Spotify first week: Radical Optimism 94.6m

B-Luke

Dua something, babe! Say something, Lipa!

• Haha 8

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nefertiti0

• Aethereal

• Green

• Raphy23

This is actually pretty good if you consider the hair color

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcuYZiRhv7qh9Dc6kFQl7

• Haha 1

I'm afraid it's Zara's time to shine and take back what Dua took from her all those years ago....

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

SHE IS OVER :ahh:

this is embarrassing considering she is the pop girl with the biggest payola this decade 

Edited by gerardsuxx
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zzmyth said:

20M for a 11 song album... I don't see the problem. 

It's almost 2M average. 

If it had 31 songs it would be at 60M debut. 

You guys are too much. 

Dua is never about her debut numbers... But the longevity. 

that's not how it works

the 11th song is already < 1 million, so songs 12 - 31 would all be below that and the average of the whole record would go down tremendously 

• Haha 1

So around 19M with the other 4 tracks added in? That's not bad for 11 tracks.

The real problem is that I can't see it having legs or spawning a hit that can keep it afloat. These Walls is a Love Again and Illusion is a Hallucinate, but sis needs a Levitating and she doesn't have one this time.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, WildHeart said:

@unclefloprry

@Papi Juancho

The epitome of globalness :clap3:

e

Wait, maybe me streaming the whole album on spotify really did make a difference

This can't be a coincidence

:suburban:

3 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

So around 19M with the other 4 tracks added in? It's not bad for 11 tracks.

This is bad for someone of Dua's caliber. 

Where were you guys?? I was streaming all day. :rogue:

wtf. Her first two albums were huge on streaming :deadbanana2: Granted that was over time.

2 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

This is bad for someone of Dua's caliber. 

Where were you guys?? I was streaming all day. :rogue:

I streamed it 4 times

... on Deezer

:suburban:

• ATRL Moderator

Admittedly I’m not very well-versed in numbers and whatnot so I won’t speak to this debut, but what I find most bewildering about this era is the public’s reaction. As a more casual fan (looking from the outside) it seemed like Dua was doing what she does best, releasing quality pop hits. In my mind she kind of did exactly what people expect/want from her and did it very very well. Houdini, TS, and Illusion don’t show any drop in quality from the FN singles (I’d argue they are even better than a few.) I don’t think they are sonically that different but it’s not like some of my favorite pop artists haven’t found repeated success sticking to a genre/style. But these singles felt different enough (at least to me) to not feel like a shameless rehash any way.

I don’t know, usually when an artist’s latest work doesn’t click like its predecessor you can pin-point why, but this is just confounding. Smash previous era, catchy hooks, great Grammy performance, etc. In any case she’s proven to be a very resilient artist so I don’t have any doubt that she’ll continue to find more success (this era is already successful too, not a smash but still.) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sunbathinganimal said:

welcome back

34570?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&format

The way I couldn't stop laughing for 1 min when I saw this :rip:

I mean the excuses in here… 

Just wait after the Christmas and the album will do 69 Mio daily

• Haha 5

Doesnt seem that bad honestly? 

She is so over :ahh:

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

Admittedly I'm not very well-versed in numbers and whatnot so I won't speak to this debut, but what I find most bewildering about this era is the public's reaction. As a more casual fan (looking from the outside) it seemed like Dua was doing what she does best, releasing quality pop hits. In my mind she kind of did exactly what people expect/want from her and did it very very well. Houdini, TS, and Illusion don't show any drop in quality from the FN singles (I'd argue they are even better than a few.) I don't think they are sonically that different but it's not like some of my favorite pop artists haven't found repeated success sticking to a genre/style. But these singles felt different enough (at least to me) to not feel like a shameless rehash any way.

I don't know, usually when an artist's latest work doesn't click like its predecessor you can pin-point why, but this is just confounding. Smash previous era, catchy hooks, great Grammy performance, etc. In any case she's proven to be a very resilient artist so I don't have any doubt that she'll continue to find more success (this era is already successful too, not a smash but still.) 

Houdini, training season and illusion are all bad songs which are not catchy. They are not "quality pop hits" by any measure of the word :deadbanana2:. That is the difference.

Edited by AbeHicks
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

Posted (edited)

Firing the team that payola'd drove Future Nostalgia to such success and hiring your dad is gonna go down as one of the worst career moves a pop girl has made, I think

Edited by Price of Fame
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Not espresso pulling half the album in streams. That's crazy. Illusion deserved better!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Squall said:

How much did ESV do?

27.7M filtered. 30.3M unfiltered.

Miley Cyrus - "Flowers" - Page 160 - Music - ATRL

Dr. Alexander

Is Classic ATRL still around? I literally remember a user saying in 2020 that Lizzo, Nas X, and Dua wouldn't make it past the third or fourth year of the decade because they are all transition artists. Artists who usher in the new decade but fall off as the true artists who will define the decade arrive.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FlyOnTheWall said:

That's less than Plastic ******* Hearts back in 2020 with Miley coming off Younger Now omfg :deadbanana2:

a 2020 album by Miley (an artist that certain Dula stans loved to drag this entire era) outstreaming an album coming off a blockbuster era? color me shocked!

Miley Cyrus - "Flowers" - Page 160 - Music - ATRL

Edited by despy
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

It's a pretty pop album, but with nothing to say or add to the pop conversation. It lacked the edge and identity she promised listeners, too. She mentioned big interesting artists and served retail store pop. People checked in and mostly checked out by these numbers. It won't have legs, as everything else this era. Dua is smart and will be back to the drawing board for a DLX, a remix or even a whole new era past touring. Funny how the couple of her stans who were attacking every fanbase and calling them flops while pulling numbers 3 to 4 times bigger in their debut day are saving face and nowhere to be found. They will only show up when she has a hit again. Success stans, indeed. So much for all that global lipa talk. She NEEDED the US in it

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 1

This era was really as generic as it gets. This is what happens when you don't show any desire to have an actual fanbase, but just wants to make the GP dance.

At the end of the day, it is her fault for not building a dedicated fanbase. How can you have such string of huge hits and still not have people tune in when you release a project? It is good for your music to be enjoyed by the GP, but you cannot expect the GP to continue to support your career when you cannot convert casual listeners into stans. Dua was bound to flop hard eventually when her career strategy, it was only a matter of when. You can't say you are a MPG when you don't have a #1 single or album :giraffe:

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.