This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

The swans of ballet, their skin and their bones, that's not me

eYPGL12.png

Dirt Femme is the next album to lose a track, “Grapefruit” is out next. The song sees Tove Lo struggling with an eating disorder and trying to get a grip on reality. The synthy, electronic beat juxtaposes the intensely depressing lyrics. Tove Lo says about the song “When I played this song for my friends, they were like, ‘I never would’ve known. You’re so much about body positivity.’ And my response is: ‘Yes, because I went through that.’” @supaspaz comments “What an unexpected punch to the gut. A sharp and striking confessional that nevertheless maintains the sonic flow of the album.” @SLIME says “Not to make light of the serious subject matter but I was hoping for a raunchy song including a sample from that 'Girls Trip" scene.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Supervillain

10 - beomgyu

10 - creativity.

10 - supaspaz

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

About expected spots for these too, though I actually thought people hated Shooting Star because of the vocal effect nn you really learn knew opinions on songs from rates like this. Great sing though, glad it's not horribly underrated, but seems like it floated this far by not having many haters.

Shooting Star and Grapefruit were my lowest rates remaining outside of Hold the Girl, so I'm not mad at it.

now if the next reveal is not a Rina song... :sistrens:

• ATRL Moderator

Fair spot for grateful grapefruit 

• Haha 1

So, tell me what you want and I'ma give it to you, like lightning

EvanKTv.png

Back to Charli at #17 as we say goodbye to “Lightning”. This darkwave, vocoder-filled banger was used as the opener on Charli’s biggest tour yet back in 2022. Charli says the song is “super important” to her as it was made with Ariel Rechtshaid, who she has been regularly collaborating with since she was 17, back in the True Romance days. She goes on to say “it really embodies that 80’s emotional spirit and drama, which was really inspiring me for this record.” @Ewan Chaos explains how the song aged for him “This used to be top 1 for me... idk I ended up feeling like for being one of the longer songs on the album, it really FEELS too long. Fantastic tour opener though.” @Rev8 disses fellow ATRLers “the way so many ppl stan this overrated trash. Be Mad”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - TRF.

10 - Supervillain

10 - jacklovesyou1

10 - kimberly

10 - supaspaz

10 - Love Again

10 - Crashed

10 - Suilen

Haters (0s and 1s):

0 - @Rev8

• ATRL Moderator

This is the most overrated song on crash cuz y’all apparently think it’s better than baby, selfish girl, used to know me, new shapes, and twice

:skull:

• Like 1

I mean I would have given Lightning a 10 normally but know how overrated it is teehee, definitely rated too high if it's above New Shapes, Baby, etc. But at least the title track is above it!

wait i think i missed a set so need to go back. i hope Sorry If I Win the Rate is still in.

Lightning is good but could have been lower... I mean it works well but it doesn't hit that magic switch for me. I would rather just play New Order.

Came to shelter from the blame, but I left taking all the shame

Q0e61AP.png

Rina loses her first track of the day with “Holy (Til You Let Me Go)” departing at #16. The lyrics focus on Rina’s deep-rooted religious trauma and loss of faith, while the production is giving “extravagant Eurodance”. This is definitely one of my favourites on Hold The Girl, the drop into the chorus is pure pop perfection. I really wish it could have gone just a little further and landed itself in the top 10. @pavi screams their praises “I'M HOLY TILL YOU LET ME GOOOOOOO. The middle of this album is EVERYTHING :WAP: “ @supaspaz wishes Rina would have kept her internal battle, internal “Good for Rina for confronting her trauma, but I don’t really want to listen to it.” @Virgos Groove says “Whatever she was chasing this whole album, she reached it with this.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Supervillain

11 - @Crashed

11 - @Suilen

10 - greento

10 - Tedwards

10 - Alldeezy

10 - halcyonday

10 - MP2K

10 - pavi

10 - NewStanner

10 - Miichael

10 - Love Again

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

supaspaz wishes Rina would have kept her internal battle

ahsioahdioshiodshiodshdsoidhsoids

Cute position I guess. I'd happily have swapped this for something like This Hell but oh well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, greento said:

Came to shelter from the blame, but I left taking all the shame

Q0e61AP.png

Rina loses her first track of the day with “Holy (Til You Let Me Go)” departing at #16. The lyrics focus on Rina’s deep-rooted religious trauma and loss of faith, while the production is giving “extravagant Eurodance”. This is definitely one of my favourites on Hold The Girl, the drop into the chorus is pure pop perfection. I really wish it could have gone just a little further and landed itself in the top 10. @pavi screams their praises “I'M HOLY TILL YOU LET ME GOOOOOOO. The middle of this album is EVERYTHING :WAP: “ @supaspaz wishes Rina would have kept her internal battle, internal “Good for Rina for confronting her trauma, but I don’t really want to listen to it.” @Virgos Groove says “Whatever she was chasing this whole album, she reached it with this.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Supervillain

11 - @Crashed

11 - @Suilen

10 - greento

10 - Tedwards

10 - Alldeezy

10 - halcyonday

10 - MP2K

10 - pavi

10 - NewStanner

10 - Miichael

10 - Love Again

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Matthew4815

No no no no no

ksganti-htgawm.gif

• Like 1

I'm high voltage, self-destructive, end it all so legendary

oq8CRS0.png

The title track and opener of Charli’s fifth studio album is out next. “Crash” is an 80s inspired, Janet Jackson-esque, fast paced intro into Charli’s most emotionally chaotic album yet. The track definitely manages to convey the destructive and disorderly themes of the album succinctly and effectively, and might just be her best opener ever. While Charli has cited Janet as one of her main inspirations for a while, this is the first time I’ve really been able to hear the inspiration come to the forefront of her music. @Ewan Chaos seems to agree “Fantastic new jack swing track. I understood what she kept saying about this being her "Janet" album when this came on.” @Virgos Groove backs up the point concisely “The spirit of Janet took over her.” @pavi expresses his disappointment in Charli’s recent album openers “She needs to step up her opening track game past Pop 2, they always feel like afterthoughts :mandown: ” @supaspaz says “Our cultural embrace of exceedingly short tracks is stupid – two minutes barely constitutes a song – but this is 129 seconds of coked-out excellence.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @madonnas

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - Sanguine

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - 4Real

10 - beomgyu

10 - supaspaz

10 - Born to Run

10 - Love Again

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - creativity.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, greento said:

I'm high voltage, self-destructive, end it all so legendary

oq8CRS0.png

The title track and opener of Charli’s fifth studio album is out next. “Crash” is an 80s inspired, Janet Jackson-esque, fast paced intro into Charli’s most emotionally chaotic album yet. The track definitely manages to convey the destructive and disorderly themes of the album succinctly and effectively, and might just be her best opener ever. While Charli has cited Janet as one of her main inspirations for a while, this is the first time I’ve really been able to hear the inspiration come to the forefront of her music. @Ewan Chaos seems to agree “Fantastic new jack swing track. I understood what she kept saying about this being her "Janet" album when this came on.” @Virgos Groove backs up the point concisely “The spirit of Janet took over her.” @pavi expresses his disappointment in Charli’s recent album openers “She needs to step up her opening track game past Pop 2, they always feel like afterthoughts :mandown: ” @supaspaz says “Our cultural embrace of exceedingly short tracks is stupid – two minutes barely constitutes a song – but this is 129 seconds of coked-out excellence.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @madonnas

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - Sanguine

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - 4Real

10 - beomgyu

10 - supaspaz

10 - Born to Run

10 - Love Again

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - creativity.

Ugh… this is just the intro song for me.  Probably the SOTY 2022

• ATRL Moderator

Holy coulda been a bit higher too

• Like 1

Crash should have been top 10!!!!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1

I prepared for tonight, ate a pineapple slice for you

mmHBcae.png

The first of Tove’s collabs with SG Lewis leaves us next. “Pineapple Slice” is probably the raunchiest track on Dirt Femme as Tove explains how she “ate a pineapple slice” to “prepare for tonight”. SG Lewis works his magic on the production here, as well as helping Tove in writing the song. She says “SG Lewis and I wrote this song together from scratch, and he kept pushing me to make the lyrics dirtier. Finally I was like, ‘Okay, fine, let me show you what I can do.’ I just went for it. In pop, you’re supposed to insinuate. You’re never supposed to say things outright. So it was fun to break the rules and really go there.” @Ewan Chaos makes the comparison to Tove’s previous SG Lewis produced bop “Easily the better SG Lewis cut, though not quite on the level of Disco Teats that the insiders were teasing.” @Miichael yearns for more SG/Tove synth pop excellence and says “Tove and SG Lewis are such a perfect match, I need a joint EP or album.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @creativity.

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - Supervillain

10 - Rev8

10 - Virgos Groove

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

5 minutes ago, CBC said:

Crash should have been bottom 10!!!!!!!!!!!

Delete this now my family is very upset reading this comment!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now why is Pineapple Slide out before Colonostomy?! 

honestly crash isnt bad but it couldve been a shorter song specially as an intro it wouldve elevated it imo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.