2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

• Replies 21.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Espresso said:

@Thugginย :deadvision:

ย 

ย 

Sheโ€™s so horrible ๐Ÿ’€ honestly she will be the death of the dem party in NY if they donโ€™t get her out of there quickly or make her change her whole self ๐Ÿ˜‚

Do we think Whitmer would have a shot at the nom in 2028?

55 minutes ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

I think so.ย 

1 hour ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

At the nomination? Maybe. But if Kamala runs, I donโ€™t think she does. Not many serious people are going to waste their political capital on a vanity run when they know the path is going to be cleared for her by the DNC. :michael:
ย 

As for whether she wins the general, personally I think Dems are ****** for the foreseeable future after Biden, so probably not. Getting the working poor to enthusiastically vote for an insurance heiress is going to be a tough sell. :michael:

• ATRL Moderator
13 hours ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

No chance.

1 hour ago, khalyan said:

No chance.

Any particular reason why? Other than the assumption that Kamala gets anointed in 2028 ofc

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Any particular reason why? Other than the assumption that Kamala gets anointed in 2028 ofc

From what Iโ€™ve seen sheโ€™s pretty devoid of any charisma needed to stand out on a national stage and I feel like there will always be another candidate running that will attract voters more than herself unless she ended up in a primary with just 1-2 other candidates.ย 

15 minutes ago, khalyan said:

From what Iโ€™ve seen sheโ€™s pretty devoid of any charisma needed to stand out on a national stage and I feel like there will always be another candidate running that will attract voters more than herself unless she ended up in a primary with just 1-2 other candidates.ย 

Hillary had negative charisma, and she had the easiest path to the nomination of any candidate until Biden had an even easier time the next cycle against the exact same rival who was easily more charismatic than both of them combined. Democratic primary voters care more about glass ceilings and establishment loyalty than charisma.

ย 

Josh Shapiro also has zero charisma, and heโ€™s also being touted as a future presidential candidate because he beat back a Trumpian nightmare of an opponent. Same with Eric Adams, who was praised for destroying New York City progressives and his embrace of NYPD.

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Hillary had negative charisma, and she had the easiest path to the nomination of any candidate until Biden had an even easier time the next cycle against the exact same rival who was easily more charismatic than both of them combined. Democratic primary voters care more about glass ceilings and establishment loyalty than charisma.

ย 

Josh Shapiro also has zero charisma, and heโ€™s also being touted as a future presidential candidate because he beat back a Trumpian nightmare of an opponent. Same with Eric Adams, who was praised for destroying New York City progressives and his embrace of NYPD.

I donโ€™t think Hillary had negative charisma tbh. ย With all her faults she had been pretty exciting for the average voter for many reasons, glass ceilings including. ย I donโ€™t think Gretchen gets the same excitement.ย 
ย 

Itโ€™s just hard for me to imagine a situation where Gretchen seems like the best candidate in a primary unless it ends up a very small primary. ย There will almost always be someone more neolib than her and someone more progressive/left than her.ย 

23 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

ย 

Bernie was not liked because of his charisma, he was liked because of his ideas. He was promising the change Obama ran on but never fulfilled.ย 
ย 

Also, Eric Adams is a nobody. New York mayors never do well in a democratic presidential primary.ย 
ย 

33 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Bernie was not liked because of his charisma, he was liked because of his ideas. He was promising the change Obama ran on but never fulfilled.

Not the claim I was making, but ok.

ย 

34 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

ย 

Also, Eric Adams is a nobody. New York mayors never do well in a democratic presidential primary.ย 

Based on... one primary where there were only ever two viable candidates anyway and the other 20+ losers were background noise? De Blasio was a laughingstock and Bloomberg was a Never-Trump Republican.

ย 

Adams isn't popular in New York City right now, but that's irrelevant. Him being a black conservative cop can only do him wonders in a Democrat primary at a time where the biggest criticism Democrats face is that they're too soft on crime. He's honestly the only candidate I could even see beating Kamala in a primary for that reason.

ย 

59 minutes ago, khalyan said:

I donโ€™t think Hillary had negative charisma tbh.

I see this and can only be reminded of "Pokemon GO to the polls" and how she was dragged for carrying hot sauce in her purse as "copying Beyonce" when it was actually something she did. Not to mention Rachel Platten's "Fight Song" as her campaign theme.ย :dies:ย 

ย 

I feel like people remember Hillary the Candidate through the lens of Kate McKinnon's affably devious, cutthroat portrayal on SNL when, truly, she just fell flat and failed to compel enough voters in the right states to turn out for her. She wasn't charismatic, at all, and even the times where she was her genuine self, people took as her being calculated and pandering.

ย 

1 hour ago, khalyan said:

Itโ€™s just hard for me to imagine a situation where Gretchen seems like the best candidate in a primary unless it ends up a very small primary. ย There will almost always be someone more neolib than her and someone more progressive/left than her.ย 

I don't think you'll see too many scenarios where there are 20+ candidates vying for attention at any given time. If Biden had appeared to be any stronger than he did before South Carolina, most of those neolibs wouldn't have even bothered. All they really cared about was stopping Bernie. Doubt any of them actually thought they could beat Trump to begin with.

I hope Fetterman's okay.ย ย 

• ATRL Moderator
38 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Not the claim I was making, but ok.

ย 

Based on... one primary where there were only ever two viable candidates anyway and the other 20+ losers were background noise? De Blasio was a laughingstock and Bloomberg was a Never-Trump Republican.

ย 

Adams isn't popular in New York City right now, but that's irrelevant. Him being a black conservative cop can only do him wonders in a Democrat primary at a time where the biggest criticism Democrats face is that they're too soft on crime. He's honestly the only candidate I could even see beating Kamala in a primary for that reason.

ย 

I see this and can only be reminded of "Pokemon GO to the polls" and how she was dragged for carrying hot sauce in her purse as "copying Beyonce" when it was actually something she did. Not to mention Rachel Platten's "Fight Song" as her campaign theme.ย :dies:ย 

ย 

I feel like people remember Hillary the Candidate through the lens of Kate McKinnon's affably devious, cutthroat portrayal on SNL when, truly, she just fell flat and failed to compel enough voters in the right states to turn out for her. She wasn't charismatic, at all, and even the times where she was her genuine self, people took as her being calculated and pandering.

ย 

I don't think you'll see too many scenarios where there are 20+ candidates vying for attention at any given time. If Biden had appeared to be any stronger than he did before South Carolina, most of those neolibs wouldn't have even bothered. All they really cared about was stopping Bernie. Doubt any of them actually thought they could beat Trump to begin with.

I donโ€™t see there being 20+ candidates, but as long as there is someone to the left of her and someone to the center of her running sheโ€™ll likely be an ineffective candidate. ย Or at least with the current state of the Democratic party this is what Iโ€™d imagine happening. ย Just like how Warren (my preferred candidate) lost steam last cycle because progressives (myself included) ended up all gravitating towards Bernie because he had the best chance of winning against the centrists.ย 

11 minutes ago, khalyan said:

I donโ€™t see there being 20+ candidates, but as long as there is someone to the left of her and someone to the center of her running sheโ€™ll likely be an ineffective candidate. ย Or at least with the current state of the Democratic party this is what Iโ€™d imagine happening. ย Just like how Warren (my preferred candidate) lost steam last cycle because progressives (myself included) ended up all gravitating towards Bernie because he had the best chance of winning against the centrists.ย 

Depends. Most of the time, the moderate would also have to be a good fundraiser, and Whitmer would probably have a good chance of that. I agree it depends on who's in the field. If she's against Kamala, she's got a tough road ahead of her because the primary electorate truly adore her despite the general election audience despising her. :michael:ย 

ย 

That said, I think Whitmer runs for Senate in 2026 if Gary Peters retires, and she'll probably be there for a while. I think we ascribe presidential aspirations to people that haven't been shown to have them too often. Like... for example, we know Pete Buttigieg has made it obvious that running for president is really all he's interested in, and Kamala is certainly poised to make her losing bid as well. So they're safe bets to assume they'll be in the ring for 2028. Whitmer... has as good a chance as anyone else, but I don't believe she wants it. The kidnapping + assassination plot, while an FBI honeypot scheme, might be enough to give her pause on running for any office higher than Senate.

Crossposting from the Train Derailment thread, super important:

ย 

ย 

• ATRL Moderator
13 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Hillary had negative charisma,

Hillary, even with her cringe moments, was able to form complete and intelligently-worded sentences whereas Kamala is too timid to say anything with a modicum of substance. Her being unable to answer about whether she plans to go to the border comes to mind. Theyโ€™re not comparable. Kamalaโ€™s issue isnโ€™t a lack of charisma, itโ€™s a lack of the ability to be taken remotely serious.ย 

What is with the Eric Adams hype here?

ย 

He has the personality of a lacquered armoire, is abysmal at speeches, doesnโ€™t have remotely enough domestic or foreign policy experience, and his list of cabinet scandals is so long both NYC tabloids ran out of ink to cover all of them so smaller sites like Gothamist had to pick up the slack :skull:ย They just didnโ€™t all get covered nationally because everyoneโ€™s been distracted by Hochulโ€™s implosion and the DeSantis culture wars :coffee2:ย 

ย 

The fact that heโ€™s black wonโ€™t save him from attacks from his left, regardless of whether it comes from a candidate, a Super PAC or social media.

23 minutes ago, Espresso said:

What is with the Eric Adams hype here?

ย 

He has the personality of a lacquered armoire, is abysmal at speeches, doesnโ€™t have remotely enough domestic or foreign policy experience, and his list of cabinet scandals is so long both NYC tabloids ran out of ink to cover all of them so smaller sites like Gothamist had to pick up the slack :skull:ย They just didnโ€™t all get covered nationally because everyoneโ€™s been distracted by Hochulโ€™s implosion and the DeSantis culture wars :coffee2:ย 

ย 

The fact that heโ€™s black wonโ€™t save him from attacks from his left, regardless of whether it comes from a candidate, a Super PAC or social media.

Attacks from the left have never mattered in a Democratic primary. In fact, they harden resolve towards moderate candidates because Democratic primary voters tend to flock towards whoever pisses off the left the most. :michael:

ย 

Hillary literally called black men โ€œsuper predatorsโ€ and turned Libya into a slave market. She had her fair share of scandals, and her foreign policy experience was blundering + made the world a worse place to live in.

ย 

Dont get me wrong, Eric Adams is an abysmal person and would absolutely be a trash candidate, but the things that make him bad are what elevate you in a Democratic Party primary. His utter scorn for the left, his embrace of police brutality, and so on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.