Can black artist get away with less than mediocre vocals like Taylor?

Kingdom

3 minutes ago, Ice Cream Skies said:

Alicia Keys... all made careers out of barely being able to sing.

what?! :redface:

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lonnie

• Sex with Rih

• Josh

• ImsoLOUD

First of all, Rihanna and Ciara immediately come to mind.

Secondly, black women who can't sing just rap if they want to get into music. That's why you don't see Ice Spice out here trying to hit high notes :rip:

Third, Taylor is a singer-songwriter which is a different skillset than Beyonce or Rihanna.

Rihanna obv. Weak vocals, bad albums aside Anti and maybe Rated R, lack of songwriting and a terrible performer. 
Alicia has weak vocals but she’s a great songwriter. Her albums are also great. Taylor might not be a great singer/dancer but at least she has great albums and can write/play instruments. 

people saying rihanna,  she has a good voice, she was reason I got Into Pop/ female singers in 2005 because I liked the tone of her voice.:biblio:

OT: yes? 

This is a messy question, and we all know the answer to it...

But don't use Queen Riri as an excuse. Her vocals >

this thread is the definition of some people repeating something and thinking it'll be true

7 hours ago, Zoe_ said:

Ashanti

Did ashanti have a career like taylor’s? 
Not to mention ashanti’s vocals were used to save a certain career and I’m not even a fan btw

Edited by A.R.L

On 4/20/2023 at 6:31 PM, TheArgonaut said:

Rihanna is not a better vocalist than Taylor.

Rihanna is objectively a better vocalist than Taylor. 

Both are not known for amazing vocals, though but Rihanna is hands down better of the two.

I'd say Rihanna, Mary J Blige, Ashanti, TLC, Diana Ross, Ciara, and Janet Jackson (I love all of them) have mediocre vocals.

With Janet and Ciara they are exceptional performers to overcompensate.

TLC is stylistic. T boz raspy tone is so signature and wonderful

Diana Ross...Miss Diana Ross is supreme as a diva who can still put on a show even with her limitations.

So it's not that a black artist can't and hasn't gotten away with mediocre vocals it's just easier for people to focus on white artists not known for their vocals like Taylor, Madonna, Britney, Selena Gomez, Jennifer Lopez, Paula Abdul etc. because you can drag them and you won't be called racists.

Tone draws people in way more vocal range: ask Christina Aguilera, En Vogue, SWV, Patti Labelle who have amazing vocals but their peers are more in demand.

Hits are based off studio recordings and Taylor's studio recordings are mostly good. No one needs 3 octaves, riffs and runs to enjoy a song. 

7 hours ago, A.R.L said:

Did ashanti have a career like taylor’s? 
Not to mention ashanti’s vocals were used to save a certain career and I’m not even a fan btw

Ashanti had an era of smash after smash, which proves vocals were not a barrier to entry.

8 minutes ago, superben said:

You all acting like vocal is the only aspect on an artist :rip: 

She's a singer first and foremost but she cannot sing and she's hugely successful at it, see what is perplexing us?

Funny the people some are naming don't get away with it. They've never experienced the success of Taylor. Also those girls actually have some vocal talent. May not be the best. Just stop imo. 

Ashanti comes to mind. Most of this

forum is too young to remember but when she came out everyone use to clown her vocals.

Ciara is not a great singer as well but she made up for it with performance and dance. Some will say Janet Jackson as well. But she too was a phenomenal visionary and performer.

But all had nice tonality

Taylor to me has shitty tone.

Edited by FreeXone

Kanye smashed with Power. I don't know why ATRL has recently become obsessed with vocals. No one cares, does the song sound good? Can I sing along? Is the delivery listenable?

3 minutes ago, Sex with Rih said:

She's a singer first and foremost but she cannot sing and she's hugely successful at it, see what is perplexing us?

No one listens to anti hero and questions the vocals. What's perplexing is why people don't understand the concept of music being an expressive art form 

Girl, as if anyone wants to hear vocals :deadbanana2:

We're not in 90s anymore 

6 minutes ago, Sex with Rih said:

She's a musician first and foremost. Being a singer is just one of the many aspects of being a musician. 

1 minute ago, Otter said:

No one listens to anti hero and questions the vocals. What's perplexing is why people don't understand the concept of music being an expressive art form 

If it weren't for the lip syncing on her eras tour, she'd literally sound dreadful singing Anti hero:rip: 

13 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

She's a musician first and foremost. Being a singer is just one of the many aspects of being a musician. 

I don't think people are streaming her music because she plays an instrument or attending her tours because she composes her music. They do this because sings( for lack of a better word) and her success comes as a  shock when you hear her singing( or lack thereof).

7 minutes ago, Sex with Rih said:

I don't think people are streaming her music because she plays an instrument or attending her tours because she composes her music. They do this because sings( for lack of a better word) and her success comes as a  shock when you hear her singing( or lack thereof).

Musicians MAKE the songs that people are then listening to, and if they make a good song then people like it. They might not care about who wrote the song or who played the instruments, but they care that the final product sounds good. If Taylor is seeing such a tremendous success, that simply means tons of people actually like the music she made. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.