Michelle Yeoh holds The Academy accountable, deletes post after backlash

Dark Phoenix

2 hours ago, Polgg48 said:

disgusting and unacceptable behavior on pity campaign, everyone is right she wont get any good role script again. tainting the prestige award, disrespect among actress peers and danielle deadwyler cruelly snubbed for mean and horrible persons? hope she will get blacklisted and never return to screen ever after ceremony.

You want her to get blacklisted for something innocuous as this? I genuinely don't understand the overreaction. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• family.guy123

• Enrique523

• Betty White

Some posters here are really showing their asses.

All she did was share the ENTIRE article (which she didn’t write) that wasn’t even about Cate and barely mentioned her. People are just looking for an excuse to hate on her and punch her down for no valid reason.

4 hours ago, Polgg48 said:

disgusting and unacceptable behavior on pity campaign, everyone is right she wont get any good role script again. tainting the prestige award, disrespect among actress peers and danielle deadwyler cruelly snubbed for mean and horrible persons? hope she will get blacklisted and never return to screen ever after ceremony.

Girl take a Xanax or something :bibliahh: "Tainting the prestige award" as if ANYONE outside of niche Internet nerd communities are talking about this :toofunny3:

Im sorry why is the Beyonce stan out here defending the Academy’s “excellence” when the same argument he uses against Michelle can be used against Beyonce (and we all know it was unfair lmao)

EEAAO is one of the worst, overrated, and convoluted movies I’ve ever seen. :angel:

If she wins the trophy should be revoked on stage

10 hours ago, ShouldersSideways said:

You want her to get blacklisted for something innocuous as this? I genuinely don't understand the overreaction. 

9 hours ago, Weld_E said:

Some posters here are really showing their asses.

All she did was share the ENTIRE article (which she didn’t write) that wasn’t even about Cate and barely mentioned her. People are just looking for an excuse to hate on her and punch her down for no valid reason.

podcast-image-racist-ad9046b46108eaa6128

The category should be cancel all together. It’s tainted.

If she loses tonight she's gonna be boo boo the fool

6 hours ago, Buffy said:

EEAAO is one of the worst, overrated, and convoluted movies I’ve ever seen. :angel:

It's horrible. And her role was not demanding or interesting, Cate outsold.

14 hours ago, Weld_E said:

It had an entire paragraph dedicated to reasons why Cate shouldn’t win :toofunny3: 

5 hours ago, Anye said:

The category should be cancel all together. It’s tainted.

Between the racist Academy members calling Viola woke, Andrea's dirty campaign, Cate co-signing which she got to wipe her hands clean of as if it never happened, and Michelle's piece, this is one of the dirtiest categories in decades. Brings me back to Harvey's glory years in the early 2000's.

I wouldn't have said this immediately after Michelle made her post but I have to agree. 

Cate will ultimately win tonight is my prediction. If she hadn't gotten involved with Andrea I wouldn't have a problem with it. 

One hypothetical theory, kinda stupid. If she hadn't have said anything and Cate still won, Michelle would've been the silent martyr, which I almost feel would've been much more effective. Maybe empty symbolism, but I don't know.

It's impact on the goals she described in her piece if she wins or not we can only make sense of years down the line so in the meantime, none of us know.

20 hours ago, Polgg48 said:

... are you ok

On 3/10/2023 at 1:20 PM, Espresso said:

Because Cate co-signed Andrea Riseborough’s dirty campaign that broke Academy rules, which subsequently blocked two black nominees and signaled she was willing to let Michelle’s votes be subsequently divided amidst the Academy so she could sweep out on top.

Andrea’s dirty campaign is not getting half the criticism that Michelle’s actions are that arguably aren’t as bad.

Even if Andrea had still done what she did but Cate had no comment, she wouldn’t have been tied up in as much of this

Do you critically think about these points or just repeat internet rhetorics? If Andrea splits votes from Michelle, it splits from Cate too. If anything, it takes more votes from Cate. Viola Davis also praised Andrea on sm. It only became an issue when the cookies crumbles on nominations morning. 

2 hours ago, Icarus said:

It had an entire paragraph dedicated to reasons why Cate shouldn’t win :toofunny3: 

Like...how do they not see how weird that is? Going on IG posting articles about how your competition doesn't deserve to win. Poor Film Twitter, their precious actresses all being corrupt and thirsty for an Oscar to the point of breaking the rules.

I've not seen EEAAO but Michelle has been incredibly mediocre in most of what I've seen of her filmography. But maybe she stepped it up for this film. Cate is clearly the better actor though

51 minutes ago, Bey'Knight said:

Do you critically think about these points or just repeat internet rhetorics? If Andrea splits votes from Michelle, it splits from Cate too. If anything, it takes more votes from Cate. Viola Davis also praised Andrea on sm. It only became an issue when the cookies crumbles on nominations morning. 

Viola's praise of Andrea's performance is separate from her criticism of the process by which she was nominated and the notion she'd take more from Cate is highly subjective. Your arguments aren't some watermark objective standard I'm oblivious to. 

Everyone looks bad here so I'm not trying to set a narrative in favor of anyone at this point. It's just a mess all around, period.

3 hours ago, Betty White said:

It's horrible. And her role was not demanding or interesting, Cate outsold.

9 hours ago, Buffy said:

Are y’all white?

She is right, this sentiments had also have been used by black actors/actress or black musicians on campaigning their body of works and it worked out for them. I dont see nothing wrong with what she did. Like it or not,  It will be a hystorical defining moment not only for her but for other  asian actress/actors. She did nothing wrong.  And i can see academy will make her win, they gave parasite best picture its just a matter of time until someone snatched acting category. 

Edited by Pinter

22 minutes ago, cockatoo said:

I've not seen EEAAO but 

Then why keep typing 

50 minutes ago, perfillusion said:

Like...how do they not see how weird that is? Going on IG posting articles about how your competition doesn't deserve to win. Poor Film Twitter, their precious actresses all being corrupt and thirsty for an Oscar to the point of breaking the rules.

a gaga stan attacking michelle, i'm so surprised

1 hour ago, Espresso said:

Viola's praise of Andrea's performance is separate from her criticism of the process by which she was nominated and the notion she'd take more from Cate is highly subjective. Your arguments aren't some watermark objective standard I'm oblivious to. 

Everyone looks bad here so I'm not trying to set a narrative in favor of anyone at this point. It's just a mess all around, period.

But you think Cate should be apportioned some blame for naming Andrea as a standout performer once during an acceptance speech? Michelle has the acclaimed performance, acclaimed picture and narrative. It’s sad you stans have to resort to vilifying  the competition. 

Just as it is subjective that Andrea is taking votes away from Michelle. This is why your argument doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. You are picking and choosing who should be blamed for what.  

9 minutes ago, Bey'Knight said:

But you think Cate should be apportioned some blame for naming Andrea as a standout performer once during an acceptance speech? Michelle has the acclaimed performance, acclaimed picture and narrative. It’s sad you stans have to resort to vilifying  the competition. 

Just as it is subjective that Andrea is taking votes away from Michelle. This is why your argument doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. You are picking and choosing who should be blamed for what.  

Stans? If you bothered reading any of my posts in this thread I'm not stanning for anyone.

I enjoyed every woman's performance in this category and I literally said much earlier that I think Cate and Michelle are giving vastly different performances valuing different artforms that in an ideal world shouldn't be compared. 

Andrea broke rules, period, full stop. Michelle broke rules, period, full stop. The president is only saying neither did for PR because they'd never reformed their rules on social media, specifically. Also said in the statement they would be formally revisiting the rules, after the fact. As for who was worse and who received and is receiving bigger backlash is clearly up for debate, a debate that is currently raging and will be raging for quite some time. 

Did Cate have the right to praise Andrea's performance? I never said she didn't. Where it gets messy is in terms of what promotion is allowed by the fellow contestants according to rules that haven't been fixed yet and the politics of praising someone while knowing they've already broken Academy rules in the first place. That debate is ALSO currently raging amongst members of the Academy and film critics on Twitter, etc.

Don't change what I said to fit your narrative please.

Blame goes to everyone in that category. If we want to break down who deserves more, we can have that conversation. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.