What was the exact moment Lady Gaga lost her edge?

Starfish

BrandNewBrandon

She'll always have an edge. Even when that woman released a song by Max Martin it was without a hook :laugh: When she did a 90-esque ballad as a soundtrack she had an ugly intro in the song :laugh: 

Edited by BrandNewBrandon

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• Jay07

• Kimi

• lg6chromatica

I don't know but I would like her to do her own Yentl film. I think she's going to smash it.

when she didn't film a video for Dance In The Dark

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JO1s said:

2013 vmas she went from edge to cringe.

omg the crooked wig  

Edited by Raphy23

It was when Matthew Williams (Dada) left the Haus Of Gaga. After that, she had too many yes men. That led to the ARTPOP mess which led to her entire image rebrand which signified the death of the interesting Lady Gaga

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lg6chromatica said:

Roar - although it outperformed - didn't destroy Applause because two songs can co-exist. Shocking to hear, I know.

If you think she truly cared about that, it's a good thing she got her lick back, with Joanne/Chromatica (not to mention the A Star Is Born OST) outperforming Witness/Smile.

Joanne and Smile are similar sized eras (minus the tours obv cuz Smile was released during COVID)

• Thumbs Down 1

8 hours ago, Starfish said:

It might have been when she scrapped the 8 redone songs inspired by the art of darkness to release Joanne instead but I am not sure. What do you think. Long live lady LinkedIn. 

This never happened. :ahh:

I can see why people who do not pay attention to her a lot say she lost her edge, but she always returns to form whenever she releases music. Even during Joanne she went full throttle with the "more toned down" theme. She just does not dress in haute couture at every turn anymore, aka she behaves like all the other popstars lol.

Once she releases new music this year and Joker comes out, you all will look stupid saying **** like this while your faves are Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, and Dua Lipa... the least edgy popstars ever.

• Confused 1

Be careful, last time I made a thread like this, the mods were triggered, therefore biased, warned and muted me for three days :psyduck:

Preach to Gaga Good, not Gaga Bad.

Pharmga Good. Capitalismga Good. 

NOT BAD.

Edited by Lana Banana
  • Haha 1

collab with flop florence

alex-consani-dancing-alex-consani.gif

Hmm, maybe ARTPOP. She got kinda high on her own supply and lost the plot that era. Then she never really got it back and her work since then has been super corny 

Applause, but she was becoming uncool by the Alejandro video, truthfully.

You could certainly see the cracks start to appear around the BTW era (especially during the tour), but things truly fell apart for her during ARTPOP. But to be fair, she genuinely needed to lose any edge she had after that era, given she was arguably considered a laughing stock by some at that point, and not the genuine talent she is.

The second I heard Applause I knew it was over. She basically had nothing to say in her music anymore.

• Like 1

The Alejandro music video was the first side-eye moment for me...

When the G.U.Y. movie flopped (also my favorite MV from her)

8 hours ago, shyboi said:

what was wrong with this performance? dow we have a link?

it was the first time i remember being disappointed by something she did after 3 great eras

At the end of the TFM era when she really did believe her hype.

She was basically the number one Pop star in the whole world, but things started to go steadily downhill ever since to the point of reaching rock bottom in 2013.

I blame her ego for that, along with her serious drug addiction. Hence she came across as overly pretentious during the BTW era given her antics and gimmicks, which is why she lost her cool factor for a few years. The Artpop era was just the culmination of all of this.

Now she seems okay though.

Edited by Pepo

When her arrogance and insecurity got the best of her

article-2469912-18E04B2D00000578-906_634

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Born_This_Way_album_cover.png

This album cover tbh. At least the music was still good, but conceptually it began getting shaky with ambitious ideas and poor execution and it got worse from there.

• Like 1

I remember the interest waning around the time of Marry the Night. I still think she has edge, though.

7 hours ago, Burn said:

The second I heard Applause I knew it was over. She basically had nothing to say in her music anymore.

This is still kind of true. Joanne really had nothing to say, ASIB was for a movie and Chromatica was more "my trauma!!" stuff :rip: 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Raspberries said:

Joanne and Smile are similar sized eras (minus the tours obv cuz Smile was released during COVID)

A simple look at the numbers would disprove this statement :huh:

OT: Very subjective question. I'd say Million Reasons was the first time I felt we were left without any of the edge Gaga was hitherto known for. DWUW is testament that even when Gaga was clearly desperate, she retained her edge. 

12 minutes ago, CoolNebraskaGuy said:

A simple look at the numbers would disprove this statement :huh:

OT: Very subjective question. I'd say Million Reasons was the first time I felt we were left without any of the edge Gaga was hitherto known for. DWUW is testament that even when Gaga was clearly desperate, she retained her edge. 

Joanne (2016): 3.5M

Smile (2020): 2.8M

Joanne: 1,644,081,652 (+430k daily)

Smile: 1,662,897,973 (+540k daily)

They are very similar-sized considering Joanne had a nearly 4 year head start

Edited by Raspberries
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.