Lana Posts Emotional Video Denying She Had Rich Parents + Living In A Trailer Park

AbeHicks

28 minutes ago, One Rude Boy said:

The accent :deadbanana2: too much time at those waffle houses

The superior accent. Get it yourself 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrokenMachine

• RideOrDie

• Communion

• NOW

Speak your truth queen. She’s honest and it’s clear, if you’re refusing to believe it then y’all are just full of ****. :heart2: 

Edited by KeshaSwift

6 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

I agree with most of these. I do believe she actually was disowned by her parents in her early 20s and had to live by herself and that's why the trailer park came in and having to work 4 jobs as she said in here, but I also believe she's oblivious to the privileges she grew with anyways. Like, even if she was broke in her early adult years, it doesn't mean she didn't grow ~20 years of her life in a pretty comfortable environment where they didn't have to worry about bringing food to the table or paying the rent to their landlord. It doesn't mean her family didn't have stress, struggles or financial problems, as many people do despite of their wealth, but she was still raised in a privileged environment that gave her the tools to become what she is right now, nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. I think she's right to defend the reality she did feel insecure over the social outcasting she faced at boarding school, or the challenges of being a wild child and being abandoned by her parents, but having nothing growing up because your parents were poor and you all as a family struggled financially is a very different experience than growing up very comfortably and then your parents sending you away at adolescence because you had specific behavioral problems to work through. That's an even more compelling story than the poverty cosplay. 

Some of the girls in here get defensive but her saying "my town was poor white trash and the only well-off people who came to it stayed at the one nice hotel" is a bit insane of a hot take when her 5 bedroom childhood home is estimated to be valued at $1m and was bought to be an extensive Airbnb location when her parents sold it in 2017? :deadbanana4:

Swiss29.jpg

5 bedrooms?

4 full baths?

Wrap around deck?

Furnished basement?

Multi-floor single family home on a lake?

Is that... what she thinks people would imagine when hearing "trailer park"? :deadbanana4: That one user who said "so you can't be struggling if you don't need a food stamp card??" with their tone making "food stamp card" sound like a slur nkjnj. :deadbanana4:

Edited by Communion
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Communion said:

Exactly. I think she's right to defend the reality she did feel insecure over the social outcasting she faced at boarding school, or the challenges of being a wild child and being abandoned by her parents, but having nothing growing up because your parents were poor and you all as a family struggled financially is a very different experience than growing up very comfortably and then your parents sending you away at adolescence because you had specific behavioral problems to work through. That's an even more compelling story than the poverty cosplay. 

Some of the girls in here get defensive but her saying "my town was poor white trash and the only well-off people who came to it stayed at the one nice hotel" is a bit insane of a hot take when her 5 bedroom childhood home is estimated to be valued at $1m and was bought to be an extensive Airbnb location when her parents sold it in 2017? :deadbanana4:

Swiss29.jpg

5 bedrooms?

4 full baths?

Wrap around deck?

Furnished basement?

Is that... what she thinks people would imagine when hearing "trailer park"? :deadbanana4: That one user who said "so you can't be struggling if you don't need a food stamp card??" with their tone making "food stamp card" sound like a slur nkjnj. :deadbanana4:

Where's David Beckham when we need him the most... :deadbanana4:

12 hours ago, Communion said:

Swiss29.jpg

5 bedrooms?

4 full baths?

Wrap around deck?

Furnished basement?

Omg where in Lake Placid is this house I wanna check it out when I come back

Perhaps the "no money" narrative she wants us to believe comes from the fact that her dad was self-made and did everything in his power to provide for his family. They probably reached "rich" status when she was a teenager but by that time she had already glamorized the trailer park lifestyle so she never adopted the new money mindset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one more doubt. I remembered Lana saying she lived in Spain in her teenage years, of course sent away against her will by her parents, but sending away your kid to a whole other continent by choice doesn't scream 'poor' to me :suburban:

Edited by BrokenMachine

On 10/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, Communion said:

Swiss29.jpg

5 bedrooms?

4 full baths?

Wrap around deck?

Furnished basement?

I mean, it looks completely different from how it did in the 80s/90s (it was also smaller then - 4 br, 3 bath) and Lake Placid has become more affluent. Also, the trailer park she's referring to was the one she bought in New Jersey after her awful mid-2000s record deal (10k for something like 10 albums). She was not speaking with her family at the time and used the money to move there - there are a couple of video interviews of her by indie music mags while she was living there.

She didn't grow up poor, but she was middle class (father was in real estate, mother a special ed high school teacher) and didn't have industry connections. I think it's just a pain point for her because of the absurd 2012 conspiracy theories about her father being a millionaire who paid for her career when the reality was that he was middle class and they weren't speaking.

22 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

I have one more doubt. I remembered Lana saying she lived in Spain in her teenage years, of course sent away against her will by her parents, but sending away your kid to a whole other continent by choice doesn't scream 'poor' to me :suburban:

I think the general story is that she spent a summer abroad in Spain with a host family because her family didn't want her back during her boarding school years. She talked about it during that Blue Banisters livestream during release day (it's been 2 years today!) and references it in Paris, Texas. Because she's very coy with the actual details, everything is always up for interpretation and people always get it wrong.

7 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

I mean, it looks completely different from how it did in the 80s/90s (it was also smaller then - 4 br, 3 bath)

Whew, the horrid conditions she must have endured then. One less full bath? :jonny6:

8 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Also, the trailer park she's referring to was the one she bought in New Jersey...she was not speaking with her family at the time

I just think some people have a reasonable emotional connections to certain artists and thus don't want to engage with the criticisms people actually made.

By repeating this, I'm assuming you think I don't know this? Which is ignoring the very text in my post you're quoting:

...but having nothing growing up because your parents were poor and you all as a family struggled financially is a very different experience than growing up very comfortably and then your parents sending you away at adolescence because you had specific behavioral problems to work through. That's an even more compelling story than the poverty cosplay. 

"Of course she wasn't poor poor!!!" feels very insulting when people seem to think it's some illuminating statement they're offering and calls back to that user who said "by middle class do some people just MEAN PEOPLE WITH JOBS?? People don't struggle if they're not using a FOOD STAMP CARD???". :biblionana: Trying to splits hairs between what level of middle class someone is is very much a stereotype of the affluent and further emphasizes how removed from being poor or the experiences of poverty she ever was. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Communion said:

Whew, the horrid conditions she must have endured then. One less full bath? :jonny6:

I just think some people have a reasonable emotional connections to certain artists and thus don't want to engage with the criticisms people actually made.

By repeating this, I'm assuming you think I don't know this? Which is ignoring the very text in my post you're quoting:

"Of course she wasn't poor poor!!!" feels very insulting when people seem to think it's some illuminating statement they're offering and calls back to that user who said "by middle class do some people just MEAN PEOPLE WITH JOBS?? People don't struggle if they're not using a FOOD STAMP CARD???". :biblionana: Trying to splits hairs between what level of middle class someone is is very much a stereotype of the affluent and further emphasizes how removed from being poor or the experiences of poverty she ever was. 

Hm, I'm just clarifying that the trailer park referred to is the one from New Jersey in her 20s because of your emphasis of that quote which I interpreted (maybe incorrectly) as you thinking that's the type of childhood home she had. 

Also, I never said she grew up poor when she was with her family but I do think she genuinely struggled as a young adult and that her family's affluence is significantly exaggerated to this day. I can understand why it's a pain point for her when some people have used it for a decade to negate her success.

Edited by suburbannature
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Communion said:

The mental gymnastics in this thread are something else. Lana said her parents weren't rich which is, acceptable, depending on where the goalpost for 'rich' is. But she literally commented 'we had absolutely no money', which is such a reach and a very debunkable statement. She's just delusional and that's it, I'm a stan from her but I won't blindly defend her about this :dies:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/19/2023 at 3:19 PM, BrokenMachine said:

I don't take away from her personal experience and how the struggle while growing up is be real, but I have so many doubts about her personal life everytime she addresses the fact she had no money.

Like, they had no money, but they still were able to hang out in high social circles, there are reports and pics (even posted by herself) of luxurious parties with rich people, also having enough status of pre-fame Lady Gaga and Lindsay Lohan. Then, she had enough money to go to University and get a degree, which is way more than what the average person gets nowadays :lakitu:

PS. It was still nice for her to go into so many details about that stuff. It's bad she had to do it because she felt pressured into doing it tho, like, it doesn't really matter :gaycat6:

Yeah I'm superrr confused like what is the truth and why do I even care lol. I remember she said she was too poor to have any work done because she was "living under a bridge" and "couldn't even afford coco puffs" when asked if she her lips done. I mean, it's not really our business but the lies kinda make me like her more lol. I think she's being halfway honest about her money growing up but leaving out certain things ??

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 8:12 PM, ket said:

People only bring it up because she lied about being poor and living in trailers, even when taylor swift tries to potray herself as an underdog she never mentions financial struggles, Beyoncè has never lied about bring poor she always she grew up middle class, people bring this up because Lana pretends to be from a humble background.

I always considered anyone who had parents who owned a house as being rich. They definitely have more support and resources to fall back on, especially if they are lucky enough to have a big, extended family.

legends only, no fads allowed :alexz:

7 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Hm, I'm just clarifying that the trailer park referred to is the one from New Jersey in her 20s because of your emphasis of that quote which I interpreted (maybe incorrectly) as you thinking that's the type of childhood home she had. 

Also, I never said she grew up poor when she was with her family but I do think she genuinely struggled as a young adult and that her family's affluence is significantly exaggerated to this day. I can understand why it's a pain point for her when some people have used it for a decade to negate her success.

I 100% get what you're saying but also my posts were largely about - as @BrokenMachine mentioned - her responding to people that she her parents had no money. And that I get how traumatic your parents purposefully withholding access to their resources from you as a child to punish you can be, but she seems to want to dig her heels in to deny the privilege her parents have had and which her dad has even admitted to to where it just all feels silly to me. It just seems like an unserious thing to lie about and just makes her seem unserious. 

Didn’t she go to a private school all throughout high school? She may have not been “rich”, but it doesn’t sound like she was poor either.

58 minutes ago, OnikaSlays said:

Didn’t she go to a private school all throughout high school? She may have not been “rich”, but it doesn’t sound like she was poor either.

You have her on your sig yet you didn't even bother to watch the video :skull: she literally talks about it...

On 10/19/2023 at 7:04 PM, Communion said:

Affluent people not being able to see their privilege because they can only compare themselves to celebrities and the 1% is so funny jknkjnjkkn. Like YES wealthy disparity is so bad in America that someone in the Top 10% of earners is still closer to someone in the Bottom 10% than they are to people in the Top 1%... BUT the disparity between the affluent and the poor is still measurably real and meaningful. 

To have parents who both were educated. One parent working within corporate America. She keeps going "rural!!" yet rural is not synonymous with poverty.

I don't think anyone has ever called her a nepo baby. It's always been that the "I WAS A TRAILER PARK BABY!!" thing coming off heavy-handed and obviously untrue, like someone in a comfortable single family home that their parents finished paying the mortgage off of romanticizing being a runaway living on the traintracks.. go to 7th period chem, Elizabeth! :deadbanana4:

I like some of Lana's albums, but you spilled. 

Rightfully criticizing people who aren't aware and/or don't accept their privilege doesn't mean we dislike or hate these artists-- especially if we are streaming and contributing to their success. 

On 10/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, Communion said:

Swiss29.jpg

5 bedrooms?

4 full baths?

Wrap around deck?

Furnished basement?

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making and it actually comes off a little tone deaf. Modern home valuation means nothing in an inflated real estate market. If that's the house she grew up in it was likely purchased for a tenth of the price it sold for, if not less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gettsleazy said:

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making and it actually comes off a little tone deaf. Modern home valuation means nothing in an inflated real estate market. If that's the house she grew up in it was likely purchased for a tenth of the price it sold for, if not less. 

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making by failing to realize anyone who comfortably owns their own home no matter it's valuation is instantly then removed from the "We had absolutely no money" conversation and that such a description can easily be dismissed as dramatized and false. 

Be proud of owning a home. Be proud of having comforts. Everyone wants to cosplay as poor in America. It's weird. :redface:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Communion said:

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making by failing to realize anyone who comfortably owns their own home no matter it's valuation is instantly then removed from the "We had absolutely no money" conversation and that such a description can easily be dismissed as dramatized and false. 

Be proud of owning a home. Be proud of having comforts. Everyone wants to cosplay as poor in America. It's weird. :redface:

:clap3: well said. 

• Like 1

Honestly, why do people care so much whether she was poor or not :toofunny3: like, I don't get what point they're trying to make...

The typical socialists/communists crying in here :fan: 

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.