Why hasn’t a debut album topped The Fame?

GraceRandolph

Why hasn’t any artist managed to have a bigger debut era since the monumental debut from Gaga?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrandNewBrandon

• GraceRandolph

• Bey_Rihstan

• Kayseri Mantisi

BrandNewBrandon
5 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

SOUR? WWFAWDWG? 

Not even close. The Fame had good album sales and MONSTER hits and Gaga even held the record for the most consecutive top 10s on the Hot 100 (eleven) along with two back-to-back Diamond singles AND the most watched video of all time on YouTube in the span of a few months and shattered records with her tour. None of those came close. 

Edited by BrandNewBrandon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

most consecutive top 10s on the Hot 100

Janet sweetie I’m so sorry

OT: GettyImages-1196686163.jpg

Edited by dirrtydiana
  • Like 2

Pure Heroine already topped in terms of quality & aging well & influence. Not everything is about charts.

Edit: maybe it topped in terms of charts too :rip:

Edited by Kayseri Mantisi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

BrandNewBrandon
2 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

Janet sweetie I’m so sorry

Lady Gaga's first 11 singles went top 10, which is a record. No one has done that. Janet didn't have top 10s from the get-go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Pure Heroine already topped in terms of quality & aging well & influence. Not everything is about charts.

What influence did Pure Heroine have that Born To Die didn’t though?

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Cheeky said:

Most new artists since have lacked it

Yep, and a lot of the artists who have it aren’t supported by their labels. 

This is like saying “why hasn’t a debut album topped BOMT yet?” Different times. 

BrandNewBrandon
5 minutes ago, St. Charles said:

This is like saying “why hasn’t a debut album topped BOMT yet?” Different times. 

Not really. Especially now when the performances of the singles are incorporated into the album's units. 

Had Lady Gaga's The Fame had the performances of Poker Face, Just Dance, Paparazzi, LoveGame in her units... the thresholds she would crack :toofunny2:

So no artists have had those album sales and/or hits. Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia is seen as a big success but Gaga's TF was 2x more successful. There just hasn't been an artist with such a huge launch since. 

Billie Eilish came close but her hits mainly consisted of Bad Guy and When the Party is Over and the latter wasn't even a huge chart hit. 

• Like 5

littlebodybigheart

i mean…i don’t like gaga but i can’t disagree. i can’t think of a bigger debut after that :michael:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Not really. Especially now when the performances of the singles are incorporated into the album's units. 

Had Lady Gaga's The Fame had the performances of Poker Face, Just Dance, Paparazzi, LoveGame in her units... the thresholds she would crack :toofunny2:

So no artists have had those album sales and/or hits. Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia is seen as a big success but Gaga's TF was 2x more successful. There just hasn't been an artist with such a huge launch since. 

Billie Eilish came close but her hits mainly consisted of Bad Guy and When the Party is Over and the latter wasn't even a huge chart hit. 

Yes, but at the end of the day it’s not really clear how a Future Nostalgia would have played out with 2009 circumstances. It’s hard also to think about how The Fame would fare today. To put it in perspective, The Fame is closer to the “janet.” and “Music Box” eras than it is to today. 

• Like 1

Susan Boyle's "I Dreamed a Dream" says hi - she was a phenomenon, outsold The Fame, is a better singer and had more sex appeal too.

• Haha 3

BrandNewBrandon
3 minutes ago, St. Charles said:

Yes, but at the end of the day it’s not really clear how a Future Nostalgia would have played out with 2009 circumstances. It’s hard also to think about how The Fame would fare today. To put it in perspective, The Fame is closer to the “janet.” and “Music Box” eras than it is to today. 

I'm not literally saying the sound and image but said in another way Olivia Rodrigo's SOUR would've been like the Fame had its singles been a bit bigger and had she sold a bit more.

But Gaga's peak can only be matched by the likes of Adele, Britney, Madonna and for any artist to do that with their debut album there has to be a sound that attracts you, your mom and your friends, an image or looks that make your straight friends curious, provocative content that makes people talk despite not listening to you and all of that during that era. 

There's just so much Gaga did right in her debut era that only Britney can be compared to. In 25 years there has only been two such debuts. It's super hard to replicate. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

What influence did Pure Heroine have that Born To Die didn’t though?

Well I could've posted both (because both are better than The Fame) but I had to choose the best one

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

32 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Lady Gaga's first 11 singles went top 10, which is a record. No one has done that. Janet didn't have top 10s from the get-go. 

jlk;fmldj

why are top ten hits from albums not named 'The Fame" being discussed in here? Also... Mariah? Whitney? 

Edited by Bey_Rihstan

27 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Mariah’s first five singles went #1 and then she had 2-5-1-1-1-3 after that 

y’all just make shut up 

• Like 9

TFM was massive... no doubt about it. But it's multiple eras mashed into one and then presented as a singular offering. Maybe this would be a more difficult question to answer if another girl did the same thing idk 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

TFM was massive... no doubt about it. But it's multiple eras mashed into one and then presented as a singular offering. Maybe this would be a more difficult question to answer if another girl did the same thing idk 

Didn’t Dua do the same thing with her debut? And Nicki?

BrandNewBrandon
12 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Mariah’s first five singles went #1 and then she had 2-5-1-1-1-3 after that 

y’all just make shut up 

She tied Mariah is more accurate I think. Regardless, it's an impressive feat and one only few have ever scored. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.