2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

• Replies 20.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

With his 4 years as Governor, I think Ron Desantis is my most hated politician in the USโ€ฆ every day is another nasty update from himย 

4 hours ago, dabunique said:

ย 

he eliminated District 10 which Val Demmings is the congress representative

ย 

This is just so awful and really unfair to POC residents.ย 

1 minute ago, Blizzard said:

With his 4 years as Governor, I think Ron Desantis is my most hated politician in the USโ€ฆ every day is another nasty update from himย 

I feel like he would beat Trump to be the republican nominee in 2024.ย 

3 hours ago, Pie-kun said:

ย 

Just pure evil.ย 

Wow, just wow... This is really heartbreaking. My heart goes out to all the trans students in FL that will be affected by this.

1 hour ago, publikcitizen said:

I feel like he would beat Trump to be the republican nominee in 2024.ย 

I'm looking forward to see both of Trump and DeSantis destroy each other in the Republican Primary.

It makes me want to vomit that Bernie would just stand down if Biden decides to run. I don't even think Bernie has a chance in hell with his age - and with the experience of what happened to him the last two times - but who else is there? Who else is going to stand against this total clown show charade and be taken seriously enough to even make a dent? The death spiral that we're entering politically is just sickening.

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

It makes me want to vomit that Bernie would just stand down if Biden decides to run. I don't even think Bernie has a chance in hell with his age - and with the experience of what happened to him the last two times - but who else is there? Who else is going to stand against this total clown show charade and be taken seriously enough to even make a dent? The death spiral that we're entering politically is just sickening.

I honestly don't want Bernie to even talk about maybe running for president. In any capacity. The more he flirts with it (though only under the condition Biden doesn't run, which is weak asf), the more his base talk aboutย himย running when we should be talking about who is going to lead the fight for our policies moving forward. The progressive movement is buried 6 feet under if Bernie is the only person we're banking on. We need new talent, desperately.ย 

9 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I honestly don't want Bernie to even talk about maybe running for president. In any capacity. The more he flirts with it (though only under the condition Biden doesn't run, which is weak asf), the more his base talk aboutย himย running when we should be talking about who is going to lead the fight for our policies moving forward. The progressive movement is buried 6 feet under if Bernie is the only person we're banking on. We need new talent, desperately.ย 

I get that perspective - I agree for the most part. The only hesitation I have is probably just because I'm so clueless as to who else we should look to for 2024.ย :katie:ย It just kind of looks, at this point, like there won't really be a progressive candidate who makes a real and recognized bid for the Presidency this time, and we'll have to deal with Biden/Harris 2.0 or the nightmare scenario of Harris/Buttigieg. And I really don't see myself voting for either of those tickets in the general election.

ย 

Holding this all for a book deal is the new norm for so much MSM journalism now, isn't it. Total BS on that front.ย 

ย 

But back to the reporting - I wonder if this means Kevin loses speakership when the House Freedom Caucus revolts.ย 

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

I get that perspective - I agree for the most part. The only hesitation I have is probably just because I'm so clueless as to who else we should look to for 2024.ย :katie:ย It just kind of looks, at this point, like there won't really be a progressive candidate who makes a real and recognized bid for the Presidency this time, and we'll have to deal with Biden/Harris 2.0 or the nightmare scenario of Harris/Buttigieg. And I really don't see myself voting for either of those tickets in the general election.

I totally hear where you're coming from. But I think part of why Bernie ran in 2016 was that there was a campaign to draft Elizabeth Warren. Bernie saw that, encouraged her to run, and then decided to run himself when she decided not to. I think we need to maybe start with similar efforts to draft some progressive picks. Even if it's AOC, Katie Porter, someone (maybe even... *gulps* Ro Khanna). I don't think there's a person, at the moment, that makes me super excited. The progressives in congress have massively let me down (though Katie Porter is fairly consistent in impressing me when she questions executives). But, we need to start making it clear we're a vocal and underrepresented bloc. Relying on Bernie exclusively won't help us.ย 

10 minutes ago, Espresso said:

ย 

Holding this all for a book deal is the new norm for so much MSM journalism now, isn't it. Total BS on that front.ย 

ย 

But back to the reporting - I wonder if this means Kevin loses speakership when the House Freedom Caucus revolts.ย 

Not Liz Cheney recording this, McCarthy is looking like boo-boo the fool right now. Sad reality is that Republicans won't care.

10 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I totally hear where you're coming from. But I think part of why Bernie ran in 2016 was that there was a campaign to draft Elizabeth Warren. Bernie saw that, encouraged her to run, and then decided to run himself when she decided not to. I think we need to maybe start with similar efforts to draft some progressive picks. Even if it's AOC, Katie Porter, someone (maybe even... *gulps* Ro Khanna). I don't think there's a person, at the moment, that makes me super excited. The progressives in congress have massively let me down (though Katie Porter is fairly consistent in impressing me when she questions executives). But, we need to start making it clear we're a vocal and underrepresented bloc. Relying on Bernie exclusively won't help us.ย 

I'm not sure Katie Porter even has presidential ambitions, AOC of course though. I think Michelle Wu is also doing a great job and could be in the mix if she's up for it.

If AOC doesn't run in 2024, sheย absolutelyย needs to run in '28 :sorry:

ย 

People may drag their feet, but the truth is that nobody else in the progressive wing has the range. She's the face.

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Bethenny Frankel said:

I'm not sure Katie Porter even has presidential ambitions, AOC of course though. I think Michelle Wu is also doing a great job and could be in the mix if she's up for it.

I agree about Katie Porter. But I think that's part of the point of a draft. I think it's common for some of these politicians to not even consider it, so we need to at least make it clear there's demand for it.

ย 

Marriane Williamson would also be a great contender. :-*ย (Still low-key hate her for not running for anything else though.)

46 minutes ago, Espresso said:

ย 

ย 

Omg the way he was just outed AGAIN with another audio of himself saying exactly what he has been denying for 2 days he said ???

ย 

honestly the weakest looking and acting potential house majority leader Iโ€™ve seenย 

44 minutes ago, Sanctuary said:

If AOC doesn't run in 2024, sheย absolutelyย needs to run in '28 :sorry:

ย 

People may drag their feet, but the truth is that nobody else in the progressive wing has the range. She's the face.

AOC has even less chances than Bernard. She's started her career off the bat with moderates and conservative Dems hating her. With Bernie, honestly he was a dark horse because he came out of nowhere. Nobody expected him to front an actual campaign, so they didn't get to tar him.

ย 

The Democrats have since learned that they need to destroy anyone remotely to the left of Pelosi before they can get anywhere. There's a reason Fetterman is taking all the smears Conor Lamb and his Super PACs can throw at him and barely getting any pushback for it.

3 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

AOC has even less chances than Bernard. She's started her career off the bat with moderates and conservative Dems hating her. With Bernie, honestly he was a dark horse because he came out of nowhere. Nobody expected him to front an actual campaign, so they didn't get to tar him.

ย 

The Democrats have since learned that they need to destroy anyone remotely to the left of Pelosi before they can get anywhere. There's a reason Fetterman is taking all the smears Conor Lamb and his Super PACs can throw at him and barely getting any pushback for it.

You're not wrong. The conservative wing of the party will always go after the left. But also consider that the same thing happened within the GOP in 2016 when Trump was running in the primary. He had the ground support to rise above it, and now the party has been remade in his image. I think it would be a fool's errand to try and wait for a candidate that's not going to piss off the party bosses too much. AOC and Bernie are the two that have the proven support with leftists, and Bernie will simply be too old to be viable in any future cycles.

1 hour ago, Espresso said:

ย 

Wouldnโ€™t be surprised if we see more mass shooting in TN as a result of thisย 

Edited by publikcitizen

ย 

Macron's lead over Le Pen is increasing by a lot after effectively linking her as pro-Putin. This is a very god strategy for dems going into the midterms. Watch them continue linking republicans to Trump :rip:

ย 

30 minutes ago, Chemist said:

ย 

Macron's lead over Le Pen is increasing by a lot after effectively linking her as pro-Putin. This is a very god strategy for dems going into the midterms. Watch them continue linking republicans to Trump :rip:

ย 

That really doesnโ€™t land the same way here. All they care about here are gas prices and vibes. The โ€œPutin price hikeโ€ excuse has completely failed and absolutely nobody is convinced by it other than Jen Psaki who keeps parroting it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.