Michelle Yeoh holds The Academy accountable, deletes post after backlash

Dark Phoenix

Just now, family.guy123 said:

Olivia Colman thought the same thing. 

Not remotely comparable and you know that. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• family.guy123

• Enrique523

• Betty White

39 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Her manager literally masterminded the private events which broke the rules and the social media posts from the attendees, for which the rules are being amended, after the fact. The notion she wasn't personally involved is gaslighting at it's finest. 

Private events happen all the time. Kirsten Stewart had all her Oscar winning friends like Julianne Moore & Rami Malek throw private events for her last year. But posting an article on your IG about how your fellow nominee does not deserve to win is in poor taste.

1 minute ago, SharonStone said:

Private events happen all the time. Kirsten Stewart had all her Oscar winning friends like Julianne Moore & Rami Malek throw private events for her last year. But posting an article on your IG about how your fellow nominee does not deserve to win is in poor taste.

The bylaws are posted earlier in this thread. Some rule-breaking and bending is better than others? This is exactly what I'm talking about. 

I've been consistent here that I don't think Cate and Michelle's performances are even comparable as they're valuing different film artforms but these are the double standards Viola was attempting to call out and got wrecked over it. 

9 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Should've unpacked this further and there's layers to this, fine.

1) Andrea opened the floodgates to not playing fair and breaking several rules, catching the Academy flat-flooted because they hadn't reformed

2) Cate co-signs a "grassroots" effort to get Andrea a nomination that in actuality is revealed to be anything but "grassroots"

3) Viola calls out the rule-breaking then several Academy members say she's trying to get an affirmative action vote, being "woke"

4) Michelle saw her luck of early runs start to turn towards Cate and frustrated with the growing backlash, also called out double standards

5) Backlash grows against Viola for not shutting up (as she shouldn't), resulting in her being pissed at the BAFTA's

6) Backlash grows against Michelle because she was seen as having a greater chance than Andrea and she takes down her post

7) Backlash with Michelle supporters grows against Cate for being able to wipe her hands clean of her involvement with Andrea

8) Observers notice the double standard in the reaction towards Andrea vs. Michelle

Everyone's hands are dirty, but my point remains that a lot of this could've been avoided if Andrea played by the rules. 

1) I still don’t understand what rules she personally broke. I’m prepared to be informed. 

2) On this topic, I’m only aware of Cate mentioning Andrea in her speech. Even if the campaign wasn’t “grassroots”, I’m still not sure what the issue is in admiring several performances and bringing attention to them. 
3) This is gross and racist. 
4) Where exactly was her luck running out? 
5) gross

6) I believe the backlash was for mentioning Cate which potentially broke the rules. I don’t really know what you mean by her having a greater chance than Andrea, resulting in the take down of the post

7) wipe her hands clean of what exactly? What did she do?

1 hour ago, family.guy123 said:

Olivia Colman is a white woman. Completely different situation. As a Asian woman, Michelle will never have as many roles proposed to her in Hollywood as someone like Olivia or Cate can have. 

EEAAO is having gigantic momentum all over the awards. If Michelle can't win the Oscar despite having ALL THAT MOMENTUM then she'll simply never win. It's as simple as that unfortunately.

Edited by Enrique523

4 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

1) I still don’t understand what rules she personally broke. I’m prepared to be informed. 

2) On this topic, I’m only aware of Cate mentioning Andrea in her speech. Even if the campaign wasn’t “grassroots”, I’m still not sure what the issue is in admiring several performances and bringing attention to them. 
3) This is gross and racist. 
4) Where exactly was her luck running out? 
5) gross

6) I believe the backlash was for mentioning Cate which potentially broke the rules. I don’t really know what you mean by her having a greater chance than Andrea, resulting in the take down of the post

7) wipe her hands clean of what exactly? What did she do?

It's going to take a half hour to go through all of this in terms of the links and I've got some other things going on but someone else can answer in the meantime. I'll get back to this later.

She might be right but this is cringeworthy coming from the nominee themselves.

5 hours ago, Espresso said:

It's going to take a half hour to go through all of this in terms of the links and I've got some other things going on but someone else can answer in the meantime. I'll get back to this later.

Honestly, it’s ok. Thank you for your patience. 

6 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

I cant believe u said this :bibliahh:

5 hours ago, Enrique523 said:

Olivia Colman is a white woman. Completely different situation. As a Asian woman, Michelle will never have as many roles proposed to her in Hollywood as someone like Olivia or Cate can have. 

EEAAO is having gigantic momentum all over the awards. If Michelle can't win the Oscar despite having ALL THAT MOMENTUM then she'll simply never win. It's as simple as that unfortunately.

Yes perfectly said

Ok sorry. The way people talk about her I thought she was some prestigious actress so I had some optimism. Looking at her filmography now, I understand where you’re coming from. My bad.

8 hours ago, Mordecai said:

See I really don't like takes like this because they imply that POC only win because of identity politics and not the merits of their actual performance.

It's like you're forgetting Michelle was sweeping a majority of the critics awards before Cate overtook her once the major precursors hit.

People wanting Michelle to win to make history is just the cherry on top. And let's be real, do you really think most of the (old and white) Academy members care about that lol? They've snubbed WOC time and time again in this category, they don't care

Exactly, which is why Michelle doesn't deserve to win and shouldn't win. Just because she's Asian doesn't make her the only one worthy of winning. Cate bodied her performance and has won precursors indicative of winning an Oscar just like Yeoh. She's more worthy having seen all performances nominated.  .

6 hours ago, Espresso said:

Not remotely comparable and you know that. 

Pretty sure with this new movement in the industry she'll more than likely be winning Best Actress next year, if not in a few years, if she happens to lose. :toofunny3:

"The Daniels" most definitely have another one of these overrated anomalies disguised as award worthy films in their basket of crap somewhere. She'll be fine.  

15 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

Ok sorry. The way people talk about her I thought she was some prestigious actress so I had some optimism. Looking at her filmography now, I understand where you’re coming from. My bad.

:skull:

2 hours ago, QueenBLadyG said:

Michelle doesn't deserve to win and shouldn't win

2 hours ago, QueenBLadyG said:

Pretty sure with this new movement in the industry she'll more than likely be winning Best Actress next year, if not in a few years, if she happens to lose. :toofunny3:

"The Daniels" most definitely have another one of these overrated anomalies disguised as award worthy films in their basket of crap somewhere. She'll be fine.  

I have never read consecutively WRONG opinions one post after another like this. You calling EEAAO crap alone discredits your opinion :rip:

15 hours ago, yonsé said:

disagreeing about WHAT? you just told on yourself.

Disagreeing that she should be given the award simply because she's "overdue" for it. If Blanchett gave a better performance than her, then she deserves it. It doesn't matter what angle Yeoh uses to justify her stance.

7 hours ago, Weld_E said:

I have never read consecutively WRONG opinions one post after another like this. You calling EEAAO crap alone discredits your opinion :rip:

That's not the way "opinions" work :lmao:

You're easily entertained. It was a complete and utter try hard mess of a movie which lost itself completely in the third act. 

13 hours ago, QueenBLadyG said:

Just because she's Asian doesn't make her the only one worthy of winning. 

Except Asian women literally NEVER win ever. The fact that you act as if there's this conspiracy against WHITE WOMEN of all people is laughable, especially against someone who's already won 2 ******* Oscars :toofunny3:

Also the fact that you hated EEAAO so much clearly shows that you were unable to look at Michelle's performance objectively. It's ok to not like the movie but her performance was phenomenal.

19 hours ago, Enrique523 said:

I truly hope this isn’t the argument she's campaigning on because this is basically exposing why she shouldn't win :rip:

I haven't seen Tar yet so I'm fully on the Michelle train, though.

11 hours ago, Weld_E said:

Right? It's impossible to take that seriously. It's ok to not like the film but it's objectively NOT "crap" in any way. There's a reason why it resonated with so many people and won so many awards despite clearly being a underdog at first.

1 hour ago, Katy V.! said:

I truly hope this isn’t the argument she's campaigning on because this is basically exposing why she shouldn't win :rip:

I haven't seen Tar yet so I'm fully on the Michelle train, though.

What do you mean "this is why she shouldn't win"? :rip:

Michelle should win because she gave an incredible performance, it's that simple. Her performance and the movie resonated with more people overall than Cate with Tar.

Just now, Enrique523 said:

What do you mean "this is why she shouldn't win"? :rip:

Michelle should win because she gave an incredible performance, it's that simple. Her performance and the movie resonated with more people overall than Cate with Tar.

The Academy doesn't like to award first-time nominees that (they feel like) cannot sustain that level of acclaim / success.  "This is her only shot and she'll never have the chance to do something remotely close" is basically telling them NOT to award her.

Yall need to remember that the Academy voters are not only racists, they're also snobs and pretentious so giving them more ammo is... a weird choice. 

1 hour ago, Katy V.! said:

Yall need to remember that the Academy voters are not only racists, they're also snobs and pretentious so giving them more ammo is... a weird choice. 

I see what you mean and i don't completely disagree. Unfortunately the Oscars still have some weight in the industry and it could have negative impact for future representation in films, that's what i'm worried about. If even with all that hype Michelle still can't win there's literally no chance for any other potential win in the future.

disgusting and unacceptable behavior on pity campaign, everyone is right she wont get any good role script again. tainting the prestige award, disrespect among actress peers and danielle deadwyler cruelly snubbed for mean and horrible persons? hope she will get blacklisted and never return to screen ever after ceremony.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.