What was the exact moment Lady Gaga lost her edge?

Starfish

28 minutes ago, zeogo said:

Which J Lo mess?

JLo worked with RedOne for her 2011 album and several of the songs had a vibe similar to Gaga’s work with him. She got insecure that people would think she was just a puppet and told them to add her on the writing credits for a few of the songs.

• Like 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• Jay07

• Kimi

• lg6chromatica

Let me start by saying Gaga is an icon, no doubt about it. BUT her music became more and more experimental and by the time we reached artpop, she became so far removed from what the geepee was initially invested in. I never forget the stories about her being vomited on during her performance of swine…. I also think Joanne was a misstep, it really lost the mystery and the identify around her as a performer. Nevertheless, I think her decline was a good thing for her wellbeing and she seems in a much much better place. Fame at that level can really mess you up - we’ve seen the demise of many others before - but she seems happy & her acting success and transition is undeniable 

• Like 2

The moment Judas release and then TEOG and Y&I, she just started to slip

The Express yourself rehash and then the final straw was when Roar stomped. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zeogo said:

Which J Lo mess?

Edited by Josh
  • Haha 1

She never got back to her peak after Judas flopped. It’s been downhill since then. 

as someone who was just a young teen and not really following pop culture at that point, i remember joanne being the moment when everyone was saying they want the old gaga back and her superbowl performance brining a lot of exposure back to her career. waatching her perform just dance, poker face, etc was nostalgic and a moment of "remember the old gaga"

when she did AHS she still had a lot of edge and mystique so probably sometime in between then and releasing joanne 

The cracks were forming from no more working with RedOne, but she lost her edge with whatever she was doing during ARTPOP. Plus, the Oscar performance finally veiled the curtains for 2008-2013 Gaga at that point. 

On 3/12/2024 at 8:44 PM, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Since the release of Judas everything has been a mess.

Yet Judas is bigger s than any """"hit""""" by your fav as a lead artist in the 2010s and 2020s

Spotify:

Judas - 441,105,371

Hold Me Closer - 374,242,686

Work ***** - 323,211,273

Criminal - 246,866,345

TTWE - 170,128,903

I Wanna Go - 159,317,539

Make Me - 132,524,067

Hold It Against Me - 74,297,330

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly think it began as early as Alejandro. The song was well-received, but the GP perception of her starting changing by the time the music video came out, but not enough to damage her commercial appeal and success. The meat dress didn't help and the whole Born This Way era made it worse.

There are Gaga stans who constantly compare Katy to Paula Abdul, but Paula's decline actually reminds me of Gaga's in that she still had commercial success even after she lost her edge. Paula lost her edge after her huge debut era when the ghost singing lawsuit was filed against her. She still had hits two #1 Hot 100 hits, another Top 10 and a hit album after that, but the damage was done. The GP was turning against her.

When G.U.Y flopped and the tour underperformed and she did the Tony Bennett album 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.