Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues

Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

Featured Replies

I blame Houdini & Training Season for it getting panned. :cm: The album is incredible but those 2 songs… :skull:

Edited by TayDuaStan

  • Replies 12.1k
  • Views 840.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Gyro Zeppeli
    Gyro Zeppeli

    I'm screaming  

  • BlackoutZone
    BlackoutZone

  • Gays today would see the Frozen music video and then the Ray of Light album cover afterwards and be like "none of this is cohesive, this is all so badly planned, I thought she was going for a gothic l

if people are not digging let's just not give af, this is Dua's first album in 4 years let's enjoy

gotportugal

11 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Like... :rip: Johnny Cash never shot a man and Donna Summer wasn't a Bad Girl... not every song has to be PeRsOnAl!!1!.

 

I was just thinking today about how fictional narratives in pop music are dying and it's such a sad thing to witness.

I couldn't agree more! Funnily enough, Dua talked about exactly this with Charli about two years ago on her podcast. Charli basically said how boring it is that everything needs to be personal and relatable in the current pop landscape. I think her words were something like, "F*ck relatability, serve me the fantasy!" Like, what's the point of pop music if I can't use it to escape reality?

I'm honestly really underwhelmed, hopefully the songs will grow on me. I expected to love it.

16 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Nah some of them clearly do, the absurdity of the album lacking personality, because she's not announcing every step of her personal life to the public so the world can connect the songs to it. End of an Era is full of personality, it's cheeky, it's self-aware, it's fun

Again, they didn't say that. They actually commended her for being private and said she didn't need to reveal details of her private life. 

21 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

Agree with some of the lashings, but those coming for her personal life and forcing her to put out there some obscure details cause that's a requirement for her to be a star can back off really :rip: Is this the post-Taylor Swift pop landscape of oversharing details from your life on pop music?

Now who said that :rip:

 

Spoiler

I lowkey think this mentality is part of why she's relatively flopping in the US and why half the board think she's still a faceless nobody though tbf :rip:

 

2 minutes ago, Miichael said:

If she was a new artist or an indie act they would be praising this album to no end, they probably just want to knock her down a few pegs after Future Nostalgia was such a roaring success both critically and commercially. This album is definitely not as accessible as FN but it's a really interesting turn in her sound and way better than if she had just made FN 2.0.

Yeah, I said it earlier but if she has a "the audience isn't getting it/it's too ahead of its time" album, now is the best time honestly. She's still young, she has drive, and she's still popular and well-liked. I don't see this underperforming critically/commercially doing too much damage. FN was a such a massive and sudden success that its successor was bound to get dragged for not possibly reaching those heights.

The way Anything For Love almost feels like an Adele classique at the start (thank you Tobias) then switches into…funk pop. Sure girl you do you 

I thought this was going to be a disappointment after seeing the comments on here all day but I've just finished it and I like it. :deadbanana:
Sure it's not out of this world revolutionary and most of the songs aren't what I'd call pop perfection but there's personality on here and some of the songs are great. 
 

The highlights for me are probably: Houdini, Whatcha Doing, Maria, Training Season, These Walls, French Exit and Happy for You in that order. 

As long as she doesn't take too long to put out DL4, I think she'll be fine. In the meantime, if none of the future singles end up doing well, she can always do some DJ collabs to keep her name in the airwaves.

 

ItuKx0m.gif

Edited by Virgos Groove

4 minutes ago, Yes, AND said:

Again, they didn't say that. They actually commended her for being private and said she didn't need to reveal details of her private life. 

and then compared her to a Sims :rip:

 they know exactly what they were doing and have been recently pretty clear on which type of popstar they prefer, shame it's the ones that wash their dirtiest laundry out in the open

5 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

if people are not digging let's just not give af, this is Dua's first album in 4 years let's enjoy

gotportugal

This! Don't let any negativity ruin your enjoyment of the album guys! 

Ironically, I think this might be Dua's best album :clap3:Not sure if it's my favorite, but it's so consistent.

The culture will be late to catch up to how good Radical Optimism is, but that's okay.

This kinda being Dua's Impossible Princess... the curse of being inspired by Britpop I guess.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

As long as she doesn't take too long to put out DL4, I think she'll be fine. In the meantime, if none of the future singles end up doing well, she can always do some DJ collabs to keep her name in the airwaves.

 

ItuKx0m.gif

She is on the line with Calvin Harris right now.

 

In all honesty let's take her advice and be radically optimistic.

Edited by Asherio

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

As long as she doesn't take too long to put out DL4, I think she'll be fine. In the meantime, if none of the future singles end up doing well, she can always do some DJ collabs to keep her name in the airwaves.

 

ItuKx0m.gif

ItuKx0m.gif

This is her best work and Falling Forever is her best song I'm confused with the single choice End of an Era should have been the lead followed by FF

Just now, mileytayIor said:

RO debuts with a score of 71/100 on Metacritic. 
 

 

but user halcyonday posted like 6 times it was PANNED? what happened?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.