Billboard charts to adjust streaming weighting in 2018

Hector

2 hours ago, cdschart said:

why is everyone saying poor HDD. their very public whining may have had some influence in this decision :eatpopcorn:

Exactly, their "open letters" in the last couple of weeks are the only reason we have this announcement from Billboard. BB never did such thing before, they usually inform us that they changed the formula after they start implementing it.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• alexanderao

• Monster Megamind

• gloamingtheplain

• ATRL Administrator
2 hours ago, Divine said:

This is going to be a bitch for all the ATRLers who try to predict the H100 using a rough version of the formula though. :doc:

Nah, they'll just copy from Pulse Music like they always do.

--

I SUPPORT this change. Loves it.

• ATRL Administrator
2 hours ago, cdschart said:

why is everyone saying poor HDD. their very public whining may have had some influence in this decision :eatpopcorn:

Seriously. Their open criticism shone a light on the shady shit that was about to go down and it forced Billboard to be transparent. HDD is a mess but they did a good thing.

If they did each service by how much it paid out:

Site = 1 Sale:X Streams

Xbox Music = 1:32

Rhapsody = 1:52

Tidal = 1:79

Apple Music = 1:134

Google Play = 1:146

Spotify = 1:150

Deezer = 1:154

Amazon = 1:242

Youtube = 1:1434

Edited by Communion

2 hours ago, Yndda said:
  • Streaming on the Hot 100 (and all all-format genre charts) will be more complexly calculated come 2018
  • Paid streaming (including "premium"/"paid" tiers on hybrid paid/ad-supporting services like Spotify) will be weighed more on the Hot 100 than ad-supported streaming (including "free" tiers on hybrid paid/ad-supporting services)
  • This means streams on Spotify Premium will carry more Hot 100 influence than Spotify Free streams
  • This move will also affect the Billboard 200
  • However, the Billboard 200 will continue to NOT use YouTube streams and any other video streams. Poor HDD kii

Seems reasonable to me.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Communion said:

youtube :ahh:

23 minutes ago, Communion said:

Omg YouTube!! :jonny:

It really is worthless. And WW its even worse. I think one digital sale is worth like 11000 streams on average. 

----

Yes! I love this! This will make artists support better paying formats.

in start of actual 2018 or "billboard" 2018 (december)?

42 minutes ago, Ryan said:

--

Why? How are they gonna know which streams are paid and which ones are not :deadbanana: 

Also, what do you mean by this? Does Simm copy everything from Pulse Music?

• ATRL Administrator
1 minute ago, Jorq said:

Why? How are they gonna know which streams are paid and which ones are not :deadbanana: 

Also, what do you mean by this? Does Simm copy everything from Pulse Music?

I'm being messy. There was a "scandal" a few months back when a member was exposed for literally copying predictions from Pulse and it was a mess :toofunny2: 

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I'm being messy. There was a "scandal" a few months back when a member was exposed for literally copying predictions from Pulse and it was a mess :toofunny2: 

@ATRL's WP Magnet

3owyoTeo38Mrc5CYb6.gif

• ATRL Administrator
Just now, Save-Me-Oprah said:

Nnnnnnnnnnn SMO :dies:

49 minutes ago, Ryan said:

--

a mess :toofunny2:

All I Want For Christmas is finally coming for that #1! 

e766f39b69.gif

54 minutes ago, Communion said:

Where does it say that?

As in, the free streams points would condense the impact of the total streams on chart points 

2 hours ago, NMiguelCosta said:

I predict a certain music genre to lose its impact on the charts next year.  :fan:

???? Which one

• ATRL Moderator
9 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

ur a mess 4 this

3owyoTeo38Mrc5CYb6.gif

5 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

As in, the free streams points would condense the impact of the total streams on chart points 

We don't know that yet, as far as I can see. They could simply increase the weigh of paid streams. :celestial5:

Per HDD:

"A download now equals 1,167 audience impressions, 208 on-demand streams and 416 radio streams."

They could make it go from:

1 Download = 208 OD Streams = 416 Radio Streams = 1,167 Audience Impressions

to:

1 Download = 150 Paid OD Streams = 290 Free OD Streams = 416 Radio Streams 

etc.

We'll have to see. This will easily benefit AM-focused songs which are more urban. 

Edited by Communion

1 hour ago, alexanderao said:

Here are my full thoughts:

This afternoon, Billboard announced several significant changes in the way it calculates the Hot 100, and made several grave mistakes in the process that will undermine the accuracy of the chart in the long run. Their decision to assign increased weight to paid on-demand streams compared with free ones is quite disturbing. Just because one stream generates more revenue than another does not mean that it represents a different amount of popularity. Here is why: whether somebody pays for an on-demand streaming service or not, it cannot be proven that the subscriber is more invested than the non-subscriber in the individual act of streaming a song. While subscribers may well be more passionate music fans on average than non-subscribers, that is entirely irrelevant to the accuracy of the chart. Furthermore, it is absurd to insinuate that this increased "commitment" means that a song getting a certain amount of streams from subscribers is more popular than a song getting the same amount of streams from non-subscribers. This false equivalence that Billboard is perpetuating with this rule change–that if you pay to stream, then all of your streams are inherently indicative of a higher level of popularity for the song being streamed–is ominous and hopefully not indicative of any future changes the company will implement. With regards to popularity, an on-demand stream is an on-demand stream, and it is extremely disappointing that Billboard seems to think otherwise. 

Ad Serviced streaming is basically Radio on demand, rather than music that is paid for. 

I mean, should we count a YouTube stream as a sale? Seeing as it's no different as a free Spotify play. 

No. Paid for Streams should always be worth more than free consumption. Otherwise we might as well count Radio plays as streams. 

Edited by gloamingtheplain

1 hour ago, alexanderao said:

Here are my full thoughts:

This afternoon, Billboard announced several significant changes in the way it calculates the Hot 100, and made several grave mistakes in the process that will undermine the accuracy of the chart in the long run. Their decision to assign increased weight to paid on-demand streams compared with free ones is quite disturbing. Just because one stream generates more revenue than another does not mean that it represents a different amount of popularity. Here is why: whether somebody pays for an on-demand streaming service or not, it cannot be proven that the subscriber is more invested than the non-subscriber in the individual act of streaming a song. While subscribers may well be more passionate music fans on average than non-subscribers, that is entirely irrelevant to the accuracy of the chart. Furthermore, it is absurd to insinuate that this increased "commitment" means that a song getting a certain amount of streams from subscribers is more popular than a song getting the same amount of streams from non-subscribers. This false equivalence that Billboard is perpetuating with this rule change–that if you pay to stream, then all of your streams are inherently indicative of a higher level of popularity for the song being streamed–is ominous and hopefully not indicative of any future changes the company will implement. With regards to popularity, an on-demand stream is an on-demand stream, and it is extremely disappointing that Billboard seems to think otherwise. 

!!!

QueenofCopyPaste

Another win for Adele :duca:

And Urban music will continue to dominate

12 minutes ago, gloamingtheplain said:

Ad Serviced streaming is basically Radio on demand, rather than music that is paid for. 

I mean, should we count a YouTube stream as a sale? Seeing as it's no different as a free Spotify play. 

No. Paid for Streams should always be worth more than free consumption. Otherwise we might as well count Radio plays as streams. 

.....but Youtube and Radio AI are part of the Hot 100.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.