This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, greento said:

I don't wanna be a monster anymore, I don't wanna be a monster

tun5ZnD.png

The first artist to fully be evicted from the rate is, unsurprisingly, Rina Sawayama. “Frankenstein” exits at a respectable #09. Rina describes the song as revolving around “the idea of someone putting me back on my feet when I'm broken”. She goes on to say “I am in pieces, before being recomposed by a person who reassembles the parts. It's a very human and realistic experience, of rebuilding, of creating a new me.” The production is tense and messy, with many different segments varying in loudness and tempo, reflecting the idea of being put constructed with differing parts. I never would have expected this song to beat out other Hold The Girl tracks into the top 10, such as Imagining or even Holy (Til You Let Me Go) but I’m not necessarily complaining.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Supervillain

10 - 4Real

10 - Rev8

10 - pavi

10 - NewStanner

10 - Miichael

10 - Born to Run

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

Rip to her.  Should have been imagining or this hell though 

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, greento said:

Drag you out at midnight to dance in headlights and making out in the rain

39NtjmF.png

Tove loses her second of three top 10 finishers with “2 Die 4” departing at #08. It was released as the third single for the Dirt Femme album and was teased along with “True Romance” at Tove’s first live show since the pandemic. The track heavily interpolates the famous 1969 instrumental by Gershon Kingsley, best known for Hot Butter’s 1972 version. @Ewan Chaos quotes the songwriter herself “You could argue the sample is a bit lazy, but I think it's perfect for a fun little bop like this? As Tove said herself: It works.” @Supervillain says “this aged like milk... :rip: ” while @Miichael disagrees and says “Production is unreal, so addictive.” @Love Again says “cindy... this is excellence. pop perfection. miss tove u done it again girl consistently raising the bar for all of us homosexuals” and @cockatoo says “Should've been the lead”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Love Again

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - MP2K

10 - Temporal

10 - creativity.

10 - Miichael

10 - Born to Run

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

This is the best song of hers in the top 10.  

Okay with this so far. Still baffled Frankie was her highest pick tbh maybe the lack of comments meant it had less haters than songs like Imagining nn. At least she had a top 10 entry!

I used to soldier through my hardest days, I used to switch it off, ignore the pain

OByn36o.png

Carly loses one of her many top 10 placing songs next, with the album opener “Surrender My Heart” leaving next. Initially, Carly didn’t even intend to include it on the album, but after her label heard it and loved it, she decided she shouldn’t get in her own way. A music video was released to accompany the song back on 15 December 2022 and features Carly starring in a theatrical production along with a ballerina and other dancers. @Ewan Chaos comments “I feel a special connection with this song when she played it for the first time live at my show❤️” and @Miichael says “Such a strong opening track. Chorus is huge and addictive in the vein of Run Away With Me.” @supaspaz says “Clear eyes, full heart, Carly can’t lose.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Psycho

10 - Sanguine

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - MP2K

10 - 4Real

10 - Temporal

10 - pavi

10 - jacklovesyou1

10 - kimberly

10 - supaspaz

10 - Love Again

10 - gatito

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Great opener, 7 is a good spot.  

8 minutes ago, greento said:

I used to soldier through my hardest days, I used to switch it off, ignore the pain

OByn36o.png

Carly loses one of her many top 10 placing songs next, with the album opener “Surrender My Heart” leaving next. Initially, Carly didn’t even intend to include it on the album, but after her label heard it and loved it, she decided she shouldn’t get in her own way. A music video was released to accompany the song back on 15 December 2022 and features Carly starring in a theatrical production along with a ballerina and other dancers. @Ewan Chaos comments “I feel a special connection with this song when she played it for the first time live at my show❤️” and @Miichael says “Such a strong opening track. Chorus is huge and addictive in the vein of Run Away With Me.” @supaspaz says “Clear eyes, full heart, Carly can’t lose.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Psycho

10 - Sanguine

10 - halcyonday

10 - Supervillain

10 - MP2K

10 - 4Real

10 - Temporal

10 - pavi

10 - jacklovesyou1

10 - kimberly

10 - supaspaz

10 - Love Again

10 - gatito

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

:monkey:

Do you realize, I could have been the one to change your life?

MLYMFfs.png

The second album to lose all its tracks is Charli’s CRASH. “Constant Repeat” is a seductive, electropop banger about reminding a past lover of what they missed out on and what could have been. Initially called by the fans as “Got Me on Repeat”, the track became a fan favourite even before its official launch. Its futuristic outro has been described by music journalists as an evolved response to XCX’s 2019 hit “Gone”. @supaspaz expresses his confusion “The internet tells me there is no sample on this track, but I am convinced the intro references Kate Bush.” Multiple ATRLers heralded the track as the best on the album. @Miichael says “Best song on the album, period.” And @SLIME calls it “Perfect pop”. @cockatoo wishes the rest of CRASH was as good as “Constant Repeat”, “Mega bop, if only the rest of the album could've served this level of pop perfection”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Tedwards

10 - Sanguine

10 - Alldeezy

10 - TRF.

10 - Supervillain

10 - MP2K

10 - ONOPKA

10 - Temporal

10 - madonnas

10 - kimberly

10 - Miichael

10 - Virgos Groove

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

GOT ME ON REPEAT, GOT ME ON REPEAT

7 minutes ago, NewStanner said:

I love Emotion Side B and find SMH to be utterly boring, so what's the truth :giraffe:

That relistens must be needed :giraffe:

I am rooting for the single non-CRJ song to win, but this Top 7 could all be winners and I'd be content.

• ATRL Moderator

No crash in the top5.  No one dies from love the only non Carly in the top5 

sorry.  That’s disastrous 

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator

As long as NODFL or TTY don’t the other 3 can win IDRC though if I had to choose I’d go with bad thing twice.  

I am entering the next Carly-included rate just so I can vote that girl DOWN

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Rev8 said:

I am entering the next Carly-included rate just so I can vote that girl DOWN

Well, loveliest is genuinely one of the best albums! So be nice to that one :mandown:

What happened was, we reached the moon, but lost in space, I think we got there all too soon

H67zY81.png

Carly kicks off the top 5 entries with her Tik Tok viral moment “The Loneliest Time”. In late 2022, the bridge of the track blew up on the social media platform and gave Carly a small second wind. Sadly, it didn’t turn the song into a full-fledged hit, but at least it got her name back out there and gave her some GP recognition again. The track features the Canadian-American singer, songwriter and composer, Rufus Wainwright. Many have called the track theatrical and expressed how they feel it tells a full story within a 4 minute timeframe: @beomgyu says “this is a theater production in a single song” and @cockatoo says “Telling a whole story in under 5 minutes, who is doing it like her?”. @supaspaz takes this idea one step further “This kind of makes me wonder if Carly could pull a Sara Bareilles and write a Broadway show?” @Ewan Chaos says “And the award for the "2022 song that makes me the most emotional" goes to…”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @beomgyu

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - Psycho

10 - MP2K

10 - CBC

10 - creativity.

10 - kimberly

10 - Quicksand

10 - Love Again

10 - Crashed

10 - gatito

10 - SLIME

Haters (0s and 1s):

0 - @Alldeezy

i don't get where the hate for TLT is coming from all of a sudden :katie: theres a reason its doing so well here

• Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator

I knew this song wouldn’t win. It had to have a hater or two.  

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, greento said:

i don't get where the hate for TLT is coming from all of a sudden :katie: theres a reason its doing so well here

No hate for it at all but I frankly don’t think it’s that far and above the other albums.  

crash

loneliest

Dirt femme 

HTG

(Very close between those latter two tho) 

God Thing Twice about to win. 

spacer.png

I knew this song wouldn't win/have a hater or two to bring it down [2] but I'm glad it's top 5 at least :heart: Guess I'm supporting Bad Thing Twice now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.