Nasmaraj ties Elton John

Green

Lil Nas X ties Elton John as the second gay artist to top the Hot 100 for at least 14 weeks

And soon her will be the top gay artist. No more bottoming for Drake. :katie2:

Edited by greeneyedsoul

Oh wow i forgot that Candle in the Wind existed. 

Next week the superior gay will have more weeks :clap3:

Edited by Raver
next week

Nasmaraj ties Elton John

i thought there were on some BDSM ****

But i wouldnt be surprised about mama elton partaking in such activities

1 hour ago, Green said:

second gay artist to top the Hot 100

but i gotta feeling exists :mandown:

On 7/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, badgirlriri said:

First openly gay :clap3:

Elton John "came out" as bisexual 40 years ago, and he has been an activist in the LGBTQAI community for decades. John is far from a "closet case."

On 7/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, Raver said:

Next week the superior gay will have more weeks :clap3:

Hmmm.....Elton John scored at least one week in the H 100 T 40 for 30 consecutive years, 1970-99. And CITW 97 actually sold slight ly more singles in its first week at retail, about 3.44 MM total, than 25 in its first week, 3.38 MM.

CITW 97 is still the only single/song to go Diamond based on sales alone, and outsold the 2nd biggest selling physical single, I Will Always Love You by more than 2:1. IWALY has since been recertified to 8 MM when the RIAA combined physical, digital, and streaming units combined.

So, I don't think Lil Nas X or OTR, or anyone else, will ever reach anything close to Elton John or CITW 97.

5 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

Hmmm.....Elton John scored at least one week in the H 100 T 40 for 30 consecutive years, 1970-99. And CITW 97 actually sold slight ly more singles in its first week at retail, about 3.44 MM total, than 25 in its first week, 3.38 MM.

CITW 97 is still the only single/song to go Diamond based on sales alone, and outsold the 2nd biggest selling physical single, I Will Always Love You by more than 2:1. IWALY has since been recertified to 8 MM when the RIAA combined physical, digital, and streaming units combined.

So, I don't think Lil Nas X or OTR, or anyone else, will ever reach anything close to Elton John or CITW 97.

How was that song so successful? It’s completely forgotten

1 hour ago, getinthezone said:

How was that song so successful

Its a tribute song for the late Princess Diana of Wales

how is that even a question?

Edited by Enoch

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

Thank you @Enoch! A song/single that sold 33 MILLION PHYSICAL SINGLES WORLDWIDE is hardly forgotten!

9 hours ago, getinthezone said:

How was that song so successful? It’s completely forgotten

Oh yeah.  Elton John also just had a biopic come out, a la Freddie Mercury.  Only legends have biopics.  And I'm not even really a fan of John, much less a "Stan."  

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

18 minutes ago, brianc33710 said:

Thank you @Enoch! A song/single that sold 33 MILLION PHYSICAL SINGLES WORLDWIDE is hardly forgotten!

Oh I see, so it had death hype. For a single that sold 33 Million it sure is!

5 minutes ago, Cas said:

How that song is so big is beyond me :devil:

CITW 97 or OTR?  CITW 97 is far and away the biggest charity song of all time, as it raised $32+ million dollars for Princess Diana-related charities.  I assume that Princess Diana died before many of you were born (August 1997).  Princess Diana was probably the most-beloved women in history.  So, when she was killed in the car crash, her death made highlights around the entire world.

1 minute ago, getinthezone said:

Oh I see, so it had death hype. For a single that sold 33 Million it sure is!

Really?  CITW also charted in the early 1970s (Rock Ballad) and the late 1980s (Piano Ballad), as a tribute to Marilyn Monroe.  I don't fault the fact that the original version is better.  But, don't make the mistake of saying OTR is anywhere near as big as CITW 97.  The cup of your argument can't hold a drop of water.  Just because the song predates you doesn't mean it wasn't huge. 

The major reason you never hear the song is that after Elton John played CITW 97 at Diana's funeral is because he swore to never sing the song again unless Princes William and Harry asked.  He only sings the original CITW on tours.  I guess when the artist swears he won't play it again without her family's request, you obviously don't hear it as much.  He didn't even add it to I-Tunes and Spotify for quite some time after both mediums of consumption came around.

One last CITW 97 fact, it stayed in the Canadian Top 20 for over 3 YEARS!  Since my girlfriend lives north of the border (Winnipeg, Manitoba), I know a little more about our northern neighbors than most people in the US.  

19 minutes ago, brianc33710 said:

CITW 97 or OTR?  CITW 97 is far and away the biggest charity song of all time, as it raised $32+ million dollars for Princess Diana-related charities.  I assume that Princess Diana died before many of you were born (August 1997).  Princess Diana was probably the most-beloved women in history.  So, when she was killed in the car crash, her death made highlights around the entire world.

OTR 

7 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

assume that Princess Diana died before many of you were born (August 1997)

people are really showing their age here

Princess D’s death was the talk of the world until the September 11 attacks

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 1:34 AM, brianc33710 said:

Really?  CITW also charted in the early 1970s (Rock Ballad) and the late 1980s (Piano Ballad), as a tribute to Marilyn Monroe.  I don't fault the fact that the original version is better.  But, don't make the mistake of saying OTR is anywhere near as big as CITW 97.  The cup of your argument can't hold a drop of water.  Just because the song predates you doesn't mean it wasn't huge. 

The major reason you never hear the song is that after Elton John played CITW 97 at Diana's funeral is because he swore to never sing the song again unless Princes William and Harry asked.  He only sings the original CITW on tours.  I guess when the artist swears he won't play it again without her family's request, you obviously don't hear it as much.  He didn't even add it to I-Tunes and Spotify for quite some time after both mediums of consumption came around.

I always wondered how that song was so huge when I have barely ever heard it, but your post explains a lot, the fact that he swore never to sing it again, may have taken away trascendence for this song, as it's no longer remembered among the new generations.

8 hours ago, Mr. Loco said:

I always wondered how that song was so huge when I have barely ever heard it, but your post explains a lot, the fact that he swore never to sing it again, may have taken away trascendence for this song, as it's no longer remembered among the new generations.

It was one of the few songs which I recognized both the song title and artist as a child, and I hardly knew any song at that age. (This also shows how old I am now. :emofish:) It was honestly one of the most notable musical events in history.

I do agree with you the song is not as "timeless" as it should have been, given its place in history. I actually do know of people older than me that don't even know that CITW existed (but mostly because they typically listen to music in another language.)

Perhaps it is because it is not heavily referenced in our normal lives (like Star Wars). Also the song is not like Thriller or AIWFCIY or Firework which gets recurring holiday bumps.

Sometimes, it is remembered almost solely because it held a record. (The same situation as Avatar I guess.) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.