What was the exact moment Lady Gaga lost her edge?

Starfish

Let’s be real, she NEEDED to lose her edge. By 2013 the “edge” was just not working like it did from TF through BTW. She went way too far to be edgy during ARTPOP to the point half of what she was doing seemed totally off the wall or made no sense to most people. She was not as respected as she could’ve been and she was trying too hard to be edgy just for the sake of it.

From 2015 onwards, she focused on building a more timeless classic legacy for herself, and it worked! She put her performance, singing and acting talents to focus instead of her edgy concepts and looks and now people universally respect her. She’s considered a pop culture titan/landmark at this point, whereas this time 10 yrs ago she was being called a “fad” by some of the same people calling her “edgeless” now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• Jay07

• Kimi

• lg6chromatica

We all know the answer.  An entire book could be written about why the ARTPOP era was so traumatizing for her personally and also damaging for her career.  (I love ARTPOP though)

• Like 4

During artpop when she said she was going to perform in space :clownny:

• Like 1

When she botched The Edge of Glory's music video

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I think there were cracks in the BTW era.  It really became apparent that she lost her edge during Artpop.  And this was confirmed/solidified in the Joanne era. 

• Like 4

When artpop took a cutsey turn instead of the technology aesthetic she hyped it up to be

i lost interest in artpop starting with the VMA and GMA performances

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when she stopped caring about what ******* think and got sober and cleaned up her image and started building a respected name for herself in the industry to become a legend instead of another washed up has been pop star 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

"Perfect Illusion" release day.

• Like 2

I love Gaga and own all her albums but she has never been anything special. Vocally talented yes but The Fame was incredibly basic and she’s never made anything incredible or different or out there. If you looked past her little outfits, yal would have seen it :thing:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

when the system and the industry failed to buy into her cheap gimmicks during ARTPOP

:giraffe:

judas

When she started to vomit in her dancers.

When she decided art pop was a good idea. 

1 hour ago, AmericanIdol said:

After ARTPOP flopped.

I think her breaking point was when she had a meltdown and started @ Katy Perry.

Roar destroying Applause truly took a toll on her (and her fans).

Roar - although it outperformed - didn't destroy Applause because two songs can co-exist. Shocking to hear, I know.

If you think she truly cared about that, it's a good thing she got her lick back, with Joanne/Chromatica (not to mention the A Star Is Born OST) outperforming Witness/Smile.

Edited by lg6chromatica
  • Thumbs Down 1

after chromatica ball aka her best concert tour ever. we might joke about **** but let’s not pretend like chromatica ball wasn’t classic gaga, from set list to outfits performances and interludes. she didn’t lose anything she’s hibernating.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

43 minutes ago, Just a Gay on ATRL said:

Let’s be real, she NEEDED to lose her edge. By 2013 the “edge” was just not working like it did from TF through BTW. She went way too far to be edgy during ARTPOP to the point half of what she was doing seemed totally off the wall or made no sense to most people. She was not as respected as she could’ve been and she was trying too hard to be edgy just for the sake of it.

From 2015 onwards, she focused on building a more timeless classic legacy for herself, and it worked! She put her performance, singing and acting talents to focus instead of her edgy concepts and looks and now people universally respect her. She’s considered a pop culture titan/landmark at this point, whereas this time 10 yrs ago she was being called a “fad” by some of the same people calling her “edgeless” now. 

She didn't need to become a Barbra Streisand tribute act. The only reason she faced backlash was because ARTPOP was a conceptual disaster with incredibly mid songs compared to what she did before. If she was genuinely creative and forward thinking she could have kept it moving and making art, not become a Hollywood sellout and octogenarian collaborator. People act like jazz and movies were the only way out but if you're actually good at what you do you can come back from a backlash without changing literally everything about who you are (see Madonna, Mariah, even Taylor).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

we can’t act like she’s on a constant light mode 

3 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

ARTPOP was a conceptual disaster with incredibly mid songs compared to what she did before.

we left that take in 2013 sweaty keep up

1 minute ago, Kimi said:

we left that take in 2013 sweaty keep up

I thought we left sweaty in 2013 too but apparently not.

• Haha 4

the day the joanne cover art came out

Edited by shookspeare

Coincidentally enough, she lost her edge surrounding "Edge Of Glory". I remember a mermaid(??)-themed visual being scrapped, and 2/3 of her dream-team choreographer LaurieAnn Gibson / creative director Troy Carter leaving her camp. Third member RedOne left soon after too and did not appear on Artpop

• Like 3

Just now, Jay07 said:

I thought we left sweaty in 2013 too but apparently not.

thats why you think that, you just stayed there 

1 hour ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Since the release of Judas everything has been a mess.

SPOT ON

I was goin to say Artpop but you could see the CRACKS when she chose Judas as a single, it's a shame because BTW is a fantastic album but the single choices and visuals were such a letdown. I still remember Judas premiere like it was yesterday; i watched it and was gobsmacked by how the quality of everything fell off a cliff, the song wasn't good in the first place but the video was a disgrace, then i saw that it was her amateur ass that decided to direct it and i knew this era was gonna be a mess driving by her ego and she was surrounded by yes people.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Kimi said:

thats why you think that, you just stayed there 

I wasn't the one using it.... sweaty.

• Haha 1

Applause! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.