All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

56. Cynthia Weil

Cynthia-Weil-by-Jim-McHugh-815x1024.jpg

Cynthia Weil was one of the most important Brill Building songwriters of the 1960s. She wrote most of her hits with her husband Barry Mann, who focused on composing the music while she wrote the lyrics. However, her first Hot 100 hit (#82) was actually written with Carole King and Gerry Goffin, "Happy Times" by Tony Orlando in 1961. Although she had her steadiest success in the early to mid 60s, she continued to get significant hits with original songs well beyond that period. Not including covers of early works of hers, she had two top 10s in the 1970s, seven top 10s in the 1980s, and a #9 hit "I Will Come To You" by Hanson in 1997. Cynthia and Barry were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2010 and were awarded the John Mercer award in 2011, which is the highest accolade given out by the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

87m - Through The Wire (Kanye West)

52m - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (The Righteous Brothers)

35m - Here You Come Again (Dolly Parton)

24m - Through The Fire (Chaka Khan)

22m - If Ever You're In My Arms Again (Peabo Bryson)

Table of Points

JDIn28j.jpg
h9bmcXW.jpg
Qc7wNXQ.jpg
aqWwOyk.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

@Letemtalk yup

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

10 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Narada Michael Walden

920x920.jpg

126m - How Will I Know (Whitney Houston)

30m - I Love Your Smile (Shanice)

17m - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off (Jermaine Stewart)

14m - Clothes Off!!! (Gym Class Heroes)

9m - Freeway of Love (Aretha Franklin)

Table of Points

tWuLbNQ.jpg

@trainsskyscrapers 

Does he not get credit for Heartbreaker?

3 minutes ago, 1DES said:

Does he not get credit for Heartbreaker?

Actually, yeah he should. The database I was using had "Michael Walden" as the songwriter on it so it didn't come up when I searched "Narada Michael Walden". That bumps up his points by 366 to 9017. Gimme a minute to edit the post.

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

56. Cynthia Weil

She wrote so many songs.

One of my favourites is George Benson's version of 'On Broadway'. Love this performance where he played at a club on a borrowed guitar quite different to the semi-hollow bodied guitar that he usually plays.

Honorable Mention - Christopher "Tricky" Stewart

6a00d8341c630a53ef015433787a73970c-600wi

278m - Single Ladies (Beyoncé)

214m - Baby (Justin Bieber feat. Ludacris)

129m - Novocane (Frank Ocean)

90m - One Time (Justin Bieber)

86m - Obsessed (Mariah Carey)

Table of Points

1qOrD8h.jpg
tj2sP0B.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

On 1/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Nile Rodgers

Nile-Rodgers-2018-bonnaroo-billboard-154

661m - Get Lucky (Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers)

205m - Mo Money, Mo Problems (The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy & Mase)

157m - Gettin' Jiggy Wit It (Will Smith)

123m - Hotel Room Service (Pitbull)

99m - I'm Coming Out (Diana Ross)

Table of Points

JVEyXqG.jpg
xzToyzH.jpg

er um where are the Madonna songs he did for Like A Virgin

On 1/6/2020 at 11:30 AM, Ash12345 said:

Narada Michael Walden

920x920.jpg

126m - How Will I Know (Whitney Houston)

30m - I Love Your Smile (Shanice)

17m - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off (Jermaine Stewart)

14m - Clothes Off!!! (Gym Class Heroes)

9m - Freeway of Love (Aretha Franklin)

Table of Points

VtK4Bes.jpg

@trainsskyscrapers 

since he wrote I Love Your Smile, does he not get credit for Chris Brown's Undecided?

1 hour ago, dabunique said:

er um where are the Madonna songs he did for Like A Virgin

since he wrote I Love Your Smile, does he not get credit for Chris Brown's Undecided?

Looks like Nile Rodgers was only a producer on Like A Virgin. I missed Undecided though so I'll add it in.

3 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Looks like Nile Rodgers was only a producer on Like A Virgin. I missed Undecided though so I'll add it in.

My bad and once again thank u for all ur hard work. 

hopefully Madonna is on da list 

55. John "Cougar" Mellencamp

AP_18224727469115.jpg

John Mellencamp, one of America's most successful heartland rockers, started playing in bands in high school and continued in college. He got a record deal in 1975 and his manager made him change his name to Johnny Cougar. The two albums that followed failed to achieve major commercial success and he got dropped by the label, but he was able to get a new record deal with a smaller label. He got his first hit with "I Need A Love" (#28) in 1979. He wasn't particularly proud of his follow up albums, but was able to get enough success from the singles to convince his label to let him add "Mellencamp" back to his stage name. This is when him and his band started developing their signature sound, inspired by 1960s classic rock and folk music, leading to steady success on mainstream rock radio in the mid to early 90s. 

120m - Jack & Diane (John Mellencamp)

67m - Hurts So Good (John Mellencamp)

38m - Small Town (John Mellencamp)

31m - Pink Houses (John Mellencamp)

17m - Cherry Bomb (John Mellencamp)

Table of Points

jT9ocON.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz

Edited by Ash12345

:jamming: Jack And Diane is my favourite song from him and I love how Jessica Simpson repurposed it. 

If Columbia Records played their cards right, she might've been able to...:

1) secure the future Kelly Clarkson Hot AC Radio lane 5 years before Idol existed

2) even out her sexually-charged second album with Hot AC/AC radio fodder because she could actually sing....

but here we are.

Kelly Clarkson

image.jpg

296m - Because of You (Kelly Clarkson)

148m - Underneath The Tree (Kelly Clarkson)

90m - Piece By Piece (Kelly Clarkson)

50m - Behind These Hazel Eyes (Kelly Clarkson)

39m - Catch My Breath (Kelly Clarkson)

Table of Points

9qhw7Ol.jpg

@Legend E

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Kelly Clarkson

image.jpg

296m - Because of You (Kelly Clarkson)

148m - Underneath The Tree (Kelly Clarkson)

90m - Piece By Piece (Kelly Clarkson)

50m - Behind These Hazel Eyes (Kelly Clarkson)

39m - Catch My Breath (Kelly Clarkson)

Table of Points

9qhw7Ol.jpg

@Legend E

Honorable Mention - Will Jennings

gettyimages-144650089.jpg?itok=jKoirIqJ

355m - Higher Love (Kygo, Whitney Houston)

220m - My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion)

205m - Tears In Heaven (Eric Clapton)

92m - Up Where We Belong (Joe Cocker)

41m - Valerie (Steve Winwood)

Table of Points

vzjbjye.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

54. Jeff Lynne

lynne.jpg?w=980&q=75

Jeff Lynne is the guitarist and one of the founding members of Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). After playing in various bands as a teenager and young adult, he founded ELO in 1970 with Roy Wood, who had a vision to create a Beatles influenced band that incorporated cellos, woodwinds and horns. They released their first single "10538 Overture", which reached #9 in the UK in 1972. Roy Wood quite soon after, and Jeff Lynne took over the majority of the songwriting and production work for the band, which started crossing over into the US with singles from their 1973 album "On The Third Day". ELO had a steady string of hits during the rest of the 70s and early 80s, which included some songs that continued their early sound but also others that added distinctive vocal harmonies with band member Kelly Groucutt, and modern sounds with synthesizers, Mellotrons and the influence of disco music.

After the band's commercial success slowed down, ELO was disbanded in 1986, and Jeff Lynne founded the supergroup "Travelling Wilburys" with Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and George Harrison, released a couple solo albums, and co-wrote and co-produced with various artists, including Orbison, Petty and Harrison's solo careers, resulting in some of their biggest hits between 1987 and 1991. He got additional hits later on with covers and with a sample of "Evil Woman" on Pussycat Dolls' "Beep" and got a songwriting credit on "Stay With Me" after Tom Petty's publisher noticed a similar to "I Won't Back Down".

1062m - Stay With Me (Sam Smith)

564m - Free Fallin' (John Mayer)

342m - Mr. Blue Sky (Electric Light Orchestra)

110m - I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty)

105m - Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty & The Heartbreaker)

Table of Points

FItjBgH.jpg
Zr2c781.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

Last Train To London :worship2:

did you know Attomic Kitten samples it on their song Be With You?

2 minutes ago, Alexz said:

Last Train To London :worship2:

did you know Attomic Kitten samples it on their song Be With You?

I don't know Atomic Kitten but now that I'm listening to Be With You it's a pretty noticeable sample. Last Train To London is one of my favorite ELO songs but they have a lot of great songs.

Just now, Ash12345 said:

I don't know Atomic Kitten but now that I'm listening to Be With You it's a pretty noticeable sample. Last Train To London is one of my favorite ELO songs but they have a lot of great songs.

For a period of time I thought it was a cover, it’s only recently I figured out it’s just a sample. 

thank you for your post tonight.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:38 PM, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Christopher "Tricky" Stewart

6a00d8341c630a53ef015433787a73970c-600wi

278m - Single Ladies (Beyoncé)

214m - Baby (Justin Bieber feat. Ludacris)

129m - Novocane (Frank Ocean)

90m - One Time (Justin Bieber)

86m - Obsessed (Mariah Carey)

Table of Points

y6JfiwH.jpg
Az9xMia.jpg

You missed Touch My Body.

I didn't know he co- wrote Girlfight. 

How the hell Mariah is this low?

She wrote most of her hits and she's one of the most successful artists on Hot 100.

9 hours ago, pieuxvu said:

How the hell Mariah is this low?

She wrote most of her hits and she's one of the most successful artists on Hot 100.

About half of the songwriters ahead of her wrote primarily for other artists, so they won't show up on the most successful Hot 100 artists lists. A few others were more successful on the Hot 100 artists of all time list than you might initially realize when you consider that their career was split between being a member of a group and a solo career, as well as songwriters who wrote mostly for their solo career but still had a lot of extra songs written or covered by other artists.

There's also a few relatively big hits she didn't write, and a lack of solo written hits. A songwriter can have a third of Mariah's hits and still rank ahead of her if they were all solo written according to the methodology I used.

Billboard's methodology tends to emphasize big high peaking hits more than my methodology too, which gives more weight to smaller hits or hits that peaked low but still charted very long. Mariah mostly has big high peaking hits so Billboard's methodology favors her more than mine. The main difference is that they weigh a week at #10 about 125% higher than a week at #11, while I weigh a week at #10 only 11% higher, so songs that spend a significant time in the top 10 will get weighted much higher by Billboard than lower peaking hits that artists like OneRepublic, Drake and Taylor Swift had (even though imo my methodology more closely reflects actual consumption and resulting Billboard YE positions).

16 hours ago, 1DES said:

You missed Touch My Body.

I didn't know he co- wrote Girlfight. 

Fixed.

Honorable Mention - Gloria Estefan

Gloria-Estefan-1988-performance-akl-bill

174m - Whenever, Wherever (Shakira)

11m - Rhythm is Gonna Get You (Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine)

10m - Angel (John Secada)

9m - Anything For You (Miami Sound Machine)

9m - Don't Wanna Lose You (Gloria Estefan)

Table of Points

lcuyjU4.jpg

52. Stargate - tie - Tor Erik Hermansen & Mikkel Storleer Eriksen

SG_01_NEW-kLtmqrnDY6FmOBRVBOQ6hdcB2uMdSW

Hailing from Trondheim, Norway, production and songwriting duo Stargate, made up of Mikkel Eriksen (left) and Tor Hermansen (right) have been a major influence on the sound of pop music for the past fifteen years. When they met, Hermansen was a talent scout for Warner, and Eriksen was a studio owner, and they started producing together in the late 90s, first for local artists, then for British pop acts such as S Club 7, Hear'Say and Atomic Kitten. Growing up, they listened to pop acts popular in Europe such as Michael Jackson and ABBA, but also hip-hop and R&B, and were able to combine these influences to make a kind of urban-pop that was more accessible to Europeans who up until then hadn't been listening to pure hip-hop on a large scale.

Their first major Hot 100 hit came in 2005, when they teamed up with Ne-Yo to make "So Sick", which lead to many more hits in collaboration with Ne-Yo, for both his solo career and for other artists such as Beyonce and Rihanna. Their song-making process usually involves creating an instrumental track, and come up with some melodies as a starting point, before bringing on songwriters such as Espen Lind, Ester Dean, Ne-Yo, Charli XCX and Sia to help with vocal melodies and lyrics.

1100m - Hymn For The Weekend (Coldplay)

1005m - Too Good At Goodbyes (Sam Smith)

757m - Issues (Julia Michaels)

628m - Better (Khalid)

584m - Dancing With A Stranger (Sam Smith feat. Normani)

582m - Adventure of a Lifetime (Coldplay)

538m - Diamonds (Rihanna)

528m - Worth It (Fifth Harmony)

403m - Same Old Love (Selena Gomez)

387m - Firework (Katy Perry)

Table of Points

AQMeNVw.jpg
WjCh9Pk.jpg
zaeWxPB.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

On 1/8/2020 at 8:20 PM, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Will Jennings

gettyimages-144650089.jpg?itok=jKoirIqJ

220m - My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion)

205m - Tears In Heaven (Eric Clapton)

97m - Higher Love (Steve Winwood)

92m - Up Where We Belong (Joe Cocker)

41m - Valerie (Steve Winwood)

Table of Points

V7j5CcH.jpg

Not sure if they’ll make much difference to his overall points but the Kygo & Whitney version of Higher Love also charted (briefly) on the Hot 100

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.