STOP IT with the (Insert Act) During (Artist) Concert Threads

Shakira completely copies Taylor Merch

FolkLover1989

Madonna did not invent the pop era concept and reinventing yourself only to have y'all *boops* thinking Taylor or Shakira had something to do with it. :skull:

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• FolkLover1989

• vuelve88

• Giancor

LMAO shell see Shakira in court too

I opened this thread just to say that you guys were overreacting but damn I did not expect an exact copy 

2 minutes ago, MidnightsAtPeace said:

I opened this thread just to say that you guys were overreacting but damn I did not expect an exact copy 

Exactly my thought as I first opened this lol

6 minutes ago, Tropical said:

Madonna did not invent the pop era concept and reinventing yourself only to have y'all *boops* thinking Taylor or Shakira had something to do with it. :skull:

no one is claiming Taylor or Shakira invented eras, this thread is about an artistic design that has been copied lolol

Edited by WeFoundTrouble
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

Shakira's team was super dumb for copying the style of the literally the most popular artist in the world. :ahh:  

spacer.png

We’re they though ? :gaycat5: Isn’t your artist the queen of marketing and getting people

to talk? Maybe Shakira’s team is learning finally.

1 hour ago, Trent W said:

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Taylos sues

I mean Olivia was a fan and she didn’t let that one slide

Shakira is a stranger

If she has the grounds to do so, Im sure she will sue :toofunny2:

I don't think there will be a lawsuit since the copy is so blatant. 

Probably they will agree to something behind the scenes and whoever is responsible for the Shakira design will be fired :rip:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

Beyonce_-_4-_The_Remix.png

From 2012

And yet this looks nothing like Taylor’s merchandise so there is no copying or plagiarism involved… unlike the blatant similarities in the Shakira & Taylor merch :rip: 

• Like 2

Just now, WeFoundTrouble said:

And yet this looks nothing like Taylor’s merchandise so there is no copying or plagiarism involved… unlike the blatant similarities in the Shakira & Taylor merch :rip: 

Hmm...  I don't think I agree

She has the nerve to put one of the biggest flops of her career as an "iconic look" lmao (Copa Vacia)

Edited by unclefloprry
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

Hmm...  I don't think I agree

… how? 

NiatBGX.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

… how? 

NiatBGX.gif

I don't agree with the statement that Taylor and Bey's designs look "nothing alike"

2 hours ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

I’m not using plagiarism in legal jargon I’m using it colloquially. If I’m in an art class and I draw a bowl of fruit with my name layered on top in times new Roman and someone else draws a bowl of fruit, just colored differently but the same font placed in the same place, when we turn those projects in the teacher would ask which of us plagiarized the other. Imo that’s no different here 

Sis, I'm sorry but you're just like..empirically wrong. 

"I don't mean legally" - then what is your point? It's nonsensical to bring up plagiarism in academia. 1) Based on what you said, you both would fail for being unoriginal. 2) Plagiarism in academia would see you fail not because you committed trademark infringement but because you're in the unique context of education and being asked to apply your ideas to a prompt to show you understand the elements of design you were taught. You'll fail for trying to cheat the assessment, not for unoriginality.

You can't just trademark indistinguishable elements of design. Your comparison is like saying because you drew a circle, anyone else who draws circles in the same way is copying you. No, you have to show elements are distinct. Why do you think so many pop acts have made official merch in the style of 90s rapper tees despite them all largely similarly with the same design elements? You can't trademark an aesthetic~*

Taylor being lawsuit happy with fans seems to have confused some people. Taylor can sue fans for having merch dupes not because she owns the creative idea, but because she owns her likeness and identity. 

The Shakira pullover:

- Uses no likeness of Taylor (duh)

- Uses a different typeface (and since you didn't answer, I looked up the typeface for Taylor's and it's not a custom one she commissioned)

- Uses illustrations in a different art style 

Now, is it unoriginal? Sure. But the idea is so simple and bare in its design that we see its very easy to be similar (see Taylor inadvertently copying elements from the Beyonce EP cover) and it's a matter of business more-so than legalese. Will Shakira's label think their money was well spent on such an unoriginal design? Maybe. Maybe not. 

But being unoriginal is not a crime, and if it were, both designers of either Taylor and Shakira's shirts would be getting life in chair. *gavel bang* [Khia voice] Electric chair. 

Edited by Communion
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.