Colbie Caillat: what went wrong?

Fastlane

2 hours ago, Future Lover said:

Idk but I love this song

This was my first favorite song ever :jonny:

Nothing. Not everyone has to last forever in their career. She had a decent career and is not longer popular. My god.

I used to stan her. She doesn’t have many hardcore fans like Sara does if that makes sense? But she had a lot of HAC/AC hits.

Stream her best singles!

• Like 1

We already had Natasha Bedingfield and she scored a cute moment with "Bubbly" but before you know it, Kesha, Katy, Rih, Gaga and Taylor came to take over 

I liked her music back then but she was very hollister / A&F core lol. She didn’t seem to ever evolve past that image, it’s like she got stuck in laguna beach. Idk if she ever tried to though, didn’t keep up 

6 hours ago, Fastlane said:

Her lead single “Falling into You” was a frontloaded mess on Hot 100, despite high-profile performances: 12–35–62.

12–35–62-59-43-44-53-46-18-15-23-35-33-31-28-25-26-29-25-25-28-32-33-39-44-38-38-39-42-46-45

I don't think this is a frontloaded mess:gaycat7:

• Like 2

She actually has quiet a lot of known and noticed songs: Bubbly, Lucky, Fallin' For You, Brighter Than The Sun, Try, Realize.

It's actually surprising her popularity remained for a good few years. She also had good label support for a while. She is set for life performing at smaller venues and festivals. 

These last two singles she released (Worth It, Pretend) are amazing and I haven't stopped playing them. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 1:56 AM, TomTom2288 said:

Not you butchering her best single Fallin‘ For You like that :skull:.

Colbie was my first fave before Kesha and I still have a very soft spot for her. In my opinion, the primary mistakes were the unnecessary Christmas album nobody asked for and then Gypsy Heart.

She tried way too hard to pander to mainstream pop with Gypsy Heart (most notably evidenced by its Ryan Tedder-produced lead single that completely failed to take off) and the album as a whole felt too try-hard and bland compared to her previous albums. After that, she went independent, which was like the final nail in the coffin for her in terms of success.

I do believe that she could have remained somewhat successful if the Christmas album had never happened and she had released an album that would have been more in the vein of Breakthrough/All Of You instead of a mainstream-pandering attempt like Gypsy Heart.

Mistletoe is an xmas classic though

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.