists has exploded due to its availability. 

Taylor is the queen of streaming. Rihanna is the queen of digital media and Madonna is the queen of physical media. 

In their respective times and eras they should be ranked and not by overall consumption. The concept of consumption was introduced in the mid 2010s, not in 1980, or 1970 or 1960. The modern music industry was established in 1958.

12 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

Honestly, it's probably going to happen even sooner than most of us expected when this thread initially opened, since she's moving so quickly still. She's about 13 days from reaching 200m units at her current pace. With TTPD, more rerecordings, and more of the Eras tour yet to come, I can't imagine it takes her more than a year and a half to take the lead at this rate. Maybe two years if year 2 of full Taylor Mania is a little less intense than 2023 was.

I wonder how Madonna's updated numbers look like too since her last update was in 2017 

Celine Dion - 200,001,000 (+3,000) 

congratulations :clap3:

Taylor is coming in a week. 

• Thanks 1

Celine :heart2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.