• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

Great work! The final list will be interesting :duca:

On 12/19/2019 at 7:16 PM, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Janet Jackson

janet-jackson-gettyimages-1150040655.jpg

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

216m - Poetic Justice (Kendrick Lamar feat. Drake)

57m - That's The Way Love Goes (Janet Jackson)

51m - Together Again (Janet Jackson)

37m - Solo (Iyaz)

34m - Scream (Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson)

A bit surprising to see Got 'Til It's Gone as her 3rd most streamed song as a performer when it wasn't one of her many Hot 100 chart hits.

Table of Points

oGOOAJM.jpg

I'm quite surprised to see Gaga ahead of Janet.

Two things I don't understand: Why are some of her singles missing from the list? I Want You, Call On Me, No Sleeep, Made For Now and Feel It Boy for instance.

Why does she get 0 points for the Control singles (Control, Nasty, What Have You Done For Me Lately, When I Think Of You) when she is credited as a songwriter for all of them besides The Pleasure Principle?

Edited by Stankonia

2 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

Great work! The final list will be interesting :duca:

I'm quite surprised to see Gaga ahead of Janet.

Two things I don't understand: Why are some of her singles missing from the list? Miss You Much, Love Will Never Do (Without You), I Want You, Call On Me, No Sleeep, Made For Now and Feel It Boy for instance.

Why does she get 0 points for the Control singles (Control, Nasty, What Have You Done For Me Lately, When I Think Of You) when she is credited as a songwriter for all of them besides The Pleasure Principle?

She's not credited on any of those Control singles on ASCAP's website, nor on BMI, nor on Spotify. What's your source for her getting credit?

She is actually credit on Made For Now and No Sleeeep, so my bad on those, but she doesn't have credit on Call On Me, I Want You, Love Will Never Do (Without You) or Miss You Much. Made For Now would be 11% of 13 points = 1 point and No Sleep would be 33% of 72 points = 24 points. So it doesn't make much of a different in the grand scheme of things but I'll put it first on my list to update when I have more time to get back to this thread.

14 hours ago, deGonzz said:

Also Ester Dean, Sia, perhaps Linda Perry

How could I forget Kandi Burruss too!! The way people's been interpolating her past hits. The streaming points from "Shape Of You" and "break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored ..." alone  :jonny6:

7 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

She's not credited on any of those Control singles on ASCAP's website, nor on BMI, nor on Spotify. What's your source for her getting credit?

She is actually credit on Made For Now and No Sleeeep, so my bad on those, but she doesn't have credit on Call On Me, I Want You, Love Will Never Do (Without You) or Miss You Much. Made For Now would be 11% of 13 points = 1 point and No Sleep would be 33% of 72 points = 24 points. So it doesn't make much of a different in the grand scheme of things but I'll put it first on my list to update when I have more time to get back to this thread.

I edited out Miss You Much and LWNDWY, you're right she isn't credited as a songwriter on those.

It's really weird that the Control singles don't have her as a songwriter on those sites as it is known that she co-wrote the entire Control album minus The Pleasure Principle. I just had a look at the Control booklet and she is credited as a songwriter and for co-producing, Rhythm & Vocal Arrangements, Keyboards and synthesizers on all those songs.

Discogs lists her as a songrwiter as do a lot of other sites :katie:

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-Control/release/5008248

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-Nasty/release/1013722

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately/release/145771

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-When-I-Think-Of-You/release/437870

I looked at the booklets for 20 Y.O and Damita Jo and you're right, she doesn't have songwriting credits for Call On Me and I Want You. Not that it would make much of a difference :smiley:

19 hours ago, Stankonia said:

I edited out Miss You Much and LWNDWY, you're right she isn't credited as a songwriter on those.

It's really weird that the Control singles don't have her as a songwriter on those sites as it is known that she co-wrote the entire Control album minus The Pleasure Principle. I just had a look at the Control booklet and she is credited as a songwriter and for co-producing, Rhythm & Vocal Arrangements, Keyboards and synthesizers on all those songs.

Discogs lists her as a songrwiter as do a lot of other sites :katie:

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-Control/release/5008248

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-Nasty/release/1013722

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately/release/145771

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Janet-Jackson-When-I-Think-Of-You/release/437870

I looked at the booklets for 20 Y.O and Damita Jo and you're right, she doesn't have songwriting credits for Call On Me and I Want You. Not that it would make much of a difference :smiley:

It looks like she doesn't have credit on her first two albums so Control is the first album where she does according to some sources. Maybe it was one of those situations that we also have today where the singer has some minor involvement, maybe providing some oversight or a little input here and there, helping come up with the general concept for the song, or being present in the studio as the song was being written, which today might get certain pop girls a co-writer credit and a 5% royalty on the songwriting. But maybe back then they only gave credit to the major contributors when it came to the official credits/songwriting ownership shares used to distribute songwriter royalties, and they tolerated having minor contributors print their names in the credits in liner notes, which I think is the source discogs.com uses?

The writing credits on Universal Music Publishing's website also don't give Janet writing credits on the Control songs btw.

Edited by Ash12345

Honorable Mention - Sean Garrett

501055-sean_garrett_617.jpg

427m - Yeah! (Usher feat. Lil Jon & Ludacris)

137m - Buttons (The Pussycat Dolls)

101m - Run It! (Chris Brown feat. Juelz Santana)

89m Diva (Beyonce)

82m Soldier (Destiny's Child feat. T.I. & Lil' Wayne)

Table of Points

4yntukV.jpg

akqKVGV.jpg

@deGonzz

The next reveal actually ranks in at #76. I initially had him higher but after double checking his stats I realized I included some of his Top 100 hits in his total.

59 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Sean Garrett

427m - Yeah! (Usher feat. Lil Jon & Ludacris)

137m - Buttons (The Pussycat Dolls)

101m - Run It! (Chris Brown feat. Juelz Santana)

89m Diva (Beyonce)

82m Soldier (Destiny's Child feat. T.I. & Lil' Wayne)

Table of Points

4yntukV.jpg

akqKVGV.jpg

@deGonzz

Woah he barely made it!!! Thank you @Ash12345 for the special shoutout here! :gaycat4:

He really was an urban hit machine during that Pop R&B crossover era. 6 #1 songs from that list in only 2 years was a pretty fantastic run. Unfortunately, wanting to be behind the mic more and becoming his own act was his downfall (as well as the EDM pop sound that would take over in the late 00s).

He really defined an era. 

Seems like he's trying to come back though. For anybody interested, check out his work on Raja Kumari's latest EP "BLOODLINE". He's still got it!

76. Chuck Berry

gettyimages-74254317-1-_custom-aef94890d

Nicknamed "Father of Rock and Roll", Chuck Berry took the blues music that he grew up with and modified it into a new style of music that became known as "Rock and Roll". In addition to Rock and Roll's sound, he also helped pioneer its image, and wrote lyrics that would resonate with teenage audiences. His most popular song, "Johnny B Goode" was placed on the Voyager Golden Record, along with mostly traditional folk and classical music records, as one of a select few songs chosen to represent humanity in case the Voyager spaceships (which have now reached outer space) are found by extra-terrestrial life.

His first major hit was "Maybellene", which reached #5 on the Top 100 charts in 1955, and many of his most influential hits charted in those pre-Hot 100 days. He continued to have hits in the 1960s, and his last major hit was 1972's #1 hit "My Ding-A-Ling". Although he mostly wrote for his solo career, his songs have been covered and sampled by many highly popular artists such as The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley and Jimi Hendrix.

102m - Surfin' USA (The Beach Boys)

87m - You Can Never Tell (Chuck Berry)

45m - Johnny B Goode (Peter Tosh)*

44m - No Particular Place To Go (Chuck Berry)

15m - Roll Over Beethoven (The Beatles)*

*these only include the Hot 100 era covers, and don't include the more heavily streamed originals by Chuck Berry from the pre-Hot 100 days.

Table of Points

hAl1U9x.jpg

pQOs38S.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles

Edited by Ash12345

46 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

hAl1U9x.jpg

What does "Top 100" in the column Share of Points mean? Did you not add these points?

Edited by skyandground

On 12/20/2019 at 5:16 AM, Ash12345 said:

Honorable Mention - Janet Jackson

janet-jackson-gettyimages-1150040655.jpg

216m - Poetic Justice (Kendrick Lamar feat. Drake)

57m - That's The Way Love Goes (Janet Jackson)

51m - Together Again (Janet Jackson)

37m - Solo (Iyaz)

34m - Scream (Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson)

A bit surprising to see Got 'Til It's Gone as her 3rd most streamed song as a performer when it wasn't one of her many Hot 100 chart hits.

Her 3rd most streamed song is actually All For You when you combine the album version (32 million rounded up) with the single/video version (11 million) which is 43 million. This is the case with quite a few of her singles on Spotify where they have multiple different edits/versions from various compilations and single EPS. Together Again has a single version found on the Best Of Number Ones compilation and Together Again single EP (4.5 million) which added to the album version equals to 55 million rounded up.

Got 'Til It's Gone also has 38 million streams combined currently, album version is 36 million + single edit on Got 'Til It's Gone single EP (2 million). It's not part of her Hot 100 hits because it wasn't commercially released in the US back then and due to the rules at the time, it wasn't eligible to chart on it.

Feel It Boy I think she had writing credits for it but asked to be removed because she expressed regret on working with Beenie Man after finding out he had made homophobic songs.

Edited by Moth 2 The Flame

7 hours ago, Lazuli said:

Sean Garrett wow that’s a name I haven’t heard for YEARS

Same, it’s one you would always see in CD leaflets 

10 hours ago, skyandground said:

What does "Top 100" in the column Share of Points mean? Did you not add these points?

The Top 100 is a chart that existed for a few years before the first Hot 100 chart, so it doesn't count, but I thought it could still be interesting to show them because they were some of his most important songs.

72. David Foster

foster_d_award_770_436_70_s.jpg

Singer-songwriter and producer David Foster is the 2nd highest ranking Canadian on the list. As a teenager in the 1960s, he worked with musicians such as Tommy Banks, Chuck Berry and Ronnie Rawkins. In the 1970s, he worked as a session keyboardist for several superstar artists, formed bands such as Skylark and Airplay and finished the decade by working on Earth, Wind & Fire's album "I Am", which included co-writing #2 hit "After The Love Has Gone". His most successful decades were the 80s and 90s, when he wrote many popular power ballads and helped shape the sound of AC radio. He also produced some huge hits he didn't write such as Celine Dion's "Because You Loved Me" and "The Power of Love", Toni Braxton's "Un-Break My Heart" and Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You".

144m - I Have Nothing (Whitney Houston)

118m - Hard To Say I'm Sorry (Chicago)

111m - You're The Inspiration (Chicago)

86m - Through The Wire (Kanye West)

83m - Glory of Love (Peter Cetera)

Table of Points

cHPBH17.jpg

wKU4Veg.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles

Edited by Ash12345

On 12/22/2019 at 2:30 PM, Ash12345 said:

76. Chuck Berry

gettyimages-74254317-1-_custom-aef94890d

Nicknamed "Father of Rock and Roll", Chuck Berry took the blues music that he grew up with and modified it into a new style of music that became known as "Rock and Roll". In addition to Rock and Roll's sound, he also helped pioneer its image, and wrote lyrics that would resonate with teenage audiences. His most popular song, "Johnny B Goode" was placed on the Voyager Golden Record, along with mostly traditional folk and classical music records, as one of a select few songs chosen to represent humanity in case the Voyager spaceships (which have now reached outer space) are found by extra-terrestrial life.

His first major hit was "Maybellene", which reached #5 on the Top 100 charts in 1955, and many of his most influential hits charted in those pre-Hot 100 days. He continued to have hits in the 1960s, and his last major hit was 1972's #1 hit "My Ding-A-Ling". Although he mostly wrote for his solo career, his songs have been covered and sampled by many highly popular artists such as The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley and Jimi Hendrix.

102m - Surfin' USA (The Beach Boys)

87m - You Can Never Tell (Chuck Berry)

45m - Johnny B Goode (Peter Tosh)*

44m - No Particular Place To Go (Chuck Berry)

15m - Roll Over Beethoven (The Beatles)*

*these only include the Hot 100 era covers, and don't include the more heavily streamed originals by Chuck Berry from the pre-Hot 100 days.

Table of Points

hAl1U9x.jpg

pQOs38S.jpg

:jonny5:

71. Jeff Barry

Screen-Shot-2015-12-03-at-12.40.35-PM.pn

In the late 1950s, Jeff Barry got a record deal with RCA and left engineering school to purse his dream of being a singer. He ended up having more success with songwriting though, as his first hit was "Teenage Sonata" (#50) released by Sam Cooke in 1960. He met singer-songwriter Ellie Greenwich soon after, and the pair, together with Phil Spector wrote a large number of Girl Group hits in the 1960s. In 1966, Jeff and Ellie discovered Neil Diamond and helped him get a record deal, and can be heard singing background vocals on some of his early songs. When Jeff Barry's songwriting partnership with Ellie Greenwich ended soon after their 1965 divorce, he found other songwriters to collaborate with such as singer Andy Kim. In the late 60s and 70s, he wrote and produced a lot of the music for The Archie Show, for the solo careers of the singers that sang on the show, "I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John and produced smash hit "I'm A Believer" for the Monkees.

128m - Be My Baby (The Ronettes)

127m - Sugar, Sugar (The Archies)

79m - Take Me Home Tonight (Eddie Money)

46m* - River Deep, Mountain High (Ike & Tina Turner)

41m - Then He Kissed Me (The Crystals)

*doesn't include Celine Dion's cover since it didn't chart

Table of Points

nF1KJDr.jpg

kC5GlLu.jpg

IS2KrBG.jpg

hV0duio.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

So many girl group bangers and Sugar Sugar :clap3:

Honorable Mention - Terius Nash (The-Dream)

08maer_500.jpg

427m - Umbrella (Rihanna feat. Jay-Z)

394m - XO (John Mayer)

326m - Run The World (Beyoncé)

322m - Love On Top (Beyoncé)

291m - Single Ladies (Beyoncé)

Table of Points

U0BMcG9.jpg

1jZwpqT.jpg

@deGonzz @trainsskyscrapers

Edited by Ash12345

11 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

08maer_500.jpg

394m - XO (John Mayer)

Table of Points

18V8oPH.jpg

1jZwpqT.jpg

Wow.

Surprised he didn't make the actual list, but I love how loyal him and Beyonce have been to each other. From IASF ---> Everything Is Love. 

Thanks for this thread @Ash12345  Just collecting all the numbers and compiling the list would have been impressive enough, but the background stories on people like John Fogerty and how Chuck Berry's "Johnny B Goode" was placed on the Voyager Golden Record really makes this essential reading.

Edited by Letemtalk

On 12/23/2019 at 8:42 PM, Ash12345 said:

72. David Foster

144m - I Have Nothing (Whitney Houston)

118m - Hard To Say I'm Sorry (Chicago)

111m - You're The Inspiration (Chicago)

86m - Through The Wire (Kanye West)

83m - Glory of Love (Peter Cetera)

Really a ballad guru!! His fate was sadly sealed by the turn of the century. "I Have Nothing" is really a career defining song. His best in my opinion :clap3:

14 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

08maer_500.jpg

394m - XO (John Mayer)

Table of Points

18V8oPH.jpg

1jZwpqT.jpg

2 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Wow.

Surprised he didn't make the actual list, but I love how loyal him and Beyonce have been to each other. From IASF ---> Everything Is Love. 

Surprised too that he didn't make it.

But mostly surprised that I don't see "Mi Gente" anywhere, especially among his most streamed songs.

Isn't The-Dream credited for Beyonce's verse on the song's remix??? :noparty:

20 minutes ago, deGonzz said:

Really a ballad guru!! His fate was sadly sealed by the turn of the century. "I Have Nothing" is really a career defining song. His best in my opinion :clap3:

Surprised too that he didn't make it.

But mostly surprised that I don't see "Mi Gente" anywhere, especially among his most streamed songs.

Isn't The-Dream credited for Beyonce's verse on the song's remix??? :noparty:

Oops, I forgot about that one, that's another 318 points for him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.