Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

4 minutes ago, jomarr said:

They didn't though. It had a lukewarm reception but they did not rip it to shreds.

It has a 72 in Metacritic for crying out loud. Not acclaimed but definitely not a terrible score.

I would agree that the era is mismanaged but then again, those who couldn't enjoy the music without good numbers have problems they are worrying that doesn't really concern them. It's one thing to acknowledge the disappointing numbers but it's a completely different banana obsessing about it three days after the album's release.

A 72 is not great for an album after FN, and considering it's one of the lower ranked albums on MC this year overall, it's just not great. 

I'm loving the album even with the bad numbers, so I don't really get the second point here but maybe you're talking about someone else. I'm going to continue discussing every part of this album, flop numbers included, just as one does in an album thread. 

I was simply very disappointed in several things this weekend regarding this album, and the MET Gala look was one of them. If she impresses me again, I will praise her. She's currently my favorite artist so it's not like I'm just hating. 

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SayIt

• mike_int

• Cain

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, LanaXtinaFan said:

There is no way this is true. Is it?

It is true. :dancehall2:

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, jomarr said:

They didn't though. It had a lukewarm reception but they did not rip it to shreds.

It has a 72 in Metacritic for crying out loud. Not acclaimed but definitely not a terrible score.

I would agree that the era is mismanaged but then again, those who couldn't enjoy the music without good numbers have problems they are worrying that doesn't really concern them. It's one thing to acknowledge the disappointing numbers but it's a completely different banana obsessing about it three days after the album's release.

Crazy how a 72 in Metacritic is considered "terrible" by many. We really do live in an era where people consider a 7-8 out of 10 average or "mid" instead of well above average.

The era is a bit messy, but I'm mostly here to enjoy the music and Miss Peep gave me bops.

oCVwoyf.gif

Edited by highwind44029
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

72 doesn't seem that bad until you consider the 2024 curve. She is 108th out of 120 albums ranked on Metacritic this year.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/year/filtered?page=1

I don't really know why the critics were so harsh on this album, and I don't really care about their opinions, but if we weren't gonna have success it would have been nice to have acclaim. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

You sat in the thread for 6 months repeating how you were done with the era, with nothing-burger comments over and over and now you want to drag someone who's actually making comments that open up discussion outside of "Omg I HATE this song!" x1000.

You're always entitled to share your opinion, but considering that was never my issue, it's very interesting that you would like to drag my posts after saying you should be allowed to share yours. 

I can talk about her team all I want since this is a thread about her and the album. I'm not expecting Dua to hop in here, but this isn't out of the ordinary for an ATRL album thread post-release. You talk about how to navigate the era, I've already given my rankings of songs and praised the album in here several times, there is plenty to talk about outside of that. 

You're repeating yourself over and over and over, just like you claim I was doing. We get it… you think her team sucks, her fashion sucks, etc etc. Don't come for people being "negative" and then spew your negativity all over the thread repeatedly. Take a break sis.

• Like 1

End of an era is such a cute bop, idk why she released Dellusion :gaynetcat4:

2 minutes ago, LanaXtinaFan said:

You're repeating yourself over and over and over, just like you claim I was doing. We get it… you think her team sucks, her fashion sucks, etc etc. Don't come for people being "negative" and then spew your negativity all over the thread repeatedly. Take a break sis.

I'll do whatever I want because I'm actually making different points with every post, and not posting in a thread of an album I said I was done with before it actually came out. Since you said you were done, feel free to exit the thread or put me on mute since you're so bothered by my opinions. :heart: 

• Thumbs Down 1

This was actually a cute performance, I think they should push Illusion through the summer. It has a decent shot to take off as summer picks up. 

After that's done, they can push Happy For You, but it would be better to wait for late Summer/Fall imo

8 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I'll do whatever I want because I'm actually making different points with every post, and not posting in a thread of an album I said I was done with before it actually came out. Since you said you were done, feel free to exit the thread or put me on mute since you're so bothered by my opinions. :heart: 

You're making points nobody cares about, but keep telling yourself that. You're perched in a dua lipa thread going on and on and on about how you're worried about her career like it affects your life in any way. Step outside.

11 hours ago, _Fey said:

People forget there was a time when pop girls used to release underperforming projects and just...moved on and succeeded in future projects. 

Today it feels like everyone thinks each new project is either a new peak or career-killing. 

To be fair, cultural climate is much different now. There's far more demanding our attention spans and the monoculture of previous decades has splintered. So if you lose your grasp of the public's attention, the stakes are much higher now than they once were

Regardless, she will bounce back. It's not nearly the life or death thing others are making it out to be

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LanaXtinaFan said:

You're making points nobody cares about, but keep telling yourself that. You're perched in a dua lipa thread going on and on and on about how you're worried about her career like it affects your life in any way. Step outside.

Do you think anyone cares about you and me arguing for the past hour? At least I'm talking about Dua's career, your last 5 posts on this website have been you in here trying to lash me for no reason other than me sharing thoughts :deadbanana2: I'm done being disruptive to the thread, but take into account those last two words you said, love.

I think her dad is ok by her side when it comes to financial decisions, commercial deals and stuff like that because it warranties that he will make the best decisions for her, but in terms of image, promo, and the musical side of her career, she needs a more experienced team.

44 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I can't wait to hear Falling Forever live :jonny5:

Hide contents

unless she cuts it cause she doesn't wanna sing it every night and I lose again :jonny4:

The sustained notes will be pre recorded. 

7 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I love Illusion the track but it sounds better live every time. The Times Square version was such a collapse :jonnycat:

1 minute ago, nooniebao said:

Based on the numbers, the two choices for singles should probably be Whatcha Doing and These Walls

…but we're getting HFY performances :jonny:

4 hours ago, popmusic said:

US sales:

CDs - 3.2K

LPs - 3.2K

Digital albums - 3.8K

Total units: 21.4K to date

How many people where there yesterday at Times Square? Maybe only people at the front row actually bought the album  :gaycat6:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, popmusic said:

US sales:

CDs - 3.2K

LPs - 3.2K

Digital albums - 3.8K

Wait, if we're supposed to do 55-65k or so, where are the rest of the units coming from this week? It can't be just streaming.

Posted (edited)

I can't with the random meltdowns, like, if her and her label doesn't seem to care, why do you care so much :deadbanana2:? Enjoy what you have and that's it

Edited by BrokenMachine
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Yes, AND said:

The sustained notes will be pre recorded. 

Why are you so obsessed coming every day to this thread to say 'Dua will use pre recorded vocals' (even when she has never used them)? Go out and touch some grass :dies:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, popmusic said:

US sales:

CDs - 3.2K

LPs - 3.2K

Digital albums - 3.8K

Why did I read UK? I was like yeah, she's going to debut with 50k in UK, is that enough to beat Taylor?

nevermind :rip: If this is true, I can see her debuting with 45k

31 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

I can't with the random meltdowns, like, if her and her label doesn't seem to care, why do you care so much :deadbanana2:? Enjoy what you have and that's it

I promise I flippantly wrote those posts while I was folding laundry it's not deep at all, this is just ATRL **** talking

I actually think this look grew on me I just HATE the Q-panty looking corset :jonny:

Her new sound is too generic, while also being too niche.  Future Nostaliga had that disco slant that gave her both cross-cultural, and cross-demographic appeal. Her new music is too European and too chill. It sounds like something you'd hear outside a restaurant on a Barcelona beach. Background music.  Her and Miley should have switched album titles. 

• Like 2

You can always tell when people stan somebody for success because they have meltdowns as soon as their fave is not on top. 

As a casual fan are there any bops on here worth checking out?

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.