JLo more talented than Mariah. Why?

TheVelvetFg

The best thing is that Mimi stans do not even have to go and pull ancient receipts when their latest albums say it all:

A blue-tinted image of Carey in a dark strapped dress, against a light-pink background.

An album that Mariah wrote and produced and that has actually made year-end lists

JLo - AKA.png

An album with Pitbull and Iggy Azalea features produced and written by the biggest games in pop music at the time that still was flopped and was panned

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• JustLikeHoney

• stevyy

• Rocket

35 minutes ago, banterfly said:

As a singer, I don't see JLo ever getting any actual critical acclaim no matter how stable her 1.5-octave voice is at age 60. I could see her riding on some popular young artist to give her a quick hit or 2 though.

As an actress, don't know how long she can maintain leading in romantic comedies. That genre is, unfortunately, ageist. Literally zero acclaimed directors are giving her any material to expand her range beyond her stereotypical roles (sexy roles with some humor). Who knows Ben Affleck might carve out a role for her in one of his movies...?

As a matter of fact, the winners of this years best actress were over 60. I also believe JLC had never been nominated before. Even if JLO is discredited, theres no denying momentum is on her side. She may very well get her flowers in the coming years. 

16 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

The JLo hate in general is so forced :doc: Mariah stans keep trying to paint JLo as this "fad" or whatever, when JLo is literally more famous than Mariah Carey in my country and continent :giraffe: Like I'm not joking when I say that EVERYONE knows her

And this song is bigger than any Mariah song if we exclude the Xmas classic

This thread was about "talent" though, and was started by a JLo fan who was clearly expecting this.

And yikes at that being JLo's biggest song though. How does that even show any of her talent?

Mariah's biggest hits were written and produced by her. And her biggest hits actually hit deep, which is why many years later they are still played and talked about. Fantasy was just used in a Ryan Reynolds movie, and Always be my baby was just used in an HBO show. Most recently, you've got It's a wrap. That's how classics work. Would you say the same for OTF in 20 years? Would it be more than just a "club banger" from a certain time period?

4 minutes ago, toxicgenie said:

As a matter of fact, the winners of this years best actress were over 60. I also believe JLC had never been nominated before. Even if JLO is discredited, theres no denying momentum is on her side. She may very well get her flowers in the coming years. 

I'm not counting her out. Just saying she will NEVER win anything for the roles that she's been getting lately. She might eventually if she breaks out of her mold and gets to try a truly challenging role.

Mariah's skill

Voice = 9/10 (1990-1996)

8/10 (1997-2006)

3/10 (2007-Now)

Dancing = 0.5/10

Stage presence = 1/10

JLO's skill

Voice = 6/10

Dancing = 8.5/10

Stage presence = 7/10

JLO wins 👏👏👏

7 minutes ago, Eclass said:

Mariah's skill

Voice = 9/10 (1990-1996)

8/10 (1997-2006)

3/10 (2007-Now)

Dancing = 0.5/10

Stage presence = 1/10

JLO's skill

Voice = 6/10

Dancing = 8.5/10

Stage presence = 7/10

JLO wins 👏👏👏

Laughable

1 minute ago, Eclass said:

Mariah's skill

Voice = 9/10 (1990-1996)

8/10 (1997-2006)

3/10 (2007-Now)

Dancing = 0.5/10

Stage presence = 1/10

JLO's skill

Voice = 6/10

Dancing = 8.5/10

Stage presence = 7/10

JLO wins 👏👏👏

Mariah's skill:

Voice (RS #4 Greatest singers of all time) = 10/10

Dancing = 0.5

Stage presence = 1/10

Songwriting (Hall of famer, 18 #1s as a songwriter) = 10/10

Production (3 AOTY nominations, best r&b album) = 8/10

JLo's:

Voice (RS list N/A, any list N/A) = 0.5/10

Dancing (as a former backup dancer) = 8.5/10

Stage presence = 7/10

Songwriting = 0.5/10

Production (n/a) = 0/10

9 minutes ago, Eclass said:

Mariah's skill

Voice = 9/10 (1990-1996)

8/10 (1997-2006)

3/10 (2007-Now)

Dancing = 0.5/10

Stage presence = 1/10

JLO's skill

Voice = 6/10

Dancing = 8.5/10

Stage presence = 7/10

JLO wins 👏👏👏

doing-math-wrong-answer.gif

Mariah is one of the best singers, while Jennifer is a shitty singer.

Jennifer is one of the best performers, while Mariah is a shitty performer.

1 minute ago, ToMmY said:

Mariah is one of the best singers, while Jennifer is a shitty singer.

Jennifer is one of the best performers, while Mariah is a shitty performer.

In 2023, sure, but we can easily reference 15 years of strong vocal performances, stage presence, and standing ovations.

How did this thread get 11 pages? :deadbanana4: Based on one of the most egregious questions of an time. 

33 minutes ago, Eclass said:

Mariah's skill

Voice = 9/10 (1990-1996)

8/10 (1997-2006)

3/10 (2007-Now)

Dancing = 0.5/10

Stage presence = 1/10

JLO's skill

Voice = 6/10

Dancing = 8.5/10

Stage presence = 7/10

JLO wins 👏👏👏

Not there being only a 3 point difference in Mariah and JLo's vocals :rip:

at that rate may as well give Mariah a 6/10 in dancing for the honey choreo

4 hours ago, Punky Rooster said:

Mariah is the better vocalist and songwriter

Jenny is the better performer, dancer and actor

Both are Queens and there is no need to pit them against each other.

Show me a role that Jennifer was better in than Mariah in Precious. I say this as a JLo fan. :cm: 

Not only is Mariah Carey a phenomenal vocalist, songwriter and producer but she has the ability to live rent free in people's minds.
Mimi is getting all of the haters hot and bothered without even doing anything. :gayriahcat2:

Interesting the mods are allowing this thread to stay open. On topic the All Lives Matter star J Lo is not more talented, in fact, I'd say she's less talented than Selena Gomez at this point.

JustLikeHoney
2 hours ago, stevyy said:

Mariah at #1 on the charts and J.LO... I'm not sure. (what that would sound like). 

Nah, by that point Rockin Around the Christmas Tree will keep blocking her #1. :bibliahh:

But JLo will still be making movies, producing shows. Maybe she'll have to wait for an Oscar but she is on her way there if she keeps making critical darlings like Hustlers 25 years into her movie career.  She started off real strong as an actress. Selena then Out of Sight. She was critically praised for that roll too. Then she decided to be one Hollywood's best paid actress. So she did the Rom/Com thing. 

And if you think JLo isn't highly sought after as an actress she was literally like #6 last year as the highest paid actress. And it not by that much. She was at $8.5M Gaga got $10M for Joker2 and Sandra 10M for Lost City Zendaya $10 Million for The Challengers, Millie Bobby Brown got $10 for Enola Holmes and the highest paid actress Margot Robbie got paid $12.5 Million for Barbie. 

By the way only Millie and JLo were paid more than their male co-stars. Brad Pitt got $30 million for The Lost City. 

In a JLo movie JLo is the bankable star. She has a billion dollar box office without one comic book movie, no sequels and no remakes.  

Where does Mariah rank in highest paid female musicians this year? Or Last year or the year before that? Or the the year before that? Is she still in the top ten like when she started? 

Edited by JustLikeHoney

It should be a crime to say such things.

6 minutes ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Nah, by that point Rockin Around the Christmas Tree will keep blocking her #1. :bibliahh:

But JLo will still be making movies, producing shows. Maybe she'll have to wait for an Oscar but she is on her way there if she keeps making critical darlings like Hustlers 25 years into her movie career.  She started off real strong as an actress. Selena then Out of Sight. She was critically praised for that roll too. Then she decided to be one Hollywood's best paid actress. So she did the Rom/Com thing. 

And if you think JLo isn't highly sought after as an actress she was literally like #6 last year as the highest paid actress. And it not by that much. She was at $8.5M Gaga got $10M for Joker2 and Sandra 10M for Lost City Zendaya $10 Million for The Challengers, Millie Bobby Brown got $10 for Enola Holmes and the highest paid actress Margot Robbie got paid $12.5 Million for Barbie. 

By the way only Millie and JLo were paid more than their male co-stars. Brad Pitt got $30 million for The Lost City. 

In a JLo movie JLo is the bankable star. She has a billion dollar box office without one comic book movie, no sequels and no remakes.  

Where does Mariah rank in highest paid female musicians this year? Or Last year or the year before that? Or the the year before that? Is she still in the top ten like when she started? 

The way her most successful box office movie is the 4TH Ice Age film.

The way she only has TWO movies that have made more than 200M at the global box office and both of them are animated.

Mariah doesnt have stage presente but J lo does clearly and this was confirmed with her Halftime show. 

however J lo is not as good as Mariah singing wise.

it would depend: are you looking for vocals or for a show?

JustLikeHoney
22 minutes ago, Rocket said:

The way her most successful box office movie is the 4TH Ice Age film.

The way she only has TWO movies that have made more than 200M at the global box office and both of them are animated.

Wow. She has over a $1 billion as a leading actor. Those were  supporting rolls. If it's added it would be a lot more than just a billion. 

Tell me you know nothing about Hollywood without telling me you know nothing about Hollywood. 

Edited by JustLikeHoney

1 minute ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Wow. She has over a $1 billion as a leading actor. That was a supporting roll. If it's added it would be a lot more than just a billion. 

Tell me you know nothing about Hollywood without telling me you know nothing about Hollywood. 

You sure do love recycling this line. Almost as much as J.Lo does her collabs with Pitbull.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.