Whitney vs Mariah

GlamSlam

"The Voice" vs "Songbird Supreme".  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better vocalist?

These two powerhouses were often pitted against each other in the early 90s, both sold millions of records but who do you consider the better vocalist?

Mariah-Carey-and-Whitney-Houston-Photo-K

Edited by GlamSlam

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virtual_Insanity

• suburbannature

• Chris

• GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Whitney, the multiversal acclaim of her vocals. She is the definition of the live version is being always better than the studio version.

• Like 4

Whitney.

I do consider Mariah to have come closer to Whitney’s vocal greatness than any of their other contemporaries, though. And I also consider Mariah to be the far, far better artist.

• Thanks 5

Whitney. She’s simply untouchable, the standard, the one all female vocalists will be compared to from now until the end of music.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Been listening to Whitney for a few hours and she could sing like an angel. It's so sad how things turned out the way they did.

• Like 1

The narrative has changed since Whitney passed (as always happens), but Mariah could do much more with her voice and sang FAR more difficult songs. She not only had the range (connected or overall), but vastly superior agility and melisma, better musicality, better versatility of tone (breathy falsettos to a full-throated belt in an instant AND the ability to completely change her tone based on the genre or her duet partner), superior upper and phrased belts, stronger lows, resonance throughout her range, better technical awareness (I suggest watching Lesage Vocals’ analysis of this - he speaks about the physiological mechanisms she consciously employed). The only vocal areas I’d give to Whitney were her mid belts and head voice, but the latter is irrelevant when Mariah typically used her whistle register instead.

I think it’s telling that nearly every vocalist, regardless of genre, in the recent decades has cited Mariah as the reason they started singing (Beyonce, Rihanna, Xtina, Ariana, Britney, Grimes, Kelly Clarkson, Jojo, Tori, Kelela, Tamar Braxton, etc.) It’s pretty well-documented that the entire American Idol phenomenon started with her as well (Vision of Love’s landmark integration of complex melisma into popular music). She is the standard and inarguably the most vocally-influential.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

Whitney better singer and performer

Mariah better writer and producer

15 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

The narrative has changed since Whitney passed (as always happens), but Mariah could do much more with her voice and sang FAR more difficult songs. She not only had the range (connected or overall), but vastly superior agility and melisma, better musicality, better versatility of tone (breathy falsettos to a full-throated belt in an instant AND the ability to completely change her tone based on the genre or her duet partner), superior upper and phrased belts, stronger lows, resonance throughout her range, better technical awareness (I suggest watching Lesage Vocals’ analysis of this - he speaks about the physiological mechanisms she consciously employed). The only vocal areas I’d give to Whitney were her mid belts and head voice, but the latter is irrelevant when Mariah typically used her whistle register instead.

I think it’s telling that nearly every vocalist, regardless of genre, in the recent decades has cited Mariah as the reason they started singing (Beyonce, Rihanna, Xtina, Ariana, Britney, Grimes, Kelly Clarkson, Jojo, Tori, Kelela, Tamar Braxton, etc.) It’s pretty well-documented that the entire American Idol phenomenon started with her as well (Vision of Love’s landmark integration of complex melisma into popular music). She is the standard and inarguably the most vocally-influential.

This fan fiction. 

The narrative has never been anything different. Whitney has always been the universal standard. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I mean Mariah was good in her prime but she ain't seeing this: 

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

6 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

This fan fiction. 

The narrative has never been anything different. Whitney has always been the universal standard. 

I’m saying Whitney’s reputation pre and post death. It always happens that artists become infallible.

1 minute ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I mean Mariah was good in her prime but she ain't seeing this: 

That’s not even a difficult song to sing, relatively-speaking. Whitney’s mid belts and tonal quality breathed it life. 

Whitney was consistent and a natural performer, but vocally-speaking, Mariah gave far more complex and impressive vocals at her peak. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

I’m saying Whitney’s reputation pre and post death. It always happens that artists become infallible.

Whitney always had the reputation as being the greatest vocalist when she was alive so no, that didn't change or become a thing when she passed. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Virtual_Insanity said:

Whitney always had the reputation as being the greatest vocalist when she was alive so no, that didn't change or become a thing when she passed. 

:rip: that is wildly untrue. People were viscious towards her. You’re either young or playing dumb to get in a delusional Mariah drag (as usual).

• Like 1

Just now, suburbannature said:

:rip: that is wildly untrue. People were viscious towards her. You’re either young or playing dumb to get in a delusional Mariah drag (as usual).

Incorrect. People made fun of her current situation. Which also has happened with Mariah in later years. 

But no one ever questioned Whitney's standing and reputation based on PRIME vocals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Virtual_Insanity said:

Incorrect. People made fun of her current situation. Which also has happened with Mariah in later years. 

But no one ever questioned Whitney's standing and reputation based on PRIME vocals. 

Girl, this revisionism. no one has time for your constant Mariah trolling. 

This is a very interesting topic for me.

I do believe Whitney had the more powerful and more resonant voice, and I see why someone would pick her. But Mariah did a lot more with her voice, her agility and acrobatics were far more prevalent and personally that does more to my ears.

Let's put it this way, if Mariah covered IWALY it wouldn't be as good as Whitney's, but it would be better than a Whitney cover of My All. If that makes any sense. 

At the end of the day, they both offered something unique and I am very grateful for both of their otherworldly voices and contributions to popular music! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Better vocalist: Whitney Houston

Better artist: Mariah Carey

Both are once in a lifetime talented legends though :clap3:

• Thanks 2

came here for a sub vs insanity fight and was not disappointed. :lmao:

OT: both > Celine 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AxelFox said:

I do believe Whitney had the more powerful and more resonant voice, and I see why someone would pick her. But Mariah did a lot more with her voice, her agility and acrobatics were far more prevalent and personally that does more to my ears.

Let's put it this way, if Mariah covered IWALY it wouldn't be as good as Whitney's, but it would be better than a Whitney cover of My All. If that makes any sense. 

At the end of the day, they both offered something unique and I am very grateful for both of their otherworldly voices and contributions to popular music! 

Whitney could sing My all easily tbh. It is quite an easy song. 

There are a couple of AI Whitney's doing songs like Through the rain and I found a Make it Happen bridge - Whitney would have nailed it effortlessly at prime. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

22 minutes ago, AxelFox said:

Yes. Whitney had more volume/power, but Mariah could also be powerful but with so much else. Unmatched dynamics, agility, etc. I’d also say she had better resonance since it was throughout her range extending into even upper belts. Whitney’s mid belt resonance was unmatched but to hear Mariah doing it in phrased fifth octave belts  or in low notes as a soprano was so wild. 

Edited by suburbannature
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Whitney could sing My all easily tbh. It is quite an easy song. 

There are a couple of AI Whitney's doing songs like Through the rain and I found a Make it Happen bridge - Whitney would have nailed it effortlessly at prime. 

AI mimic artist tone but maintain the original singer’s technique so thanks for proving their point :deadbanana2:

And to say My All is easy to sing shows you’re out of your depth talking about vocals. Stick to trolling.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

AI mimic artist tone but maintain the original singer’s technique so thanks for proving their point :deadbanana2:

And to say My All is easy to sing shows you’re out of your depth talking about vocals. Stick to trolling.

I can sing My all without any problems so I am certain Whitney would have done it in her sleep. 

https://voca.ro/1gDjFBlAhfu9

It is also VERY obvious to hear that the studio version is very comped and probably recorded line by line. 

Not to mention Mariah had a literal army of background singers who did half the song for her when she performed it live. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I can sing My all without any problems so I am certain Whitney would have done it in her sleep. 

It is also VERY obvious to hear that the studio version is very comped and probably recorded line by line. 

Not to mention Mariah had a literal army of background singers who did half the song for her when she performed it live. 

Suddenly you admit it’s difficult, I see. And yet the SNL version exceeds the original, but you’d prefer to post an isolated performance on Rosie’s show. Her background singers never “sang the song for her” cackling at that lie - they sang the parts they always did but her falsetto wasn’t happening that day for whatever reason.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I really can’t tell if you’re being serious or not :ahh:

OT: Whitney #1, Mariah 1.5, and it’s close 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.