This Was Pop 2022 | Part 1 | Charli, Rina, Tove & Carly (Winner Revealed!)

greento

This one is really mid and i can't believe it outlasted true highlights like No Thinking Over the Weekend and Bends

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greento

• madonnas

• halcyonday

• CBC

Last of the Carly massacre is out next, it’s another big one

Joshua Tree over Keep Away?? Even Hold The Girl’s title track is better. 

This was still in???? Next time i'm giving it a 0

Dust my shoes before I enter through your doorstep, I was on your side

Y5cV3QS.png

Carly just can’t catch a break at the moment, “Western Wind”, the lead single for her sixth studio album, is out next. She chose this song as the lead for the album as it “was so opposite” to what she normally does. The grief of her grandmother’s passing during the pandemic fuelled her creativity which led to “Western Wind”. Critics have said the song “evokes Stevie Nicks” and that it “recalls her love of James Taylor”. To me, the song is the definition of summer, with its breezy instrumental and relaxing vocals. @supaspaz quotes a wise mind “As the philosopher Christina Aguilera once said, it keeps getting better.” @cockatoo says “It was a poor choice as a lead single but works really well in the context of the album” @gatito - who gave the song his 11 - comments “this song is chill, beautiful, amazing and it makes me so happy”.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @BlackoutZone

11 - @Sanguine

11 - @gatito

10 - 4Real

10 - Temporal

10 - supaspaz

10 - Love Again

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - jacklovesyou1

1 - Born to Run

Erm? Joshua Tree is excellent

If you hate beach house you hate fun :bird:

I know it's complicated, we both feel the distance, I really hope that you'll forgive me one day

pj8Agb8.png

Moving on from Carly, we return to Charli XCX, with the last CRASH bonus track remaining leaving us. “Sorry if I Hurt You” was originally intended to be the title track of the album, but in the end it didn’t even make the standard tracklist. Charli says she likes the title because “a sentence that you can say in the past, present, and future, and it still means the same thing.” This is my personal favourite song from the era and, possibly, ever by Charli. I love the industrial sounding production and I think her vocals convey her emotions so well. @SLIME makes a bold statement: “Her Running Up That Hill moment and no I won't elaborate.” @pavi calls it an “Underrated masterpiece :flame:@Ewan Chaos says “Melancholic Charli always hits hard. If this wasn't called Crash (which is a great title), this would have been an extremely fitting album title.”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Alldeezy

11 - @SLIME

10 - greento

10 - MP2K

10 - pavi

Haters (0s and 1s):

None

I like to feel my bones when they crash into my heart

touJaXE.png

Tove Lo loses a single next, with “Borderline” going out at #23. The song, while not included on the standard Dirt Femme album, I still feel is part of the era. Plus it was included on the new Stripped version of the album Tove released this year, so I thought it deserved a space in the rate. The song was meant to be a part of Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia project but was scrapped and so, for the first time, Tove decided to release a song originally intended for another artist, under her own name. Two ATRLers explained that they prefer Tove’s latest single to this song. @SLIME said “It's fine, maybe I'll like it more one day. I kind of have Tove Lo fatigue after so many songs in a row. I Like U >>>” and @Ewan Chaos said “I Like U outsold, but this is a great song and DEFINITELY should have replaced some songs on the standard. #ThankYouDua”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - greento

10 - Supervillain

10 - MP2K

10 - Born to Run

10 - Love Again

10 - Crashed

Haters (0s and 1s):

I didn’t know borderline was intended for future nostalgia :ohwow:

I'ma love you real, I'ma love you raw, I'ma love you in the kitchen

Sik0sd1.png

Back to Charli now as we bid farewell to “Baby”. The song was accompanied by a choreo heavy music video, which sees Charli challenging herself with one of her toughest routines in a video yet. Charli says “I knew that that was the tone I wanted to carry across for the entire record. This kind of hyper-sexualized, feminine power zone was where I was feeling myself going, and 'Baby' was the genesis of this." @cockatoo explains his divisive views of the song “Sometimes I like this and other times I can't skip it quickly enough”. @Miichael says “This gives such Janet vibes, I love it.” @beomgyu criticises the song: “this is half a song”, he states.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - MP2K

10 - 4Real

10 - kandicha

10 - madonnas

10 - Miichael

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - halcyonday

0 - @GraceRandolph

YIKES. This should've left YEARS ago. absolute TRASH

katy-goat-story-goat-story.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I, I mind, when she looks at you in the way you look at me

FonCu42.png

Just missing out on a top 20 spot is Tove Lo and Channel Tres’ collaboration “Attention *****”. Tove explains that she wrote the song at four in the morning after having a “silly drunk argument” with her husband, “You know when you’re just feeling jealous and sassy and maybe a little bitchy? That’s the essence of this song.” Her choice to feature Channel Tres comes after seeing him perform live: “I’d just seen Channel Tres live at a festival and was floored by his performance—it was sexy and cool and full of attitude. I knew he’d be perfect for this track.” A few ATRLers spoke about the feature. @SLIME says “Love Channel Tres and his voice is so sexy. With that said, the placement here after so many other synthy bops makes me wish they had gone in a more laid-back direction here.” and @supaspaz comments “That feature is giving slight Ark Music Factory vibes, in a good way.” @Ewan Chaos stated “Probably my least favorite of Channel's collabs with our pop girlies, but still a total bop. I'm an attention whooooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-re”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Rev8

11 - @kandicha

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - Supervillain

10 - 4Real

10 - creativity.

10 - Born to Run

10 - Quicksand

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Alldeezy

1 - NewStanner

0 - @Matthew4815

3 minutes ago, greento said:

I'ma love you real, I'ma love you raw, I'ma love you in the kitchen

Sik0sd1.png

Back to Charli now as we bid farewell to “Baby”. The song was accompanied by a choreo heavy music video, which sees Charli challenging herself with one of her toughest routines in a video yet. Charli says “I knew that that was the tone I wanted to carry across for the entire record. This kind of hyper-sexualized, feminine power zone was where I was feeling myself going, and 'Baby' was the genesis of this." @cockatoo explains his divisive views of the song “Sometimes I like this and other times I can't skip it quickly enough”. @Miichael says “This gives such Janet vibes, I love it.” @beomgyu criticises the song: “this is half a song”, he states.

Lovers (10s and 11s):

10 - Ewan Chaos

10 - MP2K

10 - 4Real

10 - kandicha

10 - madonnas

10 - Miichael

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - halcyonday

0 - @GraceRandolph

@Ewan Chaos @MP2K @4Real @kandicha @madonnas

Remind me never to trust your taste again.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, greento said:

I, I mind, when she looks at you in the way you look at me

FonCu42.png

Just missing out on a top 20 spot is Tove Lo and Channel Tres’ collaboration “Attention *****”. Tove explains that she wrote the song at four in the morning after having a “silly drunk argument” with her husband, “You know when you’re just feeling jealous and sassy and maybe a little bitchy? That’s the essence of this song.” Her choice to feature Channel Tres comes after seeing him perform live: “I’d just seen Channel Tres live at a festival and was floored by his performance—it was sexy and cool and full of attitude. I knew he’d be perfect for this track.” A few ATRLers spoke about the feature. @SLIME says “Love Channel Tres and his voice is so sexy. With that said, the placement here after so many other synthy bops makes me wish they had gone in a more laid-back direction here.” and @supaspaz comments “That feature is giving slight Ark Music Factory vibes, in a good way.” @Ewan Chaos stated “Probably my least favorite of Channel's collabs with our pop girlies, but still a total bop. I'm an attention whooooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-re”

Lovers (10s and 11s):

11 - @Rev8

11 - @kandicha

10 - BlackoutZone

10 - Supervillain

10 - 4Real

10 - creativity.

10 - Born to Run

10 - Quicksand

Haters (0s and 1s):

1 - Alldeezy

1 - NewStanner

0 - @Matthew4815

@NewStanner even your exquisite taste flop sometimes

Just now, NewStanner said:

Not us dragging our taste at the same time for these two songs, iconic

jasfsajfsajf

2 minutes ago, kimberly said:

there are too many Hold the Flop songs in this Top 20.

soul-winnie.thumb.gif.7584854a51f495892b300d26ad861cff.gif 

electric chair for the blasphemy 

AbU8Bss.gif

Charli XCX - CRASH (5/16 remaining)

Crash

New Shapes (with Christine and the Queens & Caroline Polachek)

Good Ones

Constant Repeat

Beg for You (with Rina Sawayama)

Move Me

Baby

Lightning

Every Rule

Yuck

Used to Know Me

Twice

Selfish Girl

How Can I Not Know What I Need Right Now

Sorry if I Hurt You

What You Think About Me

Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl (3/13 remaining)

Minor Feelings

Hold The Girl

This Hell

Catch Me In The Air

Forgiveness

Holy (Til You Let Me Go)

Your Age

Imagining

Frankenstein

Hurricanes

Send My Love To John

Phantom

To Be Alive

Tove Lo - Dirt Femme (6/13 remaining)

No One Dies From Love

Suburbia

2 Die 4

True Romance

Grapefruit

Cute & Cruel (with First Aid Kit)

Call on Me (with SG Lewis)

Attention ***** (with Channel Tres)

Pineapple Slice (with SG Lewis)

I'm to Blame

Kick In The Head

How Long

Borderline

Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Time (6/16 remaining)

Surrender My Heart

Joshua Tree

Talking to Yourself

Far Away

Sideways

Beach House

Bends

Western Wind

So Nice

Bad Thing Twice

Shooting Star

Go Find Yourself or Whatever

The Loneliest Time (with Rufus Wainwright)

Anxious

No Thinking Over the Weekend

Keep Away

4 minutes ago, kimberly said:

there are too many Hold the Flop songs in this Top 20.

soul-winnie.thumb.gif.7584854a51f495892b300d26ad861cff.gif 

there's 3 :deadbanana4:

Pretty good top 20 all things considered. Though I’m shocked crash (song) is still in

Just now, halcyonday said:

electric chair for the blasphemy 

AbU8Bss.gif

if there is a god, I know she's stanning Cyber Stockholm Syndrome and not this mess.

AbU8Bss.gif 

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.