BRAT: Success or Overhyped?

Mrnoniee

It's definitely a success but massively overrated in terms of quality.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• on the line

• YourFavoriteWeapon

• Mrnoniee

• Rihinvention

The era is massive if we consider her an indie/niche artist 

If we count her as a mainstream artist it's very moderately successful 

Imo its a legendary era for a niche artist

The album's not bad in terms of her discography, but Fantano and the meme culture made it a bigger deal than it had any right to be. I only saved 2 songs from it and didn't bother listening again. Personally I think her vocals are tough to listen to.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Almighty Gaga said:

Both.

It's successful for her standards and an unexpected breakthrough.

But also overhyped because the numbers don't match the amount of hype at all.

This, it might be her more successful album which is awesome, but the overhype it has it a case for study. 

It's obvious successful! Anyone denying that just sounds like a hater lol 

• Thanks 2

I love charli xcx so much, but I haven't heard Brat because of how annoying the gp is acting about it 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Considering she's been pops underdog for years, it's not overhyped at all.

I myself didn't love the album at first and i've been a fan since 2013. But considering pop music/audiences have FINALLY caught up to her a whole decade later in itself warrants applauds and respects.

Anyone using sales to justify cultural impact needs to go back to school, none of you actually appreciate pop for its culture.

Edited by masochizm
  • Thanks 3

It's definitely a success. Charli having an album doing 8M daily is a HUGE win for her.

• Like 1

Very much a successful and a great album, but I feel like most people will get over it by next year, it feels like the 'Barbie summer' of 2024

Edited by Billionaire
  • Like 2

The music is still too unconventional to make a dent in the mainstream. For Charli's standards its still more successful than her other albums. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miichael said:

Your first mistake is believing that success, popularity, and impact is all quantified in chart positions

This, ain't nobody saying she is like the new Lana Del Rey and slaying on those metrics. People were mostly impressed by the viral marketing campaing and how she's succeeding in bringing attention to the 'hyperpop' genre, which is still pretty niche but Charli is finally getting her flowers and for her/her fans that is a pretty big deal. Music have seen many phenomenons that aren't really captured by charts nor mainstream media, with Brat Charli at least has receipts for the latter.

its a top 3 in her discography just behind pop 2 and true romance, so she deserves

• Like 1

it's like Tinashe's Nasty success. a big meme, culturally impactful, but too shrill & out-of-the-box to be consumed by anyone over 30 or regular Joes.

Overhyped. I feel like it exists only on TikTok. Outside of it, I didn't really hear it anywhere and non of my friends know it

16 hours ago, Almighty Gaga said:

Both.

It's successful for her standards and an unexpected breakthrough.

But also overhyped because the numbers don't match the amount of hype at all.

Yeah, pretty much this 

If Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo or someone like that came out with these numbers, they would be dragged. However, Charli xcx is more alternative artist as her songs aren't really radio Top 40 friendly, it reminds me of how alt.rock bands in the 90s and early 2000s used to chart their hit songs in mid range of Billboard Hot 100 but they kept their own style and today their songs made bigger impact than forgotten Top 10 hits that were simply radio fillers 

There's some enjoyable songs on the album and she's definitely a talent but the girls are reacchhhhhhhing with some of the praise. Art is subjective so slay I guess 

:suburban:

Edited by jrd30121994

Absolutely nobody is claiming she's doing Taylor Swift numbers. This is tired.

• Thanks 1

It's a zeitgeist moment, not a commercial moment a la Taylor Swift. She deserves it but I worry that it's going to sanitize her brand a bit and with major success comes the downfall era so I hope she can find a way to make that work for her. 

It is overhyped and the gays in here talking bout "true success can't be measured in charts" are delusional. Obviously the Billie or the Sabrina or even the Chappell album are 10000x bigger in the real world. The "impact" people are talking about brat is promo from brands and from a candidate of the PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, but are those not much more inorganic and manufactured than streams or sales? Streams and sales reflect what the people are actually listening to, the music that actually impacts them in their lives. What sort of lasting impact is brands co-opting your album cover for promo?:rip:

Just go on TikTok and you cannot seriously argue that the Apple challenge has more people talking than Espresso or Birds of a Feather or Good Luck Babe:rip:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 hours ago, on the line said:

I haven't. Shrug

Not a flex lol

Obviously overhyped, it's a good success but nowhere near what ATRL/Twitter want you to believe. It's more Short N Sweet summer than brat summer.

Edited by Squall
  • Thumbs Down 1

Very impressive considering all her years in the industry. As impressive as the Shakira,Avril Lavigne and Beyonce comeback from this decade :giraffe:
Now the question is who will return next. Would love a Christina,Fergie,Gwen or Kelly Clarkson-Pink Renaissance or Ellie Goulding-Jessie J one :eli:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

success

the sooner you accept that she's that *****, the better your life will be.

so get over it 

Edited by Petra von Kant

How could it be deemed as overhyped by people who also call it unsuccessful because of its alleged missing chart performance? 

If anything, the album is still very underrated, and still has more room to grow, despite the merits and undeniable success it already attained.

Edited by Taylor fanboy
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.