• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catsandlabneh

• mellenthin

• FlyPirate

• RT Air

I guess she really didn’t explore actually harnessing music from mushrooms for her mushroom album. I wonder if it was too obvious she thought, or if it just never crossed her mind. Would love to know the answer because it’s such a Björk thing to do and sounds like it would fit right in on this record. Odd!

She spent a year working with director Andrew Huang and James Merry, her mask maker and co-creative director, to dream up and film a ritual funeral procession in a mountain valley, set to both “Sorrowful Soil” and “Ancestress.” (One part was shot beside a volcano, she adds, “Because it’s about the mother energy, so the volcano is obviously giving that.”) This visual requiem to her mother will come out when Björk is ready, after some of Fossora’s lighter, more puckish singles. Though wary of sensationalizing her grief, she hopes the film will help form a “protective bubble” around her mother’s memory.

I am Scre amin g

björk interviews always give me joy, the way she talks about things is just :skull: :rip:

53 minutes ago, Mykonos said:

I am Scre amin g

I kind of hope we get it right before the album so we get to experience those songs along the short film

That was my favorite music cover story I’ve ever read. She gives chaotic energy in the coolest way imaginable.

And the fact that even after the Ovule video with Nick Knight we’re still getting a dual-feature video for Sorrowful Soil and Ancestress, too :deadvision:

I think it’s interesting that they appeared to praise the album - the subhead of the story calls it “remarkable,” and the writer specifically calls Sorrowful Soil and Ancestress “bold artistic strides” that “exert a centrifugal force on the album with their luminous grandiosity.” Is she about to release a sixth perfect album to join Post, Homo, Vespertine, Medulla, and Vulnicura? I’m so excited, and so desperate for it to get here at the same time. She also describes it as “an Icelandic album,” and we all know that Homogenic was the other one she described that way.

Truthfully I think I’ve only ever anticipated an album in this way from Taylor, my perennial favorite artist (though she has to share that space now) - and I think it’s in part because it’s so rare to find an artist whose creative engine keeps on burning this bright in spite of, or even in part because of, the passage if time. For this record, I might not even listen if it L-words, and to even think of respecting a release date like that is severely out of character for me. It’s fascinating how literally nothing slows her down to any meaningful extent.

I really, really can’t wait. Not too long now!

7 minutes ago, lovedaddy said:

FdHS5glXwAA_oKi?format=jpg&name=large

UnPpTiB.gif

Loved this review. I just know Sorrowful Soil, Ancestress, Victimhood and Freefall are gonna destroy my soul

Remember that Pitchfork also praised Utopia :rip: So them liking Fossora  dont mean sh** 

10 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

she can't even buy some 5 star reviews? Isadora's college tuition must be expensive

UnPpTiB.gif

MOJO gave Utopia 3 stars so the mushroom album keeps winning

UnPpTiB.gif

30 minutes ago, Raptus said:

Remember that Pitchfork also praised Utopia :rip:

Just like everyone else with taste would. Makes me have high hopes about Fossora, too.

UnPpTiB.gif

If the only “criticism” in there is that it’s not “earwormy” or whatever then I trust it’s gonna be great :heart2: Makes sense that they’d dock her a star for that in the age of severe and excessive poptimism though! We hate it here! In all seriousness though, it’s a decent review and made me more intrigued to hear songs like Freefall.

Yeah I'm not worried about the main criticism being that there aren't any hits on here. Like I'm loving Atopos and Ovule and think they are "bops" by post-Volta Bjork standards. If reviews are positive so far and the work just builds on what the two singles are doing then I have no doubt this will be better than Utopia and Vulnicura for me.

It's kinda silly to see critics still mentioning Björk albums have no hits. Her last album with a song that could've been a hit outside alternative radio happened in 1995, and even for alternative radio her last "melodic" song was Crystalline. It's so lame to keep mentioning it.