Rolling Stone 200 Greatest Singers of All Time

luckythisway

The female ranking HAD promise towards the top, the bottom half is a mess.

They mostly got it RIGHT. Jennifer Hudson should be HIGH.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlamSlam

• luckythisway

• FolkLover1989

• suburbannature

Oh wait, panned singer Rihanna is above Kelly Clarkson and Barbara Streisand :biblio:. List cancelled then.

3 minutes ago, istan4badgalriri said:

Well you're stuck in 2012 and it might be time to accept she's universally recognized as a great singer with a strong voice. She put herself up there with "Anti".

She was good way before ANTI. The only times I’d considering her bad as a vocalist was during her MOTS/AGLM eras because she was young, untrained, and lacked control (still had a lot of raw power tho). By GGGB she had really come into her voice with it getting more defined (and her gaining more control and technical precision) as the years went by. In fact, Rated R is some of the best music Rihanna has produced vocally (look at her AOL sessions). She was 21/22 then. 

The misconception comes from the fact that she’s lazy and inconsistent live. With more bad performances than good ones. 

• ATRL Moderator

kelly being only #194 is embarassing

Rihanna is ranked 68

She is the Frank Sinatra of our generation. She can turn anything into gold with that voice

This is hilarious once you stop taking it seriously :ahh:

Tina Turner NOT top 10 so obviously a BAD list :redface:

Love Beyonce and Mimi's top 10 :party:But junkhook and taylor sneaks + no celine makes this list garbage :biblio:

The way they’re fueling the delusional Taylor stans more.

Taylor has some nice songs, but the way the media has massively overpraised her for decades is truly astounding. 

Céline not making an appearance at all is beyond crazy. Like who in the hell was sitting down writing this list :deadbanana4:

5 minutes ago, JoJo said:

Rihanna is ranked 68

This is hilarious once you stop taking it seriously :ahh:

Not really. Rih has a great tone that works well for making songs. I don't agree that she should be placed above certain artists, wouldn't place her in the top 100, but that Chris Martin quote makes a lot of sense.

Jungkook in this list when Celine Dion isn't? :deadbanana4:

11 minutes ago, istan4badgalriri said:

Well you're stuck in 2012 and it might be time to accept she's universally recognized as a great singer with a strong voice. She put herself up there with "Anti".

"Strong voice" is totally a hyperbole lmao. She's decent at best.

OT: I'd place Beyoncé over Mariah any day. I'm curious to hear how Bey's voice will appear next summer. 

Gaga should be way higher though, and of course Adele is too overrated. 

Gaga should’ve been top 40.

Sinatra should’ve been top 10. 
Rih & Taylor should’ve been OUT of the top 100. Do agree that Rih has one of the best tones in pop music tho, and definitely deserves a spot. 
Celine should be on in the first place :deadvision: Don’t think I saw Louis Armstrong either? Bs 

Edited by luckythisway

27 minutes ago, ReH2o said:

#1 Aretha Franklin

Celine Dion N/A

The person behind this list is probably an Aretha stan and this incident had something to do with the Celine erasure

---

Critics are a joke!

Edited by charot

2 minutes ago, Pepo said:

"Strong voice" is totally a hyperbole lmao. She's decent at best.

OT: I'd place Beyoncé over Mariah any day. I'm curious to hear how Bey's voice will appear next summer. 

Gaga should be way higher though, and of course Adele is too overrated. 

Well I'm not the one who said it first, Rolling Stone just did. Or you can also read the "Lift Me Up" reviews.

I could count the Spanish-speaking singers with one hand. Not surprised tho

Also don’t Edith Piaf and Amy Lee always make these lists? I didn’t see them here.

And many have already pointed out the obvious sneaks here, but I want to also mention Prince. Call him a musical genius and whatever but he had an awful voice.

To put it short: ridiculous list.

Edited by Jeremiah

1 hour ago, luckythisway said:

Thoughts? 

And prayers.

They got Beyoncé in the Top 10 right though.

37 minutes ago, istan4badgalriri said:

She doesn’t have a spectacular voice (compared to Adele, Beyoncé, etc) but she has variety and range. Not many girls can say that. 

RS has always been a bit messy, but they've become absolute stan-pandering TRASH in these last five years. Rob Sheffield needs to GO :hoetenks:

28 minutes ago, JoJo said:

How tf is Kelly Clarkson below Lana Del Rey and Taylor :deadbanana:

Probably because this isn’t a best vocalist list. They are ranking based on this “In all cases, what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy”. 

The moment I saw BTS' Junkook I rolled my eyes and closed the page. These publications have 0 prestige nowadays because how are you going to include that in it and not thee Celine Dion, be serious pls :rip:

And Taylor over the likes of Christina, SZA, Lauryn, Alicia, Florence, Donna or Kelly? :skull:

Edited by Cloudy

3 minutes ago, istan4badgalriri said:

Well I'm not the one who said it first, Rolling Stone just did. Or you can also read the "Lift Me Up" reviews.

Hence the 68th position, right? :redface:

Regardless, her voice has certainly matured in the past years. 

10 minutes ago, ATWK said:

RS has always been a bit messy, but they've become absolute stan-pandering TRASH in these last five years. Rob Sheffield needs to GO :hoetenks:

The idea of their lunatic fans going around Twitter bragging about BTS' Jungkook being one of the greatest singers of all time is simply nauseating :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.