What was the exact moment Lady Gaga lost her edge?

Starfish

shortly after Telephone.

she still had her moments after that period but it never sustained and ultimately crashed. 

Edited by Jjang

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• Jay07

• Kimi

• lg6chromatica

She never did tbh 

she just keeps evolving and changing all the time 

someone with so many talents like hers can never lose anything 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

I think she was really hurt by the BTW/ Express Yourself debacle and she developed a fear of continuing in that same dance/ pop space and became hyper self-conscious of switching her sound up and it took her out of a sonic space that worked for her, in favor of something more experimental that never hit that universal sweet spot in quite the same way.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

SPOT ON

I was goin to say Artpop but you could see the CRACKS when she chose Judas as a single, it's a shame because BTW is a fantastic album but the single choices and visuals were such a letdown. I still remember Judas premiere like it was yesterday; i watched it and was gobsmacked by how the quality of everything fell off a cliff, the song wasn't good in the first place but the video was a disgrace, then i saw that it was her amateur ass that decided to direct it and i knew this era was gonna be a mess driving by her ego and she was surrounded by yes people.

To me it is the moment when she went from being original, weird but in a cool way to someone who was chasing quick little hits and who lacked a creative and artistic vision. Judas was a total mess. It was a cheap attempt at recreating Bad Romance and it miserably failed. The next singles/videos weren't better in my opinion. While I love the BTW album, the single choices weren't good. After that era we all know what happened.

I feel like during her debut she had people with a great vision of what her character and music should be like and it worked incredibly well but there was truly an after BTW. Nothing has ever been the same since this era. People around her have never known what do to of her. This is not a shade but Lady Gaga's image is so unclear, her marketing team is strangely indecisive and ineffective and you can feel it in the music too.

I seriously think no one in the industry has a wasted potential like her. Like, she is undeniably talented and can be very impressive but what she decides to do is astonishingly mediocre post-BOTW.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

48 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

SPOT ON

I was goin to say Artpop but you could see the CRACKS when she chose Judas as a single, it's a shame because BTW is a fantastic album but the single choices and visuals were such a letdown. I still remember Judas premiere like it was yesterday; i watched it and was gobsmacked by how the quality of everything fell off a cliff, the song wasn't good in the first place but the video was a disgrace, then i saw that it was her amateur ass that decided to direct it and i knew this era was gonna be a mess driving by her ego and she was surrounded by yes people.

Especially when Bloody Mary was right there. That should have been the second single, not Judas. But even then, she would have had an easy #1 if she didn’t screw up the music video for TEoG.

Actually I think her hip breaking is the Butterfly Effect that set it all off. 

3 hours ago, AmericanIdol said:

After ARTPOP flopped.

I think her breaking point was when she had a meltdown and started @ Katy Perry.

Roar destroying Applause truly took a toll on her (and her fans).

The POP EMERGENCY deliberately tryna block Katy was a big Uno reserve for her:jonny5:

During Joanne, but she regained it again for me with Traumatica and its lore. 

r kelly

I agree with some members that we saw the cracks in her team even during BTW. But lets be real. She NEEDED a rebrand after ARTPOP and that is a fact. She was flopping, messy, R Kelly situation, Roar vs Applause, her mental health etc. If she released another electro pop album after ARTPOP with her crazy outfits and songs she would flop into oblivion. 

Rebranding was the right move. The problem is that I feel like during Joanne and Chroma she kind of lost her identity in her music. Her vision was so clear during her first 3 albums. You knew what she had to say. Joanne was safe and tame for her but its not Gaga. I feel more Gaga in songs like Brown Eyes, Speechless than I do in Million Reasons and Come To Mama. Chromatica was fine, but you can tell she doesnt enjoy this kind of music anymore, even in interviews she was like ugh I didnt want to make another dance album but I did blah blah and you can tell. ARTPOP was probably so traumatic for her she distanced herself from dance music pop Gaga for a long period of time. I can tell she was aftraid to experiment during Chroma era (sound wise). I wish she would stop caring about what other people/ critics/ fans thing and just release music that YOU LOVE and enjoy no matter the reception and charts

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dante Silva said:

I think she was really hurt by the BTW/ Express Yourself debacle and she developed a fear of continuing in that same dance/ pop space and became hyper self-conscious of switching her sound up and it took her out of a sonic space that worked for her, in favor of something more experimental that never hit that universal sweet spot in quite the same way.

I think Gaga is incredibly insecure and incredibly needy of validation and praise. She didn't lie when she wrote Applause. So when the fan worship dried up during ARTPOP she found that doing jazz and attaching herself to octogenarian legends brought her praise again so she just stuck doing that. Even when she dips back into pop, she repeats what worked in the past because she doesn't have the courage to push the envelope out of fear of being rejected again.

Edited by Jay07
  • Thanks 4

"R Kelly and I have sometimes had very untrue things written about us, so in a way this was a bond between us."

Six years later she said this: 

"My intention was to create something extremely defiant and provocative because I was angry and still hadn't processed the trauma that had occurred in my own life. The song is called Do What U Want (With My Body), I think it's clear how explicitly twisted my thinking was at the time. If I could go back and have a talk with my younger self I'd tell her to go through the therapy I have since then, so that I could understand the confused post-traumatic state that I was in - or if therapy was not available to me or anyone in my situation - to seek help, and speak as openly and honestly as possible about what we've been through."

Edited by Gladiator

When she performed heavy metal lover on New Year’s Eve.

spacer.png

That was the final crumbling of that era. Was so boring. Honestly I didn’t like born this way the song when It first came out either. Artpop gave me hope with Aura leak and the first image she posted of her in goggles with the big hair. But she felt less effortless around this time and more cringey at moments

Edited by BlossomSoul
  • Thumbs Down 3

when she relinquished her crown as the queen of shock value when people were talking about miley more than her at that award show i cant remember where miley performed blurred lines.

i think she's multi talented and maybe that gets in her way. im glad she seems to be enjoying acting and is excelling at it. It's interesting to watch. Queen of the arts not the charts.

when Tony Carter left her 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mariya Takeuchi said:

Alejandro

The Alejandro mv was the first moment where the unstoppable momentum of her imperial era tapped the brakes. Everything she had done until then had found the perfect balance between edgy and mass pop appeal. The music video was the beginning of her veering into tryhard/cringe territory, and it only got worse from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

1701895362967?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=e4Iz

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

I think Gaga is incredibly insecure and incredibly needy of validation and praise. She didn't lie when she wrote Applause. So when the fan worship dried up during ARTPOP she found that doing jazz and attaching herself to octogenarian legends brought her praise again so she just stuck doing that. Even when she dips back into pop, she repeats what worked in the past because she doesn't have the courage to push the envelope out of fear of being rejected again.

You may be onto something with this and it's kinda sad. Artists are humans too, of course, but their work should be the one place where they have no fear.

nina-simone-no-fear.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlossomSoul said:

When she performed heavy metal lover on New Year’s Eve.

spacer.png

That was the final crumbling of that era. Was so boring. Honestly I didn’t like born this way the song when It first came out either. Artpop gave me hope with Aura leak and the first image she posted of her in goggles with the big hair. But she felt less effortless around this time and more cringey at moments

what was wrong with this performance? dow we have a link?

1 hour ago, PoisonPill said:

The Alejandro mv was the first moment where the unstoppable momentum of her imperial era tapped the brakes. Everything she had done until then had found the perfect balance between edgy and mass pop appeal. The music video was the beginning of her veering into tryhard/cringe territory, and it only got worse from there.

this is a very interesting take 

when she tweeted “pop emergency” 

that was just very uncool 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.