• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeAg

• Dareeyecare

• Taylor fanboy

• HonourableVomit

3 hours ago, NordicGuy said:

Her earlier albums don't do much for me aside from a track here or there.

Now girl I love Masseduction & Daddy's Home more than most, but this is... :priceless:

I really do forget how Masseduction was quite different than the rest of her albums and gave her a lot of new & different fans than she had before.

Anyway. Hyped for AOTY listenings tonight!!!!!!!

can she top Huey Newton. that's the only question i have. i'm excited

0587052d3ae1399af4b1483803127e6a.thumb.g

Just now, Ewan Chaos said:

Now girl I love Masseduction & Daddy's Home more than most, but this is... :priceless:

I really do forget how Masseduction was quite different than the rest of her albums and gave her a lot of new & different fans than she had before.

Anyway. Hyped for AOTY listenings tonight!!!!!!!

I'm definitely one of those new fans who probably can't really appreciate Annie for who she truly is as a musician. I discovered her through Masseduction, fell madly in love and when I tried to go back to her older albums... well. I like most of Strange Mercy but even then it's a bit too messy for my liking. Other than that I have no real opinion on the older albums, the music just went straight over my head. I could see that the same artist had made all those albums but Masseduction felt more palatable. I didn't have to work to find euphoric production flourishes and catchy hooks. But I understand that's not who she is and I respect that. Still, I'll always listen to everything she puts out in hopes that I could finally find a way to enjoy her whole discography in all of its messiness, not just the clean bits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GREAT album! 

Spoiler

The sweetest fruit lyrics.. if they dragging her there's nothing I can do for her.. great song otherwise tho

Also I will say that this feels.. very different from the singles! They all do fit together but the rest of the album def has a slightly diff vibe to it at times

these lyrics kinda read weird for a SOPHIE tribute tbh… i have bittersweet feelings about these lines. 

GMBi6vVbkAA1e51.jpg

86 on Metacritic with 11 reviews!

• Thanks 3

these girls need to stop singing about SOPHIE this way...she needs to be remembered for her impact, not her IMPACT, you know what I mean? :biblio:

• Haha 1

the sophie lyrics.............................

Twitter is already dragging her for the Sophie lyrics.. I mean that was expected but damn

Great album! I loved Daddy's Home so no issues there, but this is definitely better than ASSeduction! The SOPHIE lyrics aren't so bad in the context of the song. 

Deserved an 8.0 at least from pitchfork, whatever.

• Like 1

The SOPHIE lyrics come across as tone deaf at worst, certainly not awful in the context of the album

Pitchfork seems to have a bit of a bone to pick with Annie ever since Masseduction, they grudgingly gave this album a respectable score but it should have been much higher like all the other reviews

Edited by 4th Time Around
  • Like 1

I guess I'll wait to hear the entire context of the song before forming a judgment on the SOPHIE lyrics, but I really didn't expect them to be so... literal?:biblio:

My God! people need to find a hobby…if they get mad at Anne for those lines 

• Thanks 1

I don't see how the verse is offensive. Strangely literal? Yes. Offensive? No. 

RECKLESS.. **** IT UP:jonnycat: **** IT UP:jonnycat:

those sophie lyrics are just way too literal and i think she didn't need to write about sophie but it's too late now. at least it's a bop and a half:rip:

3 hours ago, 4th Time Around said:

Pitchfork seems to have a bit of a bone to pick with Annie ever since Masseduction, they grudgingly gave this album a respectable score but it should have been much higher like all the other reviews

I noticed this as well. I also think it's weird that she basically done what they wanted from her - which they acknowledge in the review - but yet are still not into with the result. The score is a good score, but I still feel they are underscoring her for some reason.

• Like 3

Just finished my first listen. I LOVED it! Can't wait to immerse myself into this for weeks. So well made, perfectly structured and the mood and the atmosphere were stunning. So many incredible moments scattered throughout the record. The singles don't represent the album but they also don't really disturb the beauty of the album, in fact they sound very nice. Can't say more than that after just one listen because I've barely scratched the surface but it seems like this is going to be one of my favorite albums of the year.

• Like 1

Interesting album… I liked Hell is Near, the rest I need to re listen tomorrow. Not sure about the Sophie lyrics 

The Sophie lyrics aren't that bad. they're literal but they're not crude, they're sweetly melancholic. 

As for the album itself, I knew for years she had this dark sexy vampire dungeon record in her and I can't believe it's here. Worth the wait.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

these lyrics kinda read weird for a SOPHIE tribute tbh… i have bittersweet feelings about these lines. 

GMBi6vVbkAA1e51.jpg

there is both poetry and tragedy in all death. it's a romantic way of looking at life and i understand why it would weird somebody out but i don't think st vincent is being weird at all. she's just being an artist. 

to me, it's way weirder for people on the internet to pretend like they knew sophie personally and feel entitled to be offended on her behalf.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Arrived in the middle of the conversation but I'm almost certain that the song talking about SOPHIE could have a perspective at the same time melancholic but also as if it were 'her point of view', after all, SOPHIE had an extremely sad and impactful death, whether we like it or not, this is a delicate subject, I believe that St. Vincent did her best to convey this in the song.

• Like 1

I posted on twitter about this earlier I think people are doing too much about the lyrics about Sophie

Annie has a history of balancing on the nose lyrics with more nuanced lyrics, and I think these lyrics are great. would I personally use Sophie's name in a song which has a part eulogizing her? no, but that's how I write lyrics. these lyrics in Sweetest Fruit remind me of her nostalgic telling of Nina Simone's, Marilyn Monroe's, Tori Amos', Joni's tales in The Melting of the Sun. it's poetic, it makes you think. she's not condemning Sophie for how she passed, she's not shading Sophie! I like it. this is St. Vincent's most sincere era since Strange Mercy I think

and in NO way is she reducing Sophie's legacy to just her death. some people need to utilize their critical thinking skills when approaching lyrics sometimes…

• Like 8

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.