All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

17 minutes ago, Alpha Male said:

Wow so one hit spawned a lot of smaller hits. :rip:

In Stand By Me's case, yeah. The song was also featured in a movie named after the song 25 years after it's initial release, which caused the original recording to smash a second time. The original chart run had a peak of #4 and charted for 14 weeks in 1961, and the second chart run had a peak of #9 and charted for 21 weeks in 1986-1987, in addition to the 71 weeks that the seven covers charted for.

Songs back then tended not to chart as long as today when it came to the original recording, but if the demand was there, they could often make up for that by having many charting covers.

There were many examples of covers that charted higher than the original, that's not something that only happened with Elvis' "Hound Dog" cover. These were his longest charting songs that had multiple versions/covers chart on the Top 100 + Hot 100.

Stand By Me (106 weeks overall)

#4 - Ben E. King (1961)

#75 - Earl Grant (1965)

#12 - Spyder Turner (1967)

#61 - David & Jimmy Ruffin (1970)

#20 - John Lennon (1975)

#22 - Mickey Gilley (1980)

#50 - Maurice White (1985)

#82 - 4 The Cause (1998)

Kansas City (44 weeks overall)

#1 - Wilbert Harrison (1959)

#72 - Hank Ballard & The Midnighters (1959)

#60 - Rocky Olson (1959)

#95 - Little Richard (1959)

#23 - Trini Lopez (1964)

#55 - James Brown (1967)

*originally recorded by Little Willie Littlefield in 1952 but failed to chart

Young Blood (42 weeks overall)

#8 - The Coasters (1957)

#20 - Bad Company (1976)

#68 - Bruce Willis (1987)

I Who Have Nothing (38 weeks overall)

#29 - Ben E. King (1963)

#46 - Terry Knight & The Pack (1967)

#14 - Tom Jones (1970)

#40 - Sylvester (1979)

#80 - Jordin Sparks (2007)

Love Potion No.9 (37 weeks overall)

#23 - The Clovers (1959)

#3 - The Searchers (1965)

#76 - The Coasters (1972)

Spanish Harlem (33 weeks overall)

#10 - Ben E. King (1961)

#89 - King Curtis (1966)

#2 - Aretha Franklin (1971)

Searchin' (32 weeks)

#5 - The Coasters (1957)

#83 - Jack Eubanks (1961)

#84 - Ace cannon (1964)

On Broadway (28 weeks overall)

#9 - The Drifters (1963)

#7 - George Benson (1978)

I'm A Woman (23 weeks overall)

#54 - Peggy Lee (1963)

#12 - Maria Muldaur (1975)

Lucky Lips (22 weeks overall)

#26 - Ruth Brown (1957)

#77 - Gale Storm (1957)

#62 - Cliff Richard & The Shadows (1963)

Ruby Baby (21 weeks overall)

#2 - Dion (1963)

#33 - Billy "Crash" Craddock (1975)

*originally recorded by The Drifters in 1956 but that only charted on the R&B charts

Along Came Jones (20 weeks overall)
#9 - The Coasters (1959)

#27 - Ray Stevens (1969)

Drop Drop (13 weeks overall)

#58 - The Drifters (1958)

#6 - Dion (1963)

Black Denim Trousers (11 weeks overall)

#13 - The Cheers (1955)

#38 - Vaughn Monroe (1955)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

Honorable Mention - Stevie Nicks

la-miwood-1482169802-snap-photo

Most streamed hits on Spotify

330m - Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)

312m - Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)

117m - Edge of Seventeen (Stevie Nicks)

117m - Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac)

109m - Bootylicious (Destiny's Child)

*The Chain is her most streamed song but it only charted on Mainstream Rock

Table of Points

JCasgoo.jpg

Just wanna day I appreciate all your work, I’m just away right now on vacay and got engaged today so I haven’t had time to read it all. I will get to this though!!

8 minutes ago, Mezik said:

Just wanna day I appreciate all your work, I’m just away right now on vacay and got engaged today so I haven’t had time to read it all. I will get to this though!!

Congrats! Take your time.

7 minutes ago, Cherry123 said:

Bootylicious? :rip:

It samples "Edge of Seventeen".

3 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Congrats! Take your time.

It samples "Edge of Seventeen".

wow thats crazy

On 12/9/2019 at 4:12 AM, Ash12345 said:

Here's the list of all the songwriters whose points I've checked. If there's anyone else you think I should check let me know.

Don’t know if they have enough to break the top 100 but Alan Menken, Don Black, Mark Ronson, Alan and Marilyn Bergman, Marvin Hamlisch should have a considerable amount of points.

1 hour ago, family.guy123 said:

Any chance Charli XCX makes it?

if gaga didn't i highly doubt it. she only had credits on her 2-3 hits plus what Señorita and Same old Love which she'll share with a ton of people. 

2 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

Any chance Charli XCX makes it?

I'd estimate she'd have around 4500 points, so no.

1 hour ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Don’t know if they have enough to break the top 100 but Alan Menken, Don Black, Mark Ronson, Alan and Marilyn Bergman, Marvin Hamlisch should have a considerable amount of points.

Don Black would probably be the one with the most points out of those, but probably still only around 8000.

90. Kanye West

kanye-west-0814-GQ-FEKW01.01.jpg

After producing music for a variety of lesser known hip hop artists in the late 90s, Kanye West's career got a big boost when he was offered the chance to work on Jay-Z's 2001 album, "The Blueprint". In 2003, he released "Through The Wire", the lead single of his first album, which would kick off a successful career as a recording artist lasting through the 2010s, and parallel to that, he continued working as a producer and songwriter on other artists' projects. His music had a significant effect in changing the course of hip hop in the mid 2000s to early 2010s by bringing hip hop with a greater variety of sounds and subject matter than that of the gangsta rap that preceded him to wide audiences.

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

623m - Stronger (Kanye West)

620m - FourFiveSeconds (Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney)

508m - Bounce Back (Big Sean)

493m - Ni**as in Paris (Kanye West, Jay-Z)

486m - Gold Digger (Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx)

Table of Points

najN4U1.jpg

cGVnkXU.jpg

7F7c8ZQ.jpg

dRYlDf2.jpg

FIaBQjb.jpg

16fMMfv.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff

Edited by Ash12345

Kanye :clap3: 

He may have had bad moments in his career, but he's also a great songwriter. Heartless is still my jam.

He doesn’t have a single 100%?

Well, it's understandable with Kanye's songwriting credits... He samples a lot, hence with more entries but lower percentages

I'm very surprised that Kanye's label signee Pusha T and more John Legend cuts aren't on the list but I'm guessing he's only produced some of their album cuts. 

1 minute ago, Arxane said:

Well, it's understandable with Kanye's songwriting credits... He samples a lot, hence with more entries but lower percentages

Beyonce, Timbaland, The-Dream, and Jay-Z will probably be the same.

1 hour ago, 80x100 said:

when will wee see final list? will lorde gaga or lizzo make the chart?

Gaga is #105. There is no way Lizzo makes the list :toofunny2:

I wonder if Hilary Lindsey will make this.

5 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

I'm very surprised that Kanye's label signee Pusha T and more John Legend cuts aren't on the list but I'm guessing he's only produced some of their album cuts. 

I actually missed the four Daytona songs from Pusha T now that you point that out so I'll add those in. A lot of the other album cuts didn't chart but there's still "One Man Can Change The World", "Mercy", "Used To Love U", "Slum Village".

5 hours ago, mosspillows said:

Kanye has 0 percent songwriting "credit" on All Falls Down and Through the Wire because of sampling, Justin Timberlake has 10-20% on the SZA and Halsey songs because of sampling :skull:. Interesting thread, but idk how easy it is to quantify this stuff accurately. It does make me curious how much everyone's being paid though

Also shout out to that Kotecha guy for having an entire roster of soulless, trend-hopping pop music, plus the first original Glee song. wow lol. A lot of bad singles from people that are capable of being a lot more interesting to those songs. No offense to anyone that's a fan

Yeah I'm not sure why he didn't get credited as a songwriter on those two songs. I understand why writing credit was given to the songwriters of the songs he sampled but I would still expect Kanye to also get credited in addition to the sample songwriters.

89. Berry Gordy

20130616-master-class-berry-gordy-1-949x

Son of a Detroit auto-worker, Berry Gordy started making music in the 1950s, writing a few modest hits for artists like Jackie Wilson. After discovering The Miracles, he used his early songwriting profits and a loan from his family to found Motown Records in 1959 with The Miracles as Motown's first major act. Motown grew to become the most successful African American owned business in the country, with many huge acts such as Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, The Commodores, Four Tops, The Temptations and Jackson 5. While running Motown, Berry Gordy continued to write songs, having a hand in several of his Motown artists' hits.

393m - I Want You Back (The Jackson 5)

210m - ABC (The Jackson 5)

81m - I'll Be There (The Jackson 5)

63m - Do You Love Me (The Contours)

45m - O.P.P. (Naughty By Nature)

Table of Points

joqJqiQ.jpg

YwRrfIW.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff

AMAZING. :clap3:

To think If Beyonce's cover of "All I Could Do Is Cry" from Cadillac Records charted on the Hot 100, Berry Gordy would have charting songwriting credits for Diana Ross, Etta James, Mariah Carey, Beyonce, and Rita Ora. A very specific line of talented female crossover artists rooted in R&B. That's CRAZY. 

Don't come for Rita Ora btw... this is how she stepped on the scene. 

Honorable Mention - Ray Davies

Ray-Davies-The-Kinks-770.jpg?format=1500

Most streamed hits on Spotify

169m - You Really Got Me (The Kinks)

94m - All Day and All of the Night (The Kinks)

86m - Push It (Salt-N-Peppa)

82m - Lola (The Kinks)

71m - Sunny Afternoon (The Kinks)

Table of Points

aMQXcrU.jpg

88. Calvin Harris

calvin-harris-GettyImages-922502210-696x

Scottish DJ, producer, singer and songwriter Calvin Harris had his first commercial success with his album "I Created Disco" in 2007, which spawned a few hits in the UK. His first success on the US charts was in 2010 when he collaborated with Chris Brown on "Yeah 3x", and he has written and produced many significant hits in dance related genres such as EDM throughout the 2010s, often featuring other artists as the lead vocalists.

980m - This Is What You Came For (Calvin Harris feat. Rihanna)

914m - One Kiss (Calvin Harris feat. Dua Lipa)

669m - How Deep Is Your Love (Calvin Harris)

667m - Feels (Calvin Harris feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, Big Sean)

656m - Summer (Calvin Harris)

Table of Points

C2uJhOX.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.