This Was 2023 | And the winner is...

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Reverie said:

I think it's the music! I'd say the genre as a whole for myself too! 

Sis. What about it?

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• Suilen

• Reverie

• glitch

Top Posters In This Topic

I still will try and send! I'm just finishing rating Amaarae, then I need to do a full listen to Victoria Monet. Olivia is done. I'll do a quick relisten to boygenius and Zach Bryan and then I should be ready to send.

I might need an extra day due to being busy finishing up my rate, thought that I could do some definitive listens in the meantime, but it didn't work out.

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, greento said:

I still will try and send! I'm just finishing rating Amaarae, then I need to do a full listen to Victoria Monet. Olivia is done. I'll do a quick relisten to boygenius and Zach Bryan and then I should be ready to send.

46 minutes ago, Suilen said:

I might need an extra day due to being busy finishing up my rate, thought that I could do some definitive listens in the meantime, but it didn't work out.

That's fine. I'll be waiting for at least a few more people now.

Sending ASAP I swear!

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Reverie said:

Sending ASAP I swear!

Your message subject line...

• Haha 2

• ATRL Moderator

I don't think I've ever faced rebellion quite like this in one of my This Was rates? And I had Courtney Barnett in the 2015 edition!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

I don't think I've ever faced rebellion quite like this in one of my This Was rates? And I had Courtney Barnett in the 2015 edition!

In 2015 I was a freshman with nothing better to do than sit through anything. Now my ears reject and I have to listen to them! Also I have no recollection if I liked that album or not and gave it a very brief skim rn but I found more signs of life on it

• ATRL Moderator
53 minutes ago, Reverie said:

In 2015 I was a freshman with nothing better to do than sit through anything. Now my ears reject and I have to listen to them! Also I have no recollection if I liked that album or not and gave it a very brief skim rn but I found more signs of life on it

Oh, I liked her album! But she's a Quirky Girl and got kind of dragged. Is it any coincidence she's also a lesbian?

I can't believe you were only a freshman in 2015. I was already several years out of grad school at that point...

• ATRL Moderator

I mean, I don't deny that some of those lugubrious Boygenius ballads are skips. But they've got really lovely stuff, too! "$20" and "Not Strong Enough" and "Emily I'm Sorry" and "Satanist."

• ATRL Moderator
5 hours ago, supaspaz said:

I mean, I don't deny that some of those lugubrious Boygenius ballads are skips. But they've got really lovely stuff, too! "$20" and "Not Strong Enough" and "Emily I'm Sorry" and "Satanist."

And "Anti-Curse!"

It's a better album than the album that beat it for AOTY!

sent!!

boygenius is easily the best album here, I hope my scores are enough to save at least a few of its songs from being tanked.

I think I only gave one 10 in the whole rate and it's to Olivia.

2 hours ago, Ace Reject said:

It's a better album than the album that beat it for AOTY!

That's not a very difficult accomplishment to achieve

glitch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just submitted, some thoughts:

Enjoyed Zach more than I was expecting to, but could've done with it being about 75% of the length.

Boygenius was expectedly painful whining, but there were a couple of half decent songs. None of them were songs I'd revisit though.

Amarrae and Victoria were the standouts for me. When Amarrae's album first came out her voice really annoyed me, but the songs have grown on me a lot since then.

Olivia was not as bad as I remembered but the spilled tracks were largely a waste of time imo (apart from Obsessed).

15 hours ago, supaspaz said:

Oh, I liked her album! But she's a Quirky Girl and got kind of dragged. Is it any coincidence she's also a lesbian?

I can't believe you were only a freshman in 2015. I was already several years out of grad school at that point...

As I feel my age slowly (but not actually yet I don't think age is dramatic like that at all) creeping up on me being born in the boomer of the zoomers years I love it when people say this to me

Also Amaarae is speculated? queer? And Victoria was talking about dating Kehlani last year so maybe the indie girls just need to step it up

ezgif-3-9710dd759d.thumb.gif.afa8ee83ec7

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, Reverie said:

Also Amaarae is speculated? queer? And Victoria was talking about dating Kehlani last year so maybe the indie girls just need to step it up

ezgif-3-9710dd759d.thumb.gif.afa8ee83ec7

Ooh, Victoria, let's stick with quality, please!

• ATRL Moderator
4 hours ago, glitch said:

Olivia was not as bad as I remembered but the spilled tracks were largely a waste of time imo (apart from Obsessed).

I'm preemptively declaring that we need justice for "Girl I've Always Been"

• ATRL Moderator

Alright.mp3, now we're getting somewhere! Up to 14 ballots, though I still need some final scores from @Into The Void, @MP2K and @Ace Reject.

@4th Time Around @Katamari @naval23 @worldwide angel @GreatestLoveofAll @Suilen @Price of Fame @madonnas @BlackoutZone @Taemira @Invisibility @Born to Run Are any of you still working on a ballot?

I'm almost done and will be sending within 12 hours, I promise.

4 hours ago, supaspaz said:

Alright.mp3, now we're getting somewhere! Up to 14 ballots, though I still need some final scores from @Into The Void, @MP2K and @Ace Reject.

@4th Time Around @Katamari @naval23 @worldwide angel @GreatestLoveofAll @Suilen @Price of Fame @madonnas @BlackoutZone @Taemira @Invisibility @Born to Run Are any of you still working on a ballot?

Today is my Monday if I did it won't be until Sunday

I'm gonna send in 8 hours since I'm finally on night shift :suburban:

Sent and that Victoria album almost put me to sleep :dancehall2:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Really?

On 4/16/2024 at 1:38 AM, supaspaz said:

I added Amaraee and Zach Bryan

16 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Zach put me to sleep LOL. I skipped most parts of the songs. 

Victoria and Olivia are the only one's i cared to listen too

Edited by Into The Void

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.