2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

• Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

Biden did really good tonight and shut down Marge from getting her moments.

Corpse did better than expected. :clap3:And he really needed to after the recent classified documents and balloon fiascoโ€™s.ย 

why did they pick her for the response speech ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

sheโ€™s so boring. And all she is doing is talking garbageย 

I gotta say, he did awesome in that speech and baited the GOP like no other into not making cuts to SS and Medicaid, when theyโ€™ve made multiple platitudes doing just thatย 

Sarahโ€™s speech highlights how Bidenโ€™s bipartisan approach is weak. The republicans areย always gonna go for the jugular and culture war and their base loves it. Where as if Biden would actually fight back heโ€™d keep his current base and motivate people on the left.ย 

5 minutes ago, Danny789 said:

Sarahโ€™s speech highlights how Bidenโ€™s bipartisan approach is weak. The republicans areย always gonna go for the jugular and culture war and their base loves it. Where as if Biden would actually fight back heโ€™d keep his current base and motivate people on the left.ย 

Eh, her speech is going to turn off independents. Biden talked about things people actually care about. Sarah went in on the culture wars:

ย 

ย 

ย 

"The choice is between normal or crazy." Girl, YOUR side is the craziest of them all.ย :bibliahh:

ย 

2 minutes ago, nadiamendell said:

Eh, her speech is going to turn off independents. Biden talked about things people actually care about. Sarah went in on the culture wars:

ย 

Biden gave too much credit to republicans in successes that they voted no on, I also hated when he said โ€œnot allโ€ republicans want to cut Medicare and social security cause they do. There were a few parts I thought he held strong but Iโ€™m gonna more Dark Brandon and call them out on their harmful policies.ย 

14 minutes ago, Danny789 said:

The Dems almost won the house because of stuff she repeated tonight.

it works for the base but turns off independents and the much needed suburb voters the gop are bleeding. ย 

Just now, GhostBox said:

The Dems almost won the house because of stuff she repeated tonight

...this shows the danger of not fundamentally understanding how election cycles work and the electoral composition of 2022 that titled it in Dems' favor with a lower ceiling of possible loss.

2 minutes ago, Communion said:

...this shows the danger of not fundamentally understanding how election cycles work and the electoral composition of 2022 that titled it in Dems' favor with a lower ceiling of possible loss.

What?
Literally the gop shouldโ€™ve won 20-30 seats ๐Ÿ’€

ย 

everything was against the Dems running. Itโ€™s just the gops message didnโ€™t persuade people to vote for them over the same candidates ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

1 minute ago, GhostBox said:

The Dems almost won the house because of stuff she repeated tonight.

it works for the base but turns off independents and the much needed suburb voters the gop are bleeding. ย 

Sure buts whatโ€™s wrongs with opening the wound more and calling out their harmful policies and fear mongering just as intensely as they lie. They should be getting no room to breathe.ย 

6 minutes ago, Danny789 said:

Sure buts whatโ€™s wrongs with opening the wound more and calling out their harmful policies and fear mongering just as intensely as they lie. They should be getting no room to breathe.ย 

Yea I agree with that to an extentย 

11 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

What?
Literally the gop shouldโ€™ve won 20-30 seats ๐Ÿ’€

Sis,ย  you literally claimed they were going to win 4-5 Senate seats and 70+ House seats originally, even when many of us pointed out that the map for 20222 gave Democrats the advantage.ย 

11 minutes ago, Danny789 said:

Yeah, I agree with that sentiment overall. But there is still that segment of American voters out there who largely care about โ€œboth sides working together to get things doneโ€ and (unfortunately) they have to be appealed to sometimes, even though our country feels like itโ€™s teetering on the edge and republicans donโ€™t deserve any credit or breathing room.ย 
ย 

More=calling out republicans for wanting to cut social security and Medicare and making them go on defense in front of the entire countryย 

ย 

Less=โ€œyay bipartisanship, republicans can be good tooโ€ would be awesome, especially because not a lot of republicans even signed on to those โ€œbipartisanโ€ bills in the first placeย 

6 minutes ago, Communion said:

Sis,ย  you literally claimed they were going to win 4-5 Senate seats and 70+ House seats originally, even when many of us pointed out that the map for 20222 gave Democrats the advantage.ย 

It is fair to say republicans should have done a lot better in the House and senate. Not some landslide victory level of better, but they lost 5 senate races in states they have to win in 2024, and they did underperform in the House too.ย 
ย 

Where they royally ****** up was at the state legislature level. They lost seats overall nationwide at the state level, and in a Dem presidential midterm year, that shouldnโ€™t happenย 

He did great! Talk about setting up your opponents and clocking them, and pretty much agreeing on the new budget on national tvย :rip:

ย 

ย 

This psychopath being racist as per usual and also saying democrats want to mutilate childrenย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

11 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

That NYT article has even more funnier excerpts to it

ย 

ย 

Neither of them were particularly liked in the primary, but because Jim Clyburn told his specific constituents that Joe Biden was the guy, they flocked to him. And guess what. He almost lost. 43k votes going the other way in three states would have been all it took.

ย 

And the strategy from here on will be to freeze out any non-establishment candidate.

ย 

ย 

are you fr

Edited by suburbannature

3 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

It is fair to say republicans should have done a lot better in the House and senate

Again, some are fundamentally misunderstanding because they're anchored to a romanticization of a Biden presidency. No one said anything you're repeating. A Republican underperformance is what happened *because* of both the large tilt the map had in favor of Dems and progressive policy items done before midterms.ย 

ย 

It is the blind leading the blind though for anyone to then extrapolate the GOP's performance in 2022 and suggest "let's just keep doing what we're doing" in regards to 2024 *because* the unique combination of states in 2022 can't just be recreated for 2024. The map and thus dynamics for 2024 is completely different than 2022.

ย 

I get most people just want reassurance everything 'is going to be fine' and don't actually look much further than that, but if anyone wants actually informative, meaningful conversation, that user's post ranges from triumphalism at best and misinformation at worst.ย 

ย 

The entire organizational reality for Dems since Obama's terms has been a poor performance saved by somehow dodging bullets (except for you know, 2016-2020), and scrapping by framed as massive wins. "Let's just keep what you're doing" cost Dems the House and sent the Senate to a coin toss *in a good year*.ย 

ย 

Any tension and inherent internal conflict that has existed since 2016 still is yet to be resolved.

Biden did a good job

Feisty and Focused

ย 

Republicans, will predictably, focus on their losing midterms message of 'culture wars'

ย 

Nobody loves alienation more than the GOP and that is why they will always lose in the end - "welcome, here's a seat at the table" is a strategy for growth. "Boogeyman of the month" is a strategy focused on bigotry and fear.

7 minutes ago, Communion said:

Again, some are fundamentally misunderstanding because they're anchored to a romanticization of a Biden presidency. No one said anything you're repeating. A Republican underperformance is what happened *because* of both the large tilt the map had in favor of Dems and progressive policy items done before midterms.ย 

ย 

It is the blind leading the blind though for anyone to then extrapolate the GOP's performance in 2022 and suggest "let's just keep doing what we're doing" in regards to 2024 *because* the unique combination of states in 2022 can't just be recreated for 2024. The map and thus dynamics for 2024 is completely different than 2022.

ย 

I get most people just want reassurance everything 'is going to be fine' and don't actually look much further than that, but if anyone wants actually informative, meaningful conversation, that user's post ranges from triumphalism at best and misinformation at worst.ย 

ย 

The entire organizational reality for Dems since Obama's terms has been a poor performance saved by somehow dodging bullets (except for you know, 2016-2020), and scrapping by framed as massive wins. "Let's just keep what you're doing" cost Dems the House and sent the Senate to a coin toss *in a good year*.ย 

ย 

Any tension and inherent internal conflict that has existed since 2016 still is yet to be resolved.

Where am I romanticizing Biden :rip:ย I canโ€™t even have a basic conversation with you without you attacking me, which I havenโ€™t done with you in a long time, especially over your obsessed fawning with a violent, racist regime that throws minorities into slave camps ย in another country, but thatโ€™s another talk for another dayโ€ฆ.

ย 

My point was simple: they still underperformed. I never said the map was there for a landslide victory, but it was an R+3 year and they won 9 house seats and lost a senate seatโ€ฆ.thatโ€™s not โ€œromanticizing anythingโ€ย 

11 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

Where am I romanticizing Biden

Why would you insert your own assumption that anyone is commenting about youย onto my posts directed at another user, especially when *you* originally quoted my posts first?ย :skull:ย The constant sinophobia from you is wild too, on top of the paranoid personal insults, but more importantly - did you think it came off as logical to fly into a rage of assumptions about my posts that you've chosen to interact with?ย 

ย 

Do you think you've achieved anything productive just now by not reading a post correctly?ย :skull:

Edited by Communion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.