Lana Posts Emotional Video Denying She Had Rich Parents + Living In A Trailer Park

AbeHicks

6 minutes ago, conquxror said:

I mean I totally get that. But I feel like she’s reaching a little bit with the “I was poor” narrative. Or at least that’s how it’s coming across to me — but then again, I’ve always felt Lana expresses herself really badly outside of music so Idk She’s always sounding a little bit alienated to me

she said they had financial struggles and constant fights about money, why would she lie about that? why would her father have like a dozen jobs if they didn't need the money for something? maybe they had a lot of debt when she was growing up? she has nothing to gain from making any of this up, and knowing her family they probably cut her off after she college or something, they really didn't like her and her problems especially her mum. 

her father starting to make some money and fixing their financial situation after lana was a grown up doesn't mean that she had access to any of that money considering how much her mom hated her and wanted her away. common sense...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrokenMachine

• RideOrDie

• Communion

• NOW

Lana_Del_Ray_-_Lana_Del_Ray_(2010).png

Back in 2012, MTV interviewed the owner for the first indie record label she signed with and he confirms majority of her story, aside from a few details which is probably how it's always been.

When did you all sign her?

It was 2007. She was a senior in college and had one more year to go. Our plan was to get it all organized and have a record to go and she’d be touring right after she graduated from college. Like a lot of artists, she morphed. When she first came to us, she was playing plunky little acoustic guitar, [had] sort of straight blonde hair, very cute young woman. A little bit dark, but very intelligent. We heard that. But she very quickly kept evolving. There’s a lot of misinformation that I’ve read that’s dead wrong.

Oh yeah?

Oh yeah. It’s a little bit of a lesson for me. Nobody even fact-checked. For example, her father never had anything to do financially with supporting her creativity. I don’t know if he was lending her money to live off of, but at least when she was with us, not a penny. I don’t know if he’s rich or not; I met him and he seemed like a pretty ordinary guy. But that whole thing that she was backed by her millionaire dad is a bunch of crap, basically. Certain facts about the record she did with us are completely misshapen.

https://www.mtv.com/news/2nps55/lana-del-rey-first-album-5-points-records-interview

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Archetype said:

"Lived in a trailer park" but she's "upper middle class"?:suburban:

Both true. Her upbringing was upper middle class. She became poor once her parents dropped her off and she had to live by herself :suburban:

5 minutes ago, M!X said:

why is this even relevant 10 years after her mainstream debut, did something happen? :deadbanana2:

Instagram user mis_an_thrope criticized her yesterday and she was so triggered that she wrote a long reply and then posted this video a whole 24 hours later. The hold Miss. Misanthrope has on her :jonny5:

F8wh3NZWsAAfibW?format=jpg&name=large

3 minutes ago, NOW said:

Lana_Del_Ray_-_Lana_Del_Ray_(2010).png

Back in 2012, MTV interviewed the owner for the first indie record label she signed with and he confirms majority of her story, aside from a few details which is probably how it's always been.

https://www.mtv.com/news/2nps55/lana-del-rey-first-album-5-points-records-interview

well there you go, even the 5 points label head confirmed all of her story back in 2012. :clap3:

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

I lived in a trailer park at one point during my parents divorce but was definitely always middle class.

Okay and what does that have to do with Lana living in a trailer park and being told by random people that she grew up upper middle class? 

Edited by Archetype

I sympathize with her, isn't cute random people push a fake narrative just to hate on you, why bc you were rich? lmao even if she was rich who cares...she looks so young now, 

I honestly thought she was in a better place than entertaining these losers in atrl and social media but go off, queen.

Just now, Cain said:

I think she grew up middle class but in her world that’s ‘poor’

Yeah, she just had people with way more money around her and that's why she feels that way

7 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

she said they had financial struggles and constant fights about money, why would she lie about that? why would her father have like a dozen jobs if they didn't need the money for something? maybe they had a lot of debt when she was growing up? she has nothing to gain from making any of this up, and knowing her family they probably cut her off after she college or something, they really didn't like her and her problems especially her mum. 

her father starting to make some money and fixing their financial situation after lana was a grown up doesn't mean that she had access to any of that money considering how much her mom hated her and wanted her away. common sense...

people acting as if the so-called "middle class background" people (which probably means people with jobs by ATRL's standards) dont have financial issues like paying off mortgage,  rent, medication, tax and other costs of living all of a sudden :deadbanana2: her family was not that poor to use a food stamp card but that doesnt mean they're "wealthy" by all means :deadbanana2:

Edited by truthteller
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Okay and what does that have to do with Lana living in a trailer park as a child and being told by random people that she grew up upper middle class? 

Children often don't understand class. Just because you don't fit in at a private boarding school or lived in a trailer park doesn't mean you grew up poor. She had family with means, and was middle class at least. She has a preoccupation with appearing humble, and its ridiculous. Her mentioning that her parents fought about money means nothing when rich people fight over it all the time.

2 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

Yeah, she just had people with way more money around her and that's why she feels that way

Tbh assessing your own ‘class’ or upbringing is extremely hard. I have two rich uncles so purely by the way my parents talked about their means vs theirs or what they could give to my cousins v what my parents could give to me I honestly thought I grew up lower middle class for most of my life. Looking back I can now see that that’s totally ridiculous :psyduck: I had a very good upbringing but you will just always compare yourself to your immediate surroundings

• Like 3

her parents not knowing she sang prior to her appearing on saturday night live sounds like total B.S, otherwise no one really cares.

people still doubting ..

t86mae190a7e.gif

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Children often don't understand class. Just because you don't fit in at a private boarding school or lived in a trailer park doesn't mean you grew up poor. She had family with means, and was middle class at least. She has a preoccupation with appearing humble, and its ridiculous. Her mentioning that her parents fought about money means nothing when rich people fight over it all the time.

are you really so obsessed with her being a liar and a nepo baby? so obsessed you have to click clack your keyboard online and write pseudo psychology/fanfic about how this grown woman misinterpreted her entire life and social context as a child? 

get out, go for a walk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

you don't know if they had financial struggles/debt etc. when she was growing up, middle class does not mean you are rich with money to spend everywhere, AND she had no access to that money after she was an adult because her family mostly cut her off. she had 4 jobs living in a trailer park. that's a humble background to me. she had a family with means (questionable) that barely supported her.... 

Then, I don't get what makes her so pressed. At least here in ATRL everyone knows money can't buy a music career, you need way much more than that to get it :rip:

I don't say she lied when she said she struggled all the way from 2004 to 2011 while looking for a way to make music, being apart from her rich parents, trying to live by herself and fund her own music. It's been well known she even had suggar daddies that would help her financially. Her music career is one of the most 'organic' things to happen in the last years, she took so many years trying to become a singer until she finally got a record deal and got her biggest chance, and in her own words:

"You know, I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry, but none of them helped me get my record deals. Which is annoying."

So yeah, I don't think she's completely aware of what 'poor parents' actually are, but she mostly got her big record deal with Polydor/Interscope by her own merit, after so much time creating contacts and networking to put herself in the map

1 minute ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

her parents not knowing she sang prior to her appearing on saturday night live sounds like total B.S, otherwise no one really cares.

This is apparently true, previously she shared a story where she said that she was Estranged from Rob for like 7 years, no contact at all and one day they met after she was already starting to kind of make it and he saw her singing and that is how he found about her singing ambitions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrokenMachine said:

Then, I don't get what makes her so pressed.

she is pressed because oblivious people attribute her success somehow to her family having some money when she was actually estranged from them and trying to make it on her own for years. if i wasn't talking to my parents for 7 years and suddenly made it big and everyone's like "oh yeah your dad is now this big money guy that's why" i would be FUMING as well 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ontherocks said:

You must be new to the fandom 

Haha I like Lana but I am not familiar with the fandom tbh

David Nichtern signed Lizzy Grant to a multi-record deal in 2007 on his label 5 Points Records. Her full-length debut, "Lizzy Grant a.k.a. Lana Del Rey," was released on January 5, 2010 but then pulled a few months later as part of a separation deal:

"There's a lot of misinformation that I've read that's dead wrong…It's a little bit of a lesson for me. Nobody even fact-checked. For example…that whole thing that she was backed by her millionaire dad is a bunch of crap…"

"We wanted to develop her so we signed her to a multi-record deal. Then we went out scouting for producers…[David] Kahne (Paul McCartney, Regina Spektor, the Strokes) was one of the first few people we reached out to and he responded very, very quickly…We gave him a deal to make the record…[the press] said the budget was $10,000, which is false…It was an all-in budget of $50,000. And we also gave her a significant advance…"

"I laugh pretty hard when someone said she was put into an image. There's no way you can do that with her. She's very headstrong and knows what she wants."

NYC hip hop producer Blockhead worked with Lizzy Grant in late 2009 and though almost every trace of the beats he created were erased in the pop songwriting process, he recently had this to say:

"Now, I can only base this on my brief experience with her, but there is no doubt in my mind that that girl is talented. I've worked with all sorts of people over the years and she was one who stepped into the studio with a game plan and the ability to knock it all out in one take…"Lana Del Ray" was a character and those lips were part of that plan."

"The thing is, I've read a ton of **** about people saying this character was manufactured but that's bullshit. Sure, it's not her real name but the idea behind that person was in Lizzy before I even met her. Hell, just how she was dressed coming into the studio was enough for me to know that. She looked like a pinup model straight out of the trailer park…"

"All the detractors saying she's some made up by the machine pop star are full of ****. While it's impossible to keep the businesses hands out the pop when creating a pop star, the roots of where this all comes from are firmly inside of Lizzy Grant."

Jessica Hopper quotes numerous people including Princess Superstar who worked with Lana Del Rey in early 2010, a year before her deal with Interscope:

"I've never understood this controversy about whether she is real or fake…All artists have a persona…She's not put together by some company. These are her songs, her melodies, her singing — she's always had this '60s aesthetic."

Hopper also steps back and gives a pretty damning assessment of music bloggers' delusional overreach regarding their role in the creation of Lana Del Rey:

"She played daytime industry showcases at overlit venues in Midtown for years, taking meetings at majors since mid-2010. These are the steps you take when you want to get over as a pop artist, not get noticed by Matador. Blogs and tastemaking websites just assumed that they noticed her first, when, in fact, they were two years behind a pack of lawyers and A&R scouts, eager to sign an artist who was pre-formed, a total package."

This woman has worked with dozens of people to figure out what she wanted her sound to be and they all know practically the same story she's been reiterating every year since then. Ben pulled strings to get her out of that first record deal, where 5 Points has a stake on Born to Die/Paradise and the original AKA album when she ever decides to put that out again.

Did you recoup all the cost?

We have a deal with her going forward. We don’t have ownership or control, but we have participation in that old record. And we have participation in her new records. That’s how you do these things.

What's the stake in the new records?

We have a participation going forward in her first couple of records going forward as a result of her getting out of her deal. And we still have serious revenue participation if she does anything with her old one. I hope she puts it out. I think it’s a great record. To clarify a few things about Lana. Or Lizzy, whatever you want to call her for this story. One, she’s a great artist. I feel really bad she’s getting a bum rap for that. I thought of her as a “once in a decade” artist.

• Thanks 1

Just now, LOTF said:

Haha I like Lana but I am not familiar with the fandom tbh

It shows. And yes, it happens for each and every album since 2014. I forgot if it also happend for Paradise. :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Alyssa Edwards said:

Not that much. But yeah, it wasn't 'until' SNL, just a little before. She said back in 2014 her father knew until she was recording Born To Die

While recording Born to Die, I will never forget when my father visited me. He was so surprised when he saw me so sure, so determined, asking for a beat or a deal with my producer. He had no idea what I had been doing for 6 years, the fact that I was building my own little world with passion. My parents didn’t even know I was singing. However, when my father saw me in the studio, he told me it was one of the most beautiful days of his life. He was so shocked; he realized that music was my passion

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.