K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

Ryan

16 minutes ago, Eternium said:

Big Bang’s global sales are less than 4M and TVXQ’s global sales are over 12M. Even if you exclude Japan, TVXQ’s sold over 4M in just Korea, which is more than Big Bang have sold globally.

BB is a singles act and you’re comparing pure albums. Even album equivalents would tip the scales and that’s why you’re probably too eager to pretend their sales are majority fake.

They were releasing in K-pop’s weakest market ever and still doubling Big Bang’s peak :skull: 

TVXQ didn’t have entire albums in the top 10 ever, not in any country. They had comparable Korean and Japanese attendance, outside of East Asia BB destroyed them in attendance.

Big Bang never had the popularity that TVXQ did. Big Bang were more of a Katy Perry with occasional GP hits

Literally every song GD touches is a hit, including the majority of b-sides for over a decade. No US artist is comparable and no hits since 2011 TVXQ definitely can’t. Occasional hits is not the correct wording here. Guaranteed mega-smashes every time he walks into a studio is.

TVXQ’s peak was enormous and the biggest we had seen at the time and I’m not trying to take anything away from that, but BB surpassed them and made kpop a global phenomenon just a few years later. Not even SNSD, the most beloved idol group, can compete. 

13 minutes ago, Eternium said:

However, one of the points Century used was that Big Bang was bigger because their estimated networth is higher.

You claimed BBs digitals were fraud and that even if they weren’t that their hits weren’t profitable. TVXQ has one famously wealthy ex-member. Bigbang has 3, it’s a fair comparison when you’re throwing out dollar numbers.

Repeatedly throwing out the profit argument invites money talk.

Edited by Century

• Replies 132.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Save-Me-Oprah

• Pluto6

• Witnessed ET

• illia

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, jeanie said:

the way baemon stans started attacking newjeans and they haven't debuted yet :deadbanana2:

The lies. Please

BABYMONSTER have been attacked unprovoked by NJ stans

like, why would they even attack NJ? That doesn’t even sound right. They have no reason to. I haven’t seen any BM stan come for NJ

BB peaked after digitals and before the bulk buy collectible albums. Using pure albums as the only base to compare their popularity is like comparing Taylor Swift’s cassette sales to Paula Abdul’s and concluding Paula was bigger as a whole. 

5 minutes ago, Century said:

Using pure albums as the only base to compare their popularity is like comparing Taylor Swift’s cassette sales to Paula Abdul’s and concluding Paula was bigger as a whole. 

Well isn’t she

WhoppingRealisticFrenchbulldog-size_rest

22 minutes ago, Xalric said:

I mean TVXQ as whole music wise is worth 30M$+ but Jaejoong is worth 100M$+.

BIGBANG music as a whole is worth 40M$+ but T.O.P and GD networth are around 60M+.

But then we can talk about group that made millions but have members whose networth is damn near poverty, looking at you Himchan from B.A.P.

All those numbers are likely fake.

Edited by Get

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Would y’all be interested if I did monthly giveaways for physical albums and stuff? I really wanna grow our KTRL community and would love ideas to help that. Including making invitation links y’all can send to friends. 

no more stinkies or people who talk in only italics

1dd211e699e1270a2b99789ed0e390f8.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mel. said:

Oh wow, this eats!

now I wanna hear a real cover by Rosie

I just know people will make I-DLE OT6 album, I cannot wait to redo BIGBANG whole discography without [Redacted]

8 minutes ago, Pluto2022 said:

Well isn’t she

The female Beatles I fear.

1 hour ago, Witnessed ET said:

Looking at Jungcock’s recent solo releases, I’m not very excited about that tbh, no matter who the producer is. :mandown:

that 2007'd song he did for the World Cup was so bad

it's concerning that he even had his name associated with that

britdance.gif

the biggest gag here is that Teddy actually wrote a song with lyrics in the chorus and no drop

britdance.gif

2 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

the biggest gag here is that Teddy actually wrote a song with lyrics in the chorus and no drop

britdance.gif

It's not a coincidence that Teddy's work that doesn't sound like musical terrorism is made with artists who are known and acclaimed for their active musical involvement. Any YG group debuted post 2015 doesn't have that. The problem was never Teddy it was "singers" who need to talk or chant their way through songs exclusively.

britdance.gif

1 minute ago, Century said:

It's not a coincidence that Teddy's work that doesn't sound like musical terrorism is made with artists who are known and acclaimed for their active musical involvement. Any YG group debuted post 2015 doesn't have that. The problem was never Teddy it was "singers" who need to talk or chant their way through songs exclusively.

britdance.gif

this spill, I'm quaking

britdance.gif

is BigBang still a thing? Isn't G-Dragon the only one left that still has a contract with YG?

britdance.gif

• ATRL Administrator
3 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

is BigBang still a thing? Isn't G-Dragon the only one left that still has a contract with YG?

britdance.gif

Yeah they’re still together. Just on a hiatus for the time while they work on other projects. 

8 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

britdance.gif

They claim its just a hiatus and that their obvious farewell song was a re-debut as OT4 but unlike SNSD I don't see them coming back together unless the solos start flopping(very unlikely since Taeyang and GD could get microphone static to chart for weeks on end). TOP sounds completely done with being in a group and BB would promote as GDYB before they ever went to OT3.

britdance.gif

Edited by Century

Also for the record @Eternium of the few shows boxscore reported on from BB in the US, you're correct that it wasn't technically sold out by like 150 tickets, but it WAS a higher boxscore than some dates from Taylor and Shania in the US at the same time. $1.7m in an single date at an arena is still an extremely respectable gross in 2023 after almost a decade of inflation.  This was in 2015 when not even peak EXO was profitable in US arenas. Pretending BB didn't crack the rest of the world open for the sake of SM company stanning won't make it come true.  :bunny:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151015153931/http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscore

Edited by Century

is kinda crazy that Taeyang was able to chart on the Hot 100 a few months ago but Jisoo's debut didn't do enough to chart at all even with all the hype

I didn't think the Hot 100 was THAT hard to get onto

britdance.gif

6 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

is kinda crazy that Taeyang was able to chart on the Hot 100 a few months ago but Jisoo's debut didn't do enough to chart at all even with all the hype

I didn't think the Hot 100 was THAT hard to get onto

britdance.gif

Big Bang was pulling higher grosses in the same arenas as BP in the US in 2015, before the kpop craze($3,397,699 in a single night at the Prudential Center). It's really just that the pinks are less popular than BB was at their peak, even in the US where the stinks clutched onto imaginary relevancy for years. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20170308184734/http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2015/2015YearEndTop200ConcertGrosses.pdf

Edited by Century

These ancient show grosses are actually very enlightening. I wonder what other global Big Bang stats go underreported because YG had no reason to media play them outside of Asia. :eek:

5 minutes ago, Century said:

Big Bang was pulling higher grosses in the same arenas as BP in the US in 2015, before the kpop craze. It's really just that the pinks are less popular than BB was at their peak, even in the US where the stinks clutched onto imaginary relevancy for years. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20170308184734/http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2015/2015YearEndTop200ConcertGrosses.pdf

its insane that they had per-show grosses that were on par with certain shows of the MDNA tore and the 1989 tore

good for them

britdance.gif

1 minute ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

its insane that they had per-show grosses that were on par with certain shows of the MDNA tore and the 1989 tore

good for them

britdance.gif

It wasn't just the US either, BB's peak in Japan was also outgrossing and had higher attendees than TVXQ who are allegedly bigger than Jesus Christ in Japan or whatever. 

britdance.gif

https://news.pollstar.com/2017/11/29/japan-k-pop-concert-draws-disneyland-performer-awarded-compensation/