Rolling Stone 200 Greatest Singers of All Time

luckythisway

3 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

The idea of their lunatic fans going around Twitter bragging about BTS' Jungkook being one of the greatest singers of all time is simply nauseating :deadbanana4:

rolling stone includes one of the members because they need to get the clicks sweetie, they need to keep the lights on some way.

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlamSlam

• luckythisway

• FolkLover1989

• suburbannature

The top 10 is good, but some of the lower positions are laughable! But in the end, these lists are very arbitrary.

Dolly in the top 30. :clap3:It's nice to see all the members of Trio in the top 100. Emmylou and Linda didn't make the original list.

Only two South Koreans singers in the list and they're IU (deserved top 50) and.... Jungkook.  :bibliahh:

Celine not there but a BTS member is :bibliahh:

MJ was an iconic performer but he was no vocalist 

2 hours ago, conquxror said:

i just opened the list and rosalia and kelly clarkson — aka TRAINED vocalists — are below bts’ jungkook who can barely sing on pitch :rip:

And they added ***** IU over Taeyeon. :rip:

Top 10 is fine but after that it's a complete trainwreck,TS shouldn't even be on a list about vocals but the fact that she's above Jazmine,Frank Ocean, Brandy, Kelly etc is a bigger MESS :rip:

Also Celine done dirty

This unserious list 😭

50 minutes ago, charot said:

The person behind this list is probably an Aretha stan and this incident had something to do with the Celine erasure

---

Critics are a joke!

Oh wow. This explains Tina Turner being so low and Gladys Knight out of top 100 too.:bibliahh:

I love Taylor but her name being on this list is a set up to get her dragged. It was probably that delusional stan Rob something that added her there.

57 minutes ago, charot said:

The person behind this list is probably an Aretha stan and this incident had something to do with the Celine erasure

---

Critics are a joke!

:rip::toofunny3:

Gaga and Ariana Grande #58 #43  but Michael Jackson only #86 ? I love them but hell no .

Taylor offkey 103 is right

8 minutes ago, 4Real said:

I love Taylor but her name being on this list is a set up to get her dragged. It was probably that delusional stan Rob something that added her there.

Very much true. Taylor doesn't deserve her spot here.

The criteria for this list is so weird. It's like they couldn't decide between making a Best Vocalists or a Best Artists list so we end up with this mess :rip:

Celine missing but Taylor, Abel (two of my favs, but let's be serious), Lana and Jungkook making it is insane:rip:

Taylor and Rihanna do not belong on this list, and especially not above Kelly Clarkson and Jazmine Sullivan :deadbanana4:

And Celine Dion being missing is the biggest crime of all here.

A whole top 200 and not a single one is Celine Dion. What a joke.

25 minutes ago, Not Like The Movies said:

Top 10 is fine but after that it's a complete trainwreck,TS shouldn't even be on a list about vocals but the fact that she's above Jazmine,Frank Ocean, Brandy, Kelly etc is a bigger MESS :rip:

Also Celine done dirty

This unserious list 😭

16 minutes ago, Gagaqueen said:

Gaga and Ariana Grande #58 #43  but Michael Jackson only #86 ? I love them but hell no .

Taylor offkey 103 is right

Same...like I stan Gaga but there's no way even on Chromatica she's a better singer than Celine who's 404.

What's even the point of this :psyduck: Like either make a best vocalist or best artist list but it makes no sense to arbitrarily do a mix of both and end up with this mess

1 hour ago, ReH2o said:

#1 Aretha Franklin
#2 Whitney Houston
#4 Billie Holiday
#5 Mariah Carey
#8 Beyoncé
#18 Celia Cruz
#21 Nina Simone
#22 Adele
#25 Mary J Blige
#27 Dolly Parton
#29 Chaka Khan
#40 Aaliyah :rip:
#41 Etta James
#43 Ariana Grande
#48 Toni Braxton
#51 Sade
#55 Tina Turner
#58 Lady Gaga
#60 Kate Bush
#64 Bjork
#68 Rihanna
#74 Patti Labelle
#78 Janis Joplin
#83 Amy Winehouse
#87 Diana Ross
#89 Selena
#93 Stevie Nicks
#101 Gladys Knight
#102 Taylor Swift :rip:
#111 Fiona Apple
#117 Patti Smith
#122 Donna Summer
#128 Florence Welch
#130 Courtney Love
#136 Lauryn Hill
#139 Rocio Durcal
#141 Christina Aguilera
#147 Barbra Streisand
#158 Carrie Underwood
#168 Debbie Harry
#175 Lana del Rey :rip:
#180 Sza
#182 Jazmine Sullivan
#185 Alicia Keys
#193 Brandy
#194 Kelly Clarkson
#198 Billie Eilish
#200 Rosalía

Celine Dion N/A

Taylor Swift being a better vocalist than Jazmine Sullivan AND Donna Summers?!!:bibliahh:

I STAN Riri, but to have her ranked above Patti LaBelle like that with no shame?? Patti may be local but she is so criminally underrated as a singer.

Bey is a superb singer, but she's too technical and overrated as a vocalist, and should've been top 30 imo.

I would scrap that entire list and to be quite honest, not many male singers would've been in the top 50. Only male vocalists I can think of in the history of music that could give even the best female singers a run for their money was Sam Cooke and Freddie Mercury!

Majority of the male vocalists listed are decent but nothing superb, and the random placement of a BTS member, like why?💀

Also a shame that Minnie Ripperton and Phyllis Hyman weren't on this list. Wonder what the criterias were for this list, if any. 

2 hours ago, Ace Reject said:

Oh, poor Legend X. 

She’s still on the list. Obviously should be higher on the list.

the real crime is the Celine Dion snub

Some of the entries/placements were definitely a choice but I think a lot of you forget that RS is still, at its core, a rock/pop culture mag so their criteria for best singers is not gonna be based purely on technical ability and skill. They likely also took into account vocal influence, timbre, distinction, character and versatility. Still, I am gagging at the complete Celíne omission, especially in lieu of recent events with her vocal health. I hope she doesn't look at this list :-(

oh and I think Beyoncé's write up was great. I feel like her voice and vocal prowess is just starting to get its just due credit in the media.

The list was made by Rolling Stone, so of course P!nk is nowhere near it. 

I guess she's a bad vocalist, then :ducky:

The article does specify it's not about vocals.

"Before you start scrolling (and commenting), keep in mind that this is the Greatest Singers list, not the Greatest Voices List. Talent is impressive; genius is transcendent. Sure, many of the people here were born with massive pipes, perfect pitch, and boundless range.

In all cases, what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy."

But to leave Celine Dion outta this list is wild, ngl.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.