• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• family.guy123

• Enrique523

• Betty White

Good for her. Cate Blanchett really rubbed me wrong this whole season, she has a huge team behind her and is going up mentioning how we should abolish award shows and the “televised horse race if it all” as she wins the awards and is the epitome of the person who continues to play into the televised horse races. 

Yeah like you didn’t make this movie just for that award, are trying way too hard with this whole “eco conscious” wardrobe where she “recycles” a dress yet still flies across continents to wear it, attends every event, promotes Armani and Louis Vuitton and acts all friendly especially against Yeoh since she knows that’s her main competition. 

That's blatantly breaking the academy's rules.

9 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Is she implying that the award should be given for a reason other than the performance itself (“would be life-changing”)? 

Most Oscars are not given for “the performance itself”

That’s why:

Geraldine Page won over Whoopi

Al Pacino won over Denzel

Halle won over Sissy Spacek

Meryl won over Viola

Julianne won over Rosamund

Emma won over Natalie & Isabelle

Laura won anything for that nothing performance

etc etc

Narratives are taken into account all the time for white people, and many people DO think Yeoh gave the better performance which is why she beat Cate at SAG, ISAs and several regional critics.

9 hours ago, Harrier said:

the desperation isn't a good look. cate has lost plenty of times, sometimes for very excellent performances. you win some and you lose some 

despite this I would still love to see Michelle win for the rep, and am rooting for her

Imagine sitting here and saying a 2 time Oscar winner & 4 time BAFTA winner (3 times for Best Actress which a WOC still has NEVER won) has “lost plenty of times” like it means anything. I love Cate but a WOC would never be a frontrunner like she is for a cold unsympathetic character in a box office flop like Tar. 

It took the racist Academy nearly 100 years to nominate an Asian woman for Best Actress and only 1 WOC has ever won (for. demeaning role where she had an explicit sex scene with a white man).

Aint nothing wrong with Michelle calling them out.

-

Queen deserves to win with or without narrative, and hopefully with the momentum from SAG will. :clap3: 

6 hours ago, Eternal220 said:

As an asian person living in Asia. I dont get it, if you wanna see an asian actor winning the best actor award, why not just watch asian film award shows. They dominate all categories 

Because you live primarily your whole life in Asia so you won't get it what's like to be a minority. You can't just say "oh they don't value Asians here, let's go back to Asia for acknowledgements".

Michelle earns this, either as a career award or as the best performance of the year. It's overdue time for Oscar to acknowledge an Asian actress' excellent career. It's not like Hollywood won't come up with another Oscar bait for Cate in a couple of years anyway. But it takes 40 years for Hollywood to come up with an excellent role for Asian actors like Ke Huy Quan. And that is being generous with Hollywood.

Edited by Rep2000

11 hours ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

She's right, and shouldn't be afraid to say it.   Cate had no problem campaigning for Riseborough, but Yeoh can't campaign for herself?

11 hours ago, Sazare said:

She didn’t. She posted a whole article, part of which mentioned Cate.

But Cate sucks anyway, both as a person and as an actress so I’m unbothered. I do wish Michelle (and other actors of color) would stop craving the validation of these historically racist institutions though. I get that they can be a major boon to someone’s career but I think she can easily ride off the hype she earned with EEAAO from here on out, with or without an Oscar win

/endthread 

7 hours ago, Eternal220 said:

As an asian person living in Asia. I dont get it, if you wanna see an asian actor winning the best actor award, why not just watch asian film award shows. They dominate all categories 

Delete this :rip:

the article also praised cate, it just stated what everyone has been saying the whole time, she already has 2 oscars and certainly will get more noms / wins in the future while this is michelle's only chance at winning for a well-deserved performance.

though she shouldn't have posted the part mentioning cate by name as it breaks the academy rules.

9 hours ago, Eternal220 said:

In all the years I’ve been here, this is the most blatantly racist thing I’ve ever seen. And that’s saying something. What an idiot. 

14 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

She didn’t go far enough. The Oscars are racist. 

Yep. And it's such an old antiquated institution that doesn't really fit into the world today. I don't really pay attention to them or watch anymore (and judging by the ratings a lot of people stopped paying attention and watching esp Gen Z). They feel stuck in the 1950s.

Edited by imabadkid

2 hours ago, Margaux said:

atleast michelle yeoh has no smelly feet unlike cate. ha

?????????? :deadbanana4:

we all know the final campaigning is all about narratives when you're like the top 3 choices left in the field

btadzp49fdea.gif

She is right and she SHOULD say it. :clap3:

Cate already has one undeserved Oscar (for The Aviator), so she doesn't deserve a 3rd one, especially when Michelle actually has the most acclaimed role of the year.

Here I am still waiting for the day we stop pretending like a bunch of elitist racists should determine whether a movie/actor is good or not. That's the real issue - How corrupt and asymmetrical these awards are, to begin with. But as long as managements keep their artists all hush hush about it because they are excellent promo tools nothing's significant is going to change. 

9 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Arent you happy when you got recognition at work? 

It's nice to get awards but to beg for them or fume if you're not nominated or don't win, is just...

16 minutes ago, MaoMars said:

I think the problem is that YOU are giving too much importance to Oscars, everyone knows there are excellent actors that were never even invited to the ceremony much less been contenders to the award. It does not define the quality of an actor/movie, it's just an awards show. Like a circus where only the most arrogant and insufferable are invited.

btadzp49fdea.gif

I love how people are finally waking up to the façade of Hollywood :clap3: 

OT: Good for her. I haven't watched any of the other nominee's performances, but Michelle gave a fantastic, demanding and Oscar worthy performance. 

She's trying to use the same politics that have been used against her FOR her and I can't blame her for that. 

Edited by cypriotpcdfan

Updated OP with new link, it looks like her team is working to kill the story

6 hours ago, rihannafan said:

That's blatantly breaking the academy's rules.

Do you have a link on this?

16 minutes ago, Dark Phoenix said:

Updated OP with new link, it looks like her team is working to kill the story

In what way? Just deletion of her IG and from her stories now too? That's just...her.

You're implying they're literally trying to get press coverage of this dropped too - where and how?

I'm sorry but this is really embarrassing. The award should be given to the best performance, and that's Cate Blanchett by a lot. This is a DESPERATE attempt at getting new votes in the very last second. She could have done this once the nominations came out (which was the right time). This is not classy

She's right :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.