2024 US Election Megathread πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ›οΈ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.Β 
Β 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.Β 

• Replies 21k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Β 

Why are so many republicans running? Are they anticipating that Trump will drop out before the voting starts and his current campaign is just a distraction?Β 

1 minute ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Why are so many republicans running? Are they anticipating that Trump will drop out before the voting starts and his current campaign is just a distraction?Β 

That and several other reasons including Trump getting jailed and DeSantis dropping dead.

Β 

It's mostly to raise a national profile so they can run again later on. Tim Scott doesn't have national name ID.Β 

6 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Β 

He really just needs to rest some for A bit. He may be overworking himself too soonΒ 

Pod Save America's apparently ID'd black and Latino men without a college degree going to Republicans as Biden's biggest 2024 problem.Β 

Β 

Don't know where to start with that. Kamala Harris certainly isn't helping.Β 

Kamala appeals largely towards white people with college degrees (who are voting Dem anyway) and black women (who are even more in the tank for Democrats) - the exact opposition towards what they need to really be appealing to. And yet, because Bernie Sanders was the one who appealed to whites without college degrees and Latinos especially, they're doubling down and insisting that those groups are unwinnable and not part of their path to electoral success.

Β 

Democrats are doing everything they can to turn off voters and are rejecting the needs of the working class while Republicans are also doing the same thing towards black women and the college educated class. The problem is, the country leans more towards the right culturally, and with such things as the failure of the Hogwarts Legacy boycott blowing up entirely in the left's face after bullying liberal and progressive streamers on Twitch and looking completely insane in doing so, the Sarah Huckabee Sanders case of there being a cultural divide being between normal and crazy is somewhat vindicated.

Β 

Which is more compelling to the normie voter? "You should have the freedom to enjoy the wizard game or not if you want to" or "**** you for playing that TERF's wizard game and donating to trans charities you transphobic nazi, I hope you die a painful, horrific death"?

If we're going to unpack the cultural issues with that conversion to the right of those demos, I guess extrapolating from the HP games isn't entirely out of bounds given GamerGate's crossover with Breitbart and the alt-right, but it doesn't seem like a great comparison regarding men of color that are older millennials :rip:Β 

I think Republicans win by exhausting men of color with culture wars - especially LGBTQ issues - and making them feel like they're not represented by the Democratic Party. But I don't know if that makes men of color without college degrees vote for Republicans as much as it makes them stay home.

9 minutes ago, Espresso said:

If we're going to unpack the cultural issues with that conversion to the right of those demos, I guess extrapolating from the HP games isn't entirely out of bounds given GamerGate's crossover with Breitbart and the alt-right, but it doesn't seem like a great comparison regarding men of color that are older millennials :rip:Β 

Well, similar elements that were present in GamerGate are coming to play here. Cultural resentment and men feeling like they're being left behind. The situation is flipped though, since it's fringe elements of the left that are making the left as a whole look bad and ineffective and alienating (and whose failure will be used to punish trans people by justifying more anti-trans bills and such in the future), whereas GamerGate was an extremely effective recruitment tool that came during a fervor of anti-SJW sentiment that has since morphed into an anti-cancel culture movement of right wingers and moderate Democrats like that Matt Boxer guy that has fully embraced JK Rowling out of spite for the left.

1 minute ago, Thuggin said:

I think Republicans win by exhausting men of color with culture wars - especially LGBTQ issues - and making them feel like they're not represented by the Democratic Party. But I don't know if that makes men of color without college degrees vote for Republicans as much as it makes them stay home.

I would argue that it galvanizes right-leaning men of color that might have otherwise stayed home while liberal/left-leaning people of color tune out and stay home because they don't see anything worth voting for (eg. Hillary 2016). Don't think that party switching is involved, just a matter of "who turns out"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.