Why hasn’t a debut album topped The Fame?

GraceRandolph

BrandNewBrandon
19 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

jlk;fmldj

why are top ten hits from albums not named 'The Fame" being discussed in here? Also... Mariah? Whitney? 

Mariah had it, Whitney didn't since her first single didn't reach the top 10. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrandNewBrandon

• GraceRandolph

• Bey_Rihstan

• Kayseri Mantisi

Just now, BrandNewBrandon said:

She tied Mariah is more accurate I think. Regardless, it's an impressive feat and one only few have ever scored. 

Gaga didn't tie Mariah because her 8th single peaked at 22 on Bubbling Under :deadbanana2:

BrandNewBrandon
1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

Gaga didn't tie Mariah because her 8th single peaked at 22 on Bubbling Under :deadbanana2:

No, it wasn't an official single in the US. 

Her first 11 consective Top 10s:

Just Dance

Poker Face

LoveGame

Paparazzi

Bad Romance

Telephone

Alejandro

Born This Way

Judas

The Edge of Glory

You & I

Those were her first 11 singles in the US and they all went Top 10. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Pure Heroine already topped in terms of quality & aging well & influence. Not everything is about charts.

Meme’d hits make money!

• Thanks 1

Just now, BrandNewBrandon said:

No, it wasn't an official single in the US. 

Her first 11 consective Top 10s:

Just Dance

Poker Face

LoveGame

Paparazzi

Bad Romance

Telephone

Alejandro

Born This Way

Judas

The Edge of Glory

You & I

Those were her first 11 singles in the US and they all went Top 10. 

You can't have a promo single chart in Bubbling Under and then claim her first 11 singles charted top ten. :deadbanana2:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

BrandNewBrandon

For an artist to match Gaga in the streaming era they would also need to have their lead single from their second album become the biggest debut of all time in Spotify history like Gaga did when she broke digital sales history with Born This Way (song) and on top of that break the record for the biggest launch in radio history. Dua, Billie and Olivia didn't. 

• Thumbs Down 1

BrandNewBrandon
Just now, suburbannature said:

You can't have a promo single chart in Bubbling Under and then claim her first 11 singles charted top ten. :deadbanana2:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/adeles-someone-like-you-soars-to-no-1-on-hot-100-467566/

Fellow VMA standout performer Lady Gaga likewise benefits from a buzzworthy appearance on the telecast. After she opened the festivities with “You and I,” the song charges 16-6 on the Hot 100 – becoming her 11th top 10, her entire output of singles promoted to radio. The cut climbs 8-4 on Digital Songs (175,000, up 61%) and 37-23 on Radio Songs (41 million, up 32%).

That's Billboard. You can't argue with that. 

1 minute ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Girl, they specified singles promoted to radio. DITD was still a promo song that literally charted in-between those others (nearly a year after TFM was released coinciding with the attention it got from the European release). 

what's not clicking

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 hour ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Not really. Especially now when the performances of the singles are incorporated into the album's units. 

Had Lady Gaga's The Fame had the performances of Poker Face, Just Dance, Paparazzi, LoveGame in her units... the thresholds she would crack :toofunny2:

I’m a Monster so I’m inclined to agree, but I do have to play devil’s advocate here. It’s very difficult to get post-album-release singles to catch on in the streaming era, and the super long legs, organic climbs etc. of TF’s singles are very unusual now. It really is an apple and oranges situation.

I think it’s totally possible Billie and Olivia’s debut eras could’ve had more genuine hit singles in the iTunes era. 

• Thanks 1

Unironically death of monoculture. Gaga's most famous and legacy-building aspect was her visuals like her 2009 VMAs performance; who the **** watches the VMAs anymore?

It has a once in a life time formula

Pop star with charisma, Infectious hooks, flawless singles, the looks and talent all in 1 :WAP:

We'd be lucky to get half of that in any debut era

37 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

You could say Whitneys first 13 singles "marketed to mainstream radio" went top 10.

Her first mainstream radio single, "You Give Good Love", peaked at #3, and then Whitney Houston racked up an unprecedented 7 consecutive #1 singles.

After that?  9-5-1-1-9.

Edited by trainsskyscrapers
  • Like 2

The Fame was a true cultural reset. An instant classic that 15 years later, is still as cherished and will remain in history books forever :heart:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Girl, they specified singles promoted to radio. DITD was still a promo song that literally charted in-between those others (nearly a year after TFM was released coinciding with the attention it got from the European release). 

what's not clicking

I was gonna say it’s very weird I had never heard of such billboard record or seen little monsters using it

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

47 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Why are we talking about Mariah when she debuted almost 20 years before Gaga? :deadbanana2:

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Why hasn’t any artist managed to have a bigger debut era since the monumental debut from Gaga?

I'm probably wrong numbers-wise, but Lana Del Rey's Born To Die + Paradise is a more compelling debut to me post-Gaga in terms of impact as top 40 radio ("the pop machine") was pretty much avoided altogether (sans the French edition of BTD:Paradise Edition that includes later hit "Summertime Sadness" x Cedric Gervais): A string of impressive visuals, an album still charting more than 500 weeks later, and the resulting musical birth of disciples Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Olivia Rodrigo, Lorde, and Billie Eilish, etc.

Sales? ... probably Gaga... but I would be more impressed if The Fame + Monster wasn't stuffed with filler tracks that lowered the overall quality. Lana Del Rey jumped into public consciousness with an album that still plays like she only had one chance to do this thing right or disappear.

Edited by trainsskyscrapers

Because The Fame is strictly a top, no verse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The way it was released a long time ago that both WWAFAWDWG and Sour feel as big as TF 

2 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Didn’t Dua do the same thing with her debut? And Nicki?

I wouldn’t consider what Dua did the same thing but I guess you could. Nicki did it on the second album 

2 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Whitney’s debut single went top 3

Edited by Bey_Rihstan

I just re-listened to The Fame (song) and it’s aged like a fine wine. :WAP:

20 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

Whitney’s debut single went top 3

Ooh girl now you know that was not her debut :dies:

3 hours ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

SOUR? WWFAWDWG? 

3 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

Janet sweetie I’m so sorry

OT: GettyImages-1196686163.jpg

3 hours ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Pure Heroine already topped in terms of quality & aging well & influence. Not everything is about charts.

Edit: maybe it topped in terms of charts too :rip:

The failed attempts already :toofunny3:

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

what's not clicking

Oh please stop! it was never a single :allears:

43 minutes ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

The way it was released a long time ago that both WWAFAWDWG and Sour feel as big as TF 

:toofunny3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.